Xiaomi "Ultra Battery saver" disables Safe kids

Dan i Jela

Greetings!

I have just discovered that Safe Kids on Xiaomi phones is useless. On my daughter's Redmi Note 7 there is "Ultra battery saver" ( UBS from now on ) in shortcut buttons on top. If Safe Kids is activated/running and even if the phone is blocked by time limit,simply activating UBS and then disactivating it, Safe kids is no longer running and the app is useless. You have to restart the app and then reenable accessibility to make the app functional again.I tried every possible way to block this,but unfortunately no success. Off course,my daughter stayed quiet about this and was using the phone with app disabled for a few months until I realised what is happening.

Can others that have Xiaomi phones test this to confirm?

Hello @Dan i Jela

Welcome!

We’ve tested, not Xiaomi, but a very similar phone, ended up logging a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, they finally came to the following conclusion:

There is an issue with the firmware for the device', The manufacturer has designed their own custom firmware based on Android and due to this Safe Kids installed in child mode won't be able to function properly.

There's no way to work around it unless the firmware design (is changed) to allow all third-party apps to be loaded in the background”. 

@Wesly.Zhang uses a Xiaomi, maybe he will have time to test the UBS / KSK problem? 

& log a request with Kaspersky Technical Support, fill in the Application malfunction, Other template, including the OS version, provide as much information as possible, steps taken, Community URL; Support may request: traces, data, logs, they will guide you:

• After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will be in touch, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in their MyKaspersky account.

Please share the outcome with the Community when it’s available? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hello Flood

Thank you for your reply. I did come across the problem you are referring to and if I remember correctly it was about Oppo phone. Since I didn't encounter any discussion regarding Xiaomi phones I thought to post a topic and see if other users with Xiaomi have the same problem and to make others aware of this.

I did contact tech support and I am waiting for a response. I did already send logs,screenshots etc.

The problem is that I was unaware of this for quite some time and of course my kid took advantage of this. I do understand that there will always be some way to circumvent this,but on parents phone there is no warning whatsoever that the app is not running and killing the app is as easy as switching off WiFi!! This defeats the purpose of me installing the app and paying subscription to monitor and limit my child's phone usage, which is the main thing the app boasts.

Hello @Dan i Jela

Thank you for posting back & the extra information👌  

• Absolutely agree with you on every point. 
  • Confirm please:  Settings are Forbidden
  • If @Wesly.Zhang has time, it would be good to see if he can replicate the issue, he’s also very clever, he may even know a solution🤔
  • & please share any feedback from the TS team, with the Community? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hello,

I don’t know “ Ultra battery saver” meaning, Is this function been actived only the battery is very low -- less 5% ?

I use miui v12.1.4 in chinese version. But I think my smartphone os is different than you use. right?

In my phone, I can set some apps could be use in this battery saver mode via the following method:

Go into super battery saver. Do you also have this funtion? Press add or the icon at the top of left corner to goto setting.

Add the app you want to run in it.

Regards.

Hello Weng

Yes,the screen in screenshot is on Ultra battery saver. I tried also adding Kaspersky safe kids to the list. The problem is that from normal phone mode with safe kids active if you activate the saver:

the phone goes to this screen:

And then in battery saver you press exit button and:

Voila, no Safe kids icon and app not running. Even the Safe kids accessibility setting is switched off.

And yes, settings is forbidden.

@Wesly.Zhang

Thanks for joining in👌

The test we need you to do is with the Kaspersky Safe Kids app and after KSK is setup, Settings MUST be Forbidden. 

@Dan i Jela

In your images, may we have a full screen image, of the KSK icons please - highlighted by red brackets (in our image)

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hello,

Sorry for using chinese version to explain the operation mothed. Do you try to set battery strategy for apps. If no, Please set KSK to No limit and to see the behavior for app returnning from battery saver mode to normal mode. If it doesn’t work. I think this is a technogy limit,

If this also does not work, I think this is probably a technical limitation. The super power saving mode ( Ultra battery saver ) will kill all non-essential apps to maintain the phone's standby needs. But when recovering from this mode, the app process that was killed before will not be automatically restored, so this problem occurs.

In my smartphone, I haven’t google app store, also KSK doesn’t exist in MIUI app store. so I cannot test this app (KSK) . This is an obstacle for me. you can take a phone call to xiaomi support and hear what they say. I will also make a phone call to inquire about the situation.

Regards.

Regards.

Hello @Wesly.Zhang

Thank you👌

• KSK is in Huawei apps store, have you checked there, would that be an avenue to get KSK? 

Extra resource:

Configure KSK for your child: If you are configuring KSK on a XIAOMI device, how to configure automatic restart on XIAOMI devices

Hello, @Flood and Flood's wife 
The way to start automatically after boot , which is very old.

1. Open the Security app.
  2. Go to Permissions > Autorestart.
  3. Find Kaspersky Safe Kids.
  4. Set Kaspersky Safe Kids switch to ON.

The newest way is Settings → Application Settings → Authorization management → Self-start management. I translate the path into english, It may be different from the international version, but the general direction is the same.

Huawei app store for international may have KSK. but it is not exist in huawei app store for china.🙄

Regards.

Battery restrictions is set to no limit,so no problem. Also the autostart is enabled,but if I understand correctly this only refers to start after boot. I have just received a reply from Kaspersky that they have escalated this to a bug issue. I will have to wait and see if they can resolve this.

Hello,

it is known Issue 4645564: [SUPPORT] Ultra Battery Save mode disables Safe Kids on Xiaomi Mi 8 (there are also some other similar).

As Wesly.Zhang  has written, you can try to set -No restrictions for Kaspersky Safe Kids in Battery and Performance settings.

“For example, on Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 with Android 6.0.1, go to Settings > Battery and Performance > Manage apps battery usage > Choose apps (available if the power saving mode is on) > Kaspersky Safe Kids > No restrictions). “

https://support.kaspersky.com/KISA/Android_11.59/en-US/195536.htm

Unfortunately, that is all, that we can suggest for now.

Thank you.

Mikhail thank you for your reply.

The app is already set to no restrictions in Battery settings.

This confirms that it is a limitation of the app on MIUI.  Unfortunately this means that the premium subscription I paid is useless in my case. Kaspersky should at least warn the users about this if it is a known bug !!!

Mikhail thank you for your reply.

The app is already set to no restrictions in Battery settings.

This confirms that it is a limitation of the app on MIUI.  Unfortunately this means that the premium subscription I paid is useless in my case. Kaspersky should at least warn the users about this if it is a known bug !!!

I tested the bug yesterday on Xiaomi  Redmi Note 8 Pro and can confirm, that -No restrictions for KSK option does not work.

Maybe Kaspersky could reply if there is a way to remove Ultra Power Saver from Notification Shade as access to Settings can be disabled.

Hello,

It is a good idea.  You need to click on the “Edit” button as displayed on the first screen(sorry for Russian, I was hurried), next, you need find “Ultra battery save” icon and move it down in the list of inactive icons(see second screenshot). Then, press Done.