Free Edn resolving all browser URLs to Kaspersky and timing out.

Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

Afternoon All,

Installed Kaspersky Free yesterday (05 Jun 2024) in Win 7 SP1 x64.

Would be grateful if anyone could shed light on the problems below.

1) The Pause Protection context menu from the Kaspersky task bar icon is now greyed out. It was there yesterday after install as I used it. How do I *completely* turn off Kaspersky without having to fiddle with each and every Kaspersky component?

2) Every Chrome browser URL tries to resolve to a Kaspersky URL- which then times out. bbc.co.uk resolves to gc.kis.v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com.

I've turned off Safe Browsing, Network Attack Blocker, Security Network and System Watcher. The only thing left on is File Anti Virus.

I should also note that Kaspersky is firewalled from the internet, but that shouldn't be an issue unless there's some spying going on.

The problem went away when I had the option to pause Kaspersky, but that too is now greyed out.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Problem still exists with Kaspersky paused. Took the screenshot below. You can see Kaspersky task icon in red (paused) and Chrome trying to resolve bbc to a kaspersky url.

kaspersky-url-redirect.jpg

It's hit and miss with the timeout. Sometimes you get the web page after a wait, others not.

So it would appear 'pausing' kaspersky doesn't actually stop the url redirects.....

Something weird going on under the covers here.

To re-iterate, is there any way to turn kaspersky OFF without uninstalling it?

I tried unchecking both Kaspersky services from MSConfig but that doesn't work. They auto start anyway. Tried disabling both Kaspersky services in the Services snap-in with Access Denied even as Amin.

• Solution
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, qwertyberty said:

Installed Kaspersky Free yesterday (05 Jun 2024) in Win 7 SP1 x64.

1) The Pause Protection context menu from the Kaspersky task bar icon is now greyed out. It was there yesterday after install as I used it. How do I *completely* turn off Kaspersky without having to fiddle with each and every Kaspersky component?

2) Every Chrome browser URL tries to resolve to a Kaspersky URL- which then times out. bbc.co.uk resolves to gc.kis.v2.scr.kaspersky-labs.com.

I've turned off Safe Browsing, Network Attack Blocker, Security Network and System Watcher. The only thing left on is File Anti Virus.

I should also note that Kaspersky is firewalled from the internet, but that shouldn't be an issue unless there's some spying going on.

The problem went away when I had the option to pause Kaspersky, but that too is now greyed out.

1 hour ago, qwertyberty said:

Problem still exists with Kaspersky paused. Took the screenshot below. You can see Kaspersky task icon in red (paused) and Chrome trying to resolve bbc to a kaspersky url.

It's hit and miss with the timeout. Sometimes you get the web page after a wait, others not.

So it would appear 'pausing' kaspersky doesn't actually stop the url redirects.....

Something weird going on under the covers here.

To re-iterate, is there any way to turn kaspersky OFF without uninstalling it?

I tried unchecking both Kaspersky services from MSConfig but that doesn't work. They auto start anyway. Tried disabling both Kaspersky services in the Services snap-in with Access Denied even as Amin.

Hello @qwertyberty

Welcome!

1. Is the goal to solve the redirects OR to turn off Kaspersky? 
  2. For the URL redirects, UNCHECK Inject script into web traffic to interact with web pages & clear the cache in Chrome using shift+F5 

image.thumb.png.a41d01b8c0b668c7f9a5e8d3e5812baf.png

3. Regarding the RED/GREY Kaspersky icon, are (you) signed into Kaspersky FREE application, with the same email address that (you) sign into (your) MyKaspersky account with? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
added 3. & added clear the cache in Chrome using shift+F5 

Hello Flood,

Un-checking script injection solved the URL redirect issue. Thank you.

With regard to disabling Kaspersky, the only way I've been able to do it so far is to boot into safe mode (F8) and disable both Kaspersky services, then re-boot. The tray icon is then gone at login. 'Pausing' Kaspersky should do this but doesn't for some reason as script injection was still working.

On 3) I don't sign into anything explicitly. I set up an account when I installed kaspersky, and that account email is the one used in the 'profile' page in the kaspersky free installation on my computer. I don't see how my Kaspersky Free installation would be able to log into anything with the account email as I've blocked network access via the firewall on my computer. Is pausing the local installation of Kaspersky dependent on having network access back to Kaspersky HQ? That would be a new one....

Regards.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, qwertyberty said:

Un-checking script injection solved the URL redirect issue. Thank you.

With regard to disabling Kaspersky, the only way I've been able to do it so far is to boot into safe mode (F8) and disable both Kaspersky services, then re-boot. The tray icon is then gone at login. 'Pausing' Kaspersky should do this but doesn't for some reason as script injection was still working.

On 3) I don't sign into anything explicitly. I set up an account when I installed kaspersky, and that account email is the one used in the 'profile' page in the kaspersky free installation on my computer.

I don't see how my Kaspersky Free installation would be able to log into anything with the account email as I've blocked network access via the firewall on my computer. Is pausing the local installation of Kaspersky dependent on having network access back to Kaspersky HQ? That would be a new one....

Hello @qwertyberty

You're most welcome!

Thank you for posting back, we're delighted to read the URL redirect issue is solved, well done!

Re 3. The *new* Kaspersky software application (signed in with (your) email address) - needs to be synchronised with (your) MyKaspersky account. Kaspersky Free does not work if your device is not connected to your account - reference: How to activate the application - It's got nothing to do with HQ. 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

spelling

10 hours ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Kaspersky software application (signed in with (your) email address) - needs to be synchronised with (your) MyKaspersky account. Kaspersky Free does not work if your device is not connected to your account.

Hello Flood,

I'm aware of that. When I open the Kaspersky Free, the last menu option on the left hand side shows my account email and underneath the message 'Subscription is active', so I assume this means my installation is already registered.

Does the installation also need internet access as well to work, or at least offer 'pause protection' option?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, qwertyberty said:
  1. When I open the Kaspersky Free, the last menu option on the left hand side shows my account email and underneath the message 'Subscription is active', so I assume this means my installation is already registered.
  2. Does the installation also need internet access as well to work?
  3. or at least offer 'pause protection' option?

Hello @qwertyberty

Thank you for posting back, the information & extra questions. 

1. Excellent, if Kaspersky Free shows (your) email address & Subscription is active, it's synchronised/registered correctly. 
  2. Yes.
  3. Pause protection -> Windows, Taskbar *Hidden icons*, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select Pause protection, read: How to pause and resume computer protectionimage.thumb.png.c8ca64dec774d0affbfe9ca1397a4fa8.png
  4. What is the *status* of the Pause protection in (your) Kaspersky Free app? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

corrected link