WindowsPackageManagerServer.exe - error verifying signature

Pica
Go to solution Solved by Wesly.Zhang,

Ever since Windows Store was udpated to its Win11 equivalent with a bunch of updates for pre-installed apps, this component of desktop app installer gets categorized as restricted because its signature can’t be verified. I’m apparently not the only one with this issue because every version of this file released since is classed 100% restricted at the KSN. Is this issue at Microsoft’s end or Kaspersky’s?

KIS 21.3.10.391(g), Windows 10.

Visit www.hp.com/go/wirelessprinting  and open the door to the world of HP smart printing solutions. HP wireless printer is a versatile printing device that helps you print, scan, copy and fax your documents as per the requirement.

Visit ij.start canon | ij.start.cannon and find out the best way to download Canon printer drivers. Canon printers are ideal for every situation wherever you need a document, paper, or photo print or even if you wish to scan, fax, and do more ijstart.canon will make you learn how to set up a canon printer to get advanced printing features.

hello, @Pica 

Could you provide sha1 code for the file and file path?

Regards.

The sha1 hash for the first file with issue: 09413d72fc4215f6d0e4b7e83b6fc2ed3c7e71d4

And for the second: 6f4980b379c975db1643d848882f81f1612a2b9b

Path is C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller_1.16.13405.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Windows keeps a few older versions of UWP apps in storage, new versions won’t overwrite the old. The files seem to be unsigned, which is not that uncommon for legit Windows files. But I’ve never had a KIS warning in logs about verification errors with other unsigned files, KIS would simply report that their signatures are missing and determine security restrictions based on other factors.

hello, @Pica 

Could you provide sha1 code for the file and file path?

Regards.

The sha1 hash for the first file with issue: 09413d72fc4215f6d0e4b7e83b6fc2ed3c7e71d4

And for the second: 6f4980b379c975db1643d848882f81f1612a2b9b

Path is C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller_1.16.13405.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Windows keeps a few older versions of UWP apps in storage, new versions won’t overwrite the old. The files seem to be unsigned, which is not that uncommon for legit Windows files. But I’ve never had a KIS warning in logs about verification errors with other unsigned files, KIS would simply report that their signatures are missing and determine security restrictions based on other factors.

Hello,

This file is clean. But Microsoft doesn’t sign this file. You are right.

But according to this sha1 value, I am so surprised that it may involved in a BSS:Trojan.Win32.Generic detection.

https://opentip.kaspersky.com/6f4980b379c975db1643d848882f81f1612a2b9b/

I have asked KL to check this case whether is normal or not. If Any reply back from them, I will reply here.

Regards.

Hello @Pica 

I reply from KL support ( INC000013546979 ) said

Hello,

We added a file to a zone good. It should help to users.

If I understand this sentence correctly, this file will be added to the list of trusted programs.

Regards.

Thanks. The detection connection may be a simple false positive, or perhaps the file has been used in an attack before because it was unsigned.