do I have to enable the last protection function containing legitimate applications etc ...?(Kaspersky Security Cloud Free)

NDABBRU

Web antivirus protection

Hello,
in the advanced WEB Antivirus settings do I have to enable the last protection function containing legitimate applications etc ...?
By default it is not enabled.
Is it necessary to enable it?

Thank you.

Nunzio

Hello  @NDABBRU,

Welcome!

Kaspersky gives you a choice.

If the check box is selected, Kaspersky Security Cloud checks the target URL against the database of URLs containing legitimate applications that can be used by criminals to damage your computer or personal data.

When you attempt to visit web addresses of this category, the application shows a notification stating that the web address may be used by criminals to damage your computer or your data.

An example of this category could be a remote administration tool which is legally used for troubleshooting by system administrators.

A criminal can install such a tool on your computer without your knowledge to gain access to your computer and use it for criminal purposes.

(I prefer) to enable  Check the URL against the database of URLs containing legitimate applications that can be used by criminals to damage your computer or personal data.

Thank you

Hello  @NDABBRU,

Welcome!

If the check box is selected, Kaspersky Security Cloud checks the target URL against the database of URLs containing legitimate applications that can be used by criminals to damage your computer or personal data.

When you attempt to visit web addresses of this category, the application shows a notification stating that the web address may be used by criminals to damage your computer or your data.

An example of this category could be a remote administration tool which is legally used for troubleshooting by system administrators.

A criminal can install such a tool on your computer without your knowledge to gain access to your computer and use it for criminal purposes.

(I prefer) to enable  Check the URL against the database of URLs containing legitimate applications that can be used by criminals to damage your computer or personal data.

Thank you

Does activating it slow down web browsing or opening websites a bit?

Hello  @NDABBRU,

Welcome!

Thank you

I don’t really see much difference after enabling the option

The one which slows down web browsing significantly is “Script injection”. You will see a day-and-night improvement in terms of CPU usage and browser loading speed after unchecking it. Because you’re using KSC free, script injection almost has no use. It might be useful if you have the paid versions (anti-banner, safe money,...)

Settings -> Additional -> Network → Uncheck “Inject scripts into web traffic to interact with web pages”

Hello @NDABBRU,

There are many factors that can contribute to browser response time.

• If after enabling Check the URL against the database of URLs containing legitimate applications that can be used by criminals to damage your computer or personal data, check response time, in every supported browser, with exactly the same comparison parameters
  • Is that what’s happening?
  1. Please post some of the urls that have are an issue, note, if the urls are not safe, add them to a text file and 📎 attach the .txt file to your reply please?
  2. What browsers are installed and in use?
  3. Operating system & version please? 
  4. Kaspersky Security Cloud version & build please?

Please post back?

Thank you. 

Hello  @NDABBRU,

Welcome!

Thank you

The one which slows down web browsing significantly is “Script injection”. You will see a day-and-night improvement in terms of CPU usage and browser loading speed after unchecking it. Because you’re using KSC free, script injection almost has no use. It might be useful if you have the paid versions (anti-banner, safe money,...)

Settings -> Additional -> Network → Uncheck “Inject scripts into web traffic to interact with web pages”

Thank you! I will follow your suggestion.
Much like Adblocker I use Ad Guard.

Hello @NDABBRU,

There are many factors that can contribute to browser response time.

• If after enabling Check the URL against the database of URLs containing legitimate applications that can be used by criminals to damage your computer or personal data, check response time, in every supported browser, with exactly the same comparison parameters
  • Is that what’s happening?
  1. Please post some of the urls that have are an issue, note, if the urls are not safe, add them to a text file and 📎 attach the .txt file to your reply please?
  2. What browsers are installed and in use?
  3. Operating system & version please? 
  4. Kaspersky Security Cloud version & build please?

Please post back?

Thank you. 

Thanks but after the change I have not noticed a significant slowdown. I will see in the coming days if by chance it creates problems and I will report it.

Hello  @NDABBRU,

Welcome!

Thank you

I am not finding a big difference, yet my PC is a PC dated about 15 years (I only increased the RAM to 4GB, it is a doily core duo).
Could it be that the G patch also improved this aspect?

Hello  @NDABBRU,

Welcome!

Thank you

I am not finding a big difference, yet my PC is a PC dated about 15 years (I only increased the RAM to 4GB, it is a doily core duo).
Could it be that the G patch also improved this aspect?

I don’t know. I always disable that option since a few versions back for better performance. In the past, v2018, it slowed me down a lot

Kaspersky 2020 has improved a lot in performance compared to v2019. I still believe disabling that option still has a positive effect on resource usage. It’s very noticeable on my computer at least especially when you like monitoring resource usage of each app like me