Background Scan hanging up at 1% in Windows 10

Go to solution Solved by Berny,

Hello: I have been having a recent problem with my Windows 10-based Kaspersky Internet Security where the Background Scan will ‘hang up’ at 1% of the scan and then quit: 

This is a relatively recent problem because I remember the background scan running smoothly and to completion not too long ago. I religiously update my Windows 10 operating system and run frequent manual updates to my KIS database including both Quick Scans and Full Scans with no problem. Anyone having a similar problem? I would also like to know if I can manually run a Background Scan as used to be possible in previous versions of KIS. Thank you.

Hello Berny: I read the link information you sent and changed my Quick Scan advanced settings to enable both iChecker and iSwift (only iChecker was active by default). I will try this suggestion and see if that helps my Background Scan activate itself automatically and goes to completion. Merci beaucoup. Golomar

Hello: Following Berny’s advice above [enable both iChecker and iSwift] I still have the same problem of the Background Scan utility not running to completion. The latest scan came back with only 30% of the Background Scan being completed:

Latest Background scan shows only 30% of scan was automatically completed and no further scans were done in the last 2 days. I remember in an earlier version of KIS that a Background scan could be run manually. I can run Quick, Full, and Vulnerability scans manually so why not return to letting users run a Background scan manually just like in the past? My computer does not noticeably slow down when any of these scans are being run and I like to run them manually or at least have the option of running the Background scan manually. Anyone else having incomplete Background scans on their Windows 10 Home Edition machine?

Hello Berny: I didn’t know KIS version 21.3 was available until you brought it to my attention today. I have downloaded and installed this version on my Windows 10 Home Edition desktop computer and I am just running a Full Scan right now; thank you very much for the information about the upgraded application version for my region [Global]. I will still need to see if the Background Scan kicks in automatically and goes to completion with this new version installed but thank you for all your assistance so far. 

Sorry for intrusion but  I would like to admit the issue on verifications scans being stuck is happening as well on Windows 7 since April 18 update that converted Kaspersky Internet Security 2.2.16.590© to Kaspersky Internet Security 21.3.10.391(a) which I have no doubts this update package is bugged. Making rootkit verifications to no longer follow the rule to start every 24 hour or after 30 minutes when the PC is turned on  or when verification scans are getting stuck in the progress while running on background.

In my discussion thread there are more details about how they are not properly working. And yes you are not facing this problem alone since I’m on a older operatin system and this issue necessary started with the changes made on April 18.

Even though reading your last reply about having the problem resolved. I haven’t resolved mine so I just wanted to share something regarding this issue. Because before this chnage from the version KIS 2.2.16.590© there were no issues, nothing wrong with installation nor the program itself.

Hello Psiu47: Your problem seems to have been caused by the upgrade to application version 21.3.10.391 (no “a” appended on my version for Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit OS). From some of the reading I have done, KIS no longer supports Windows 7 OS so I am wondering if the ‘forced’ upgrade to application version 21.3.10.391(a) is indeed the source of your problem while it was the solution to my problem? Since you have a valid activation code, do you think it would be possible for you to completely uninstall KIS from your computer and then download a fresh copy with the latest application version starting with 21.3.XX.XXX? I don’t know which region you are writing from so perhaps the “a” at the end is meant for your region and not Canada where I am. Good luck.

Hello Psiu47: 

1. From some of the reading I have done, KIS no longer supports Windows 7 OS
  2. Your problem seems to have been caused by the upgrade to application version 21.3.10.391 (no “a” appended on my version for Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit OS).

Hello @Golomar

1. Kaspersky still supports Win 7, reference: KIS version 21.3.10.391/MR3 operating system requirements, hardware and software requirements
  2. Patch(a) is the first patch to be released for MR3; like all Kaspersky patches, it was released in a staggered distribution, across the globe; a patch release cycle may last a month or longer. 
  3. After a patch arrives, to apply the patch, it’s necessary to fully shutdown the computer, power on, login, check V & P? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Hello Flood: Thank you for this information about Windows 7 still being supported for the upgrade of KIS to application version 21.3.10.391 because I will need this information tomorrow when I walk a fellow KIS user with a Windows 7 machine through an application version upgrade to 21.3.. And thank you for the information re Patch(a) and for providing the appropriate links. I will install the Patch “a” right now to bring my machine up to date.

Hello @Golomar

You’re most welcome☺

IF patch(a) has not been released in your region, you may need to do a full uninstall & clean install from the global website. 

To do that, when uninstalling, save LICENSE information only, do not check any other checkboxes.

(ioo) it’s better to wait for patches to arrive.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Hello Flood: Coincidentally, as soon as I read your earlier post, I manually updated my database and application file and when I checked the application version, it changed and included the “a” appendage to the version number:

I did a restart of my computer as you suggested and it seems to work OK. I live in Canada but the patch must have become active sometime very recently because I updated my application version to 21.3. within the last day or two and there was no “a” until today. So, thank you once again and tomorrow I will use your link to the Windows 7 application version update. I will ask the person I am helping tomorrow to do a full uninstall and clean install from the global website just to make sure we are both on the same page when he finishes updating his data and application version. He does not want to update his OS to Windows 10 so whatever we do must work with Windows 7. Once again, thank you for your assistance and suggestions.

Hello @Golomar

You’re most welcome, we’re delighted to help😁 

For the time being W7 is supported, the day will arrive when Kaspersky will no longer provide support; we have no idea when that will be; we’re in the same position as your friend, we have an old w7 machine, we do not wish to upg, primarily because so many topics still come where Community members use W7 & we can often test; it’s very handy, but, for you, at least have the W7 ‘end of life’ conversation, with your friend, so he can mull it over in his own way. 

All the best with the work tomorrow!

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋