Cmd.exe error, “The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)

asdfat
Go to solution Solved by Schulte,

Yesterday I’ve tryed to run a .bat file and got an error: “The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application.”. I thought some windows file got corrupted somehow so I tryed opening the cmd.exe to run a system check with the “SFC /scannow” command, but when I tryed to open the cmd.exe I got the same error message. 

After trying a great number of suggestions on how to fix this issue from a series of forum posts, youtube videos, microsoft’s help page, etc; I tryed turning off the Kaspersky Internet Security and that fixed the problem. I find this very strange because I’ve been using Kaspersky for about 2 years now and I never had any problems running either .bat files nor running the cmd.exe (which is a core program of windows 10) until now. As long as I turn off Kaspersky all .bat files and the cmd.exe function normaly, but when I turn Kaspersky back on I start to get the same 0xc0000142 error whenever I try opening .bat files or the cmd.exe.

Don’t know if it’s related to any recent updates, or what the problem is, but I hope you guys can fix this so I don’t have to turn off my PC protection whenever I want to use the cmd.exe.

I use windows 10 (don’t know if it will matter or not).

I couldn’t find where can I check which version of the KIS I’m using

Hello @asdfat,

To find the version & patch of any Kaspersky software, 3 ways:

1. Open the Kaspersky application, select the Support/headset🎧 icon (next to Settings⚙ icon), the Support page has the Application version & patch information. 

2. On the Windows Taskbar, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select About, the popup window will show the Application version & patch information.

3. On the Windows Taskbar, hover the mouse over the Kaspersky icon, a tiny popup window  will show the Application version & patch information.

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋