Full scan much too slow

gerikay

I have installed Kaspersky total security on a Windows 10 laptop with 1TB drive.  When I tried to run a full scan it had only 24% completed after 27 hours.  I have restarted the scan a few more times but the speed of the scan seems to be the same - 1% taking over 2 hours.

Could the prog be faulty or is there a work around ?

Sorry, I’m not ignoring you.  I had run a CHKDSK overnight before I read any reply.  Then I tried a defrag - it hung at 1% for hours.  Now I cant get into computer.Sometimes as far as sign in and then no further than next screen.  Restart in safe mode not working.  Task manager tried once but nothing.  Still trying to reboot from partitioned drive.  I am far from being an expert and I’ve had a rough couple of days with this.  Thanks

Hi Berny, yes I took a back up days ago because the machine was acting so crazy.  It belongs to a guy in his 90s and I haven’t a clue what he’s been doing with it.  He has different issues with every time I see him, god love him.  I’m starting a re-install of windows.  Fingers crossed ,and thanks for your help.