1 object detected, disinfected, but there's nothing in quarantine or report

Rimanah

I have a very strange issue and an issue that isn’t a new one. A year ago I once scanned an almost empty folder with few of my photos - coming out as this: “1 object detected, 1 object desinfected”. Of course it was strange itself to be found in a folder of this kind, so I checked what kind of malware that was. To my suprise there was nothing in quarantine nor the scan report. There was a detection, but no file or malware. That year ago I figured out repeating many and many scans in 1-2h caused this to happen again - it didn’t matter what kind of scan or even file was scanned, it just happened once in about a hundred scans. So I reported it to the tech support and they told me it was a bug, that then probably got fixed since It didn’t happen again in about a year.

This brings me to this day. After an update to version 2021 I have experienced this once again - this time by scanning a newly downloaded game from steam(meaning it was 100% legit). I was able to repeat it by doing lot of scans yesterday(One scan every few minutes with no changes to the system, meaning it is not some kind of malware, because it would have gotten detected - also it doesn’t seem to be activated by time, but rather amount of scans), but I wasn’t able to simulate it again today. 

My question is, does anyone have the same issue? I’ll send a screenshot of what I mean. If you do, please report this to the Tech Support, because it seems like the same bug as last time.

Hi @Rimanah

Thank you for the INC number, checking the bug I see that developers requested traces with the reproduction but the issue no longer occurred on your side at that time.

If the issue still occurs, please submit a new ticket to technical support and include traces with issue reproduction, we will continue the investigation. 

Regards,

Igor

• 7 months later...

Now it’s May 2021 and I had exactly the same problem with KIS 2021.  I did a full scan.  2 objects were detected and disinfected.  But the scan log showed no such occurences, and there’s nothing in Quarantine.  The scan log shows 23 yellow triangle symbols and no red square symbols.  So what were the 2 objects detected and disinfected?  

Hello @dcouzin

Welcome!

1. Which KIS version & patch(x) x = letter, in Windows (taskbar) hidden icons, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select About
  2. Post an image of what you can see, we need to see what you see please? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Additional resource:

Read before you create a new topic! tutorial by @Danila T. 

@dcouzin If the Log doesn’t display the object details we can’t tell you which items have been  detected and disinfected.  This could be e.g. adware entries (= not_a_virus) that have been cleaned up but this is only my  personal guess 🤔 .  Anyway,  please run another scan and if no objects  get detected means that your system is clean.

To Flood and Flood's wife:

Are there clues in this?

Dennis

Hello @dcouzin, Dennis. 

Thank you for the version image👌

It would’ve been helpful to see an image of the “scan log shows 23 yellow⚠ triangle symbols”🤔

1. Please uninstall 21.2, save License information only, do not check any other check boxes. 
  2. Download version 21.3.10.391
  3. Install v21.3.10.391
  4. Run a manual Database update →  allow it to complete?
  5. Shutdown, using Shutdown, not Restart, power on, login.
  6. Run a Full scan →  allow it to complete
  7. Monitor Reports for any discrepancies? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

@Berny I appreciate your guess about what KIS might have detected and disinfected without reporting details.  I agree that a lost piece of adware is nothing to fret over.  But if KIS does that, it must report it correctly.  We who choose Kaspersky want something explicit and a little on the geeky side, not exactly to be “clean”. 

@Flood and Flood's wife I wondered what you meant in your “2. Post an image ...”.  Might there be counterfeit Kaspersky programs detectable by a subtle difference in the About window?

But an image of the whole scan results is just as nutty a request.  The list is 80 lines long, about 20 with yellow triangles, NO RED SQUARES, and it’s full of personal information.  Too much personal information to white out.  

Even this screenshot is too big and fat:

Clicking on the 2 objects disinfected link only shows the empty Quarantine.

As for replacing my newly installed v.21.2.16.590 with v.21.3.10.391, what was fixed between those two versions?  It’s some bother to reenter all preferences and exclusions.  And why isn’t KIS updating its versions itself?

Thanks,

Dennis

@Flood and Flood's wife Per your suggestion I uninstalled v.21.2.16.590 and then installed v.21.3.10.391.  It got patch b.   A new full scan was run and its report did not have the previous problems.  In the less than one day between scans I had dug up some new dirt and it was in the trash where KIS detected and deleted it.  TWO RED SQUARES in the scan report, and those two files were in Quarantine.  

I would only suggest to Kaspersky that they make the saved report also indicate circle/triangle/square for each event.  The text file is already in unicode which has enough symbols for this. 

Thanks,

Dennis

Hello @dcouzin, Dennis, 

Sorry for the late reply😥

To answer your earlier question, the Kaspersky policy is to distribute version updates automatically, however, sometimes things may go astray; if the application was not working or not working well, that may have contributed to a glitch, preventing MR3 from being available to your machine. 

We’re delighted MR3 with patch(b) is now installed🤸 , it also sounds as tho KIS is now working better, so well done👏

Your idea for the Saved report is interesting, if you’d like to submit it to Kaspersky Technical Support fill in a Feedback, I have a Suggestion request, it will go to Kaspersky Russia, get reviewed and they would communicate their assessment with you. 

Regarding our earlier “nutty” request, we were not expecting *images*, just 1, and we would always expect contributors to hide any personal information. 

We filter the Saved report, extract the errors & events to a spreadsheet & apply colours from there → it helps enormously when we are helping others →  you’d probably classify our process as nutty too😅 !

Regarding what’s changed:

MR2

MR3

KIS Release notes

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋 

Dear @Flood and Flood's wife, I don’t see how *an image* can usefully represent my scan results.  The results run to about 80 lines.  The window only shows 8 lines at a time.  The results are so verbose that each line must be scrolled horizontally.  So, 20 screen shots?  Or assembled in Photoshop into one giant image? 

Making the “Object” column narrow would obviate some of the privacy problem, and reduce the screen shots to 10.  To show that there are NO RED SQUARES requires showing all 80 lines.

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Hello @dcouzin, Dennis, 

Thank you for taking the time to post back👌

Sometimes an images helps us, we see what *you* see, however, it’s not an issue; in our scan reports we have some information that may be similar to yours, we were guided by that; and, now, it appears the issue is resolved for you, so, all good, no need to create a massive montage or spend any more time on it. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋