Windows 7 is dead. Now what should I do? [merged] [again]

releone

Hi, @FLOOD  I have a new problem that doesn't concern Kaspersky I don't know if you can help me, but I would be grateful to you. Yesterday 14 January 2020 the operating system of the PC Windows 7 ultimate Service Pack 1 expired, since I didn't want to buy a new PC for the moment and not even buy Windows 10 which until recently gave free and which is now paid, you I ask, since for version 7 no more updates are released, they tell me, you think (as microsoft tells me) that the PC will be more subjected to cyber attacks, or having kaspersky internet security and as a browser Mozilla Firefox always up to date, am I protected anyway or am I more at risk without windows updates or not? Thank you very much for the answer, hello from @releone

Hello @releone,

Welcome back👋, vedo che stai ancora parlando inglese😀

Much as I hate to be forced into changing the opsys, moving forward, what else can we do? 

Kaspersky only provides support for systems that meet hardware & software requirements, atm, according to their documentation, 7 is still supported, however, I suspect, if a problem happens, we’ll soon be hearing “root cause is EOL opsys” or “to fix the problem(s), upgrade opsys”...🤔

I’d rather not go thru that if it can be avoided!

Unfortunately, the life cycle of many things seems to get shorter and shorter, including mine😉

Staying with an unsupported opsys has so many risks, it’s better to grit our teeth, make the change now, soon the pain will be forgotten🙃

All the best!

Flood🐳

...I didn't want to buy a new PC for the moment and not even buy Windows 10 which until recently gave free and which is now paid...

Hello @releone,

you can still activate WIN10 with your legal WIN7 key.
I have done this in the last weeks with about 150 PCs. I don't think that this only works in Germany.

Hi @FLOOD I understand, although I would have preferred to hear you say otherwise, but I understand. It is certain that consumerism requires you to change an object even if it is fully functional. Updating the pc to windows10 according to Microsoft would not be enough nor recommended ... they recommend replacing the pc ... easy eh ??? (For Microsoft not for users) !!! Downloading windows 10 from windows 7 in Italy was allowed (and with this I also reply to @Schulte  that I thank) until 2 years ago, at the time it was an optional because there was no mention of ceasing updates to windows 7 and I left everything how it was. Today it is no longer possible to do it, the W10 key no longer exists. I will consider better on the Microsoft website what can be done because replacing a PC that frankly still has features higher than those required to install Windows 10 does not seem to me the case, therefore as long as' KIS will allow me to use the Seven I stay like this!
I thank you @FLOOD, @Schulte, @richbuff please accept my best regards.

LION KING

Hello  LI🦁 N K🤴 NG 👋

You’re very welcome, from all of us!

I agree with everything you’ve said, “in the old days “😂 , whitegoods lasted 20 years, now, if we get 5 years out of the refrigerator we think we’re doing well😠

I’m also keeping my W7, will use it to help Community members who choose not to upgrade.

All Kaspersky software will keep doing the protective work, we just need to remember, when things go pearshaped, we won’t have access to Tech Support, but that’s ok, I’ve ask for help here in the Community😁, I welcome you to do the same🙂

Best regards,

Flood🐳

Hi @releone an all above posts.

Any machine that has “Windows 7 ultimate Service Pack 1” will have no issues updating to Windows 10.

The un-compatable machines are the older version Windows 7 without “service pack 1’

I recommend anyone still using Windows 7 service pack 1  should upgrade to Windows 10 to use better software you will be surprised at how good Windows 10 is to use..

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Thank you.

Hi Flood. Thanks for your response. The claim that internet banking is now unsafe on Win7 was in the press recently, but unfortunately I can’t find the article. However, I’ve just been through the topic that Berny referred to, and I think the information you’ve given in that thread does answer my question. Seems like it's safe for the time being, but shouldn’t leave it too long before upgrading to Win10, which seems good and proper advice.

• 1 month later...

Cannot see this question posted elsewhere.

I have a few WINDOWS 7  machines with Kaspersky Security Cloud FREE installed. Could someone at Kaspersky advise  how long you hope to continue supporting this operating system.

Thank you

My original post asking for the details of how long Kaspersky would support Windows 7 (Kaspersky Security Cloud)  and my topic was merged with another by the moderator who referred me to https://support.kaspersky.com/common/compatibility/15333?_ga=2.239010880.1364532550.1584808821-996105971.1584808821 I could not find the details their,  despite looking at several pages…….. It is a simple question ,how long will Kaspersky support Windows 7 ?

Hi @releone anGuys, as well as above posts.

You can still get Microsoft Windows10 for free by doing this download.

Create Windows 10 installation media

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?ranMID=24542&ranEAID=0JlRymcP1YU&ranSiteID=0JlRymcP1YU-SHyAG2mhXw1T5PaAtU.BvA&epi=0JlRymcP1YU-SHyAG2mhXw1T5PaAtU.BvA&irgwc=1&OCID=AID2000142_aff_7593_1243925&tduid=(ir__nff9ofrg3gkftki6kk0sohzize2xlamfk1okfq3q00)(7593)(1243925)(0JlRymcP1YU-SHyAG2mhXw1T5PaAtU.BvA)()&irclickid=_n

Okay you can still  re-instsall windows 7 ISO Filefrom here, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Make sure you have your original Windows 7 key Code then download it to a 4GB Flash Drive and store it for later date, if Windows 7 ISO file crashes on you, you can just reboot re-install.

Thank you

I Edited original post as it crashed.

ModKarDip

Thank you for your responses to my question. I think from what you have said I have about 2 years. I have many Windows 7 machines that only seem to work with Kaspersky which in itself is rather odd. I also have two Windows 10 machines running Windows Defender.

I did try the update route to Windows 10 on one of my machines and after downloading a big (installation ?) file I was greeted by an error message either saying my CPU or Graphics were not compatible. I searched online and other people  had / have  the same problem and the solution seemed mixed, something about trying to update “certain” drivers. Unfortunately I didn’t keep a note of the error message. In my case I generally don’t persevere with something if it cannot be sorted quickly .All my Windows 7 machines are the same model V3515 Fujitsu but some have different CPU processors and if I do get Win 10 installed on them I am limited to 2GB of Ram so everything will be slow. Windows 7 isn’t exactly speedy either.

• 1 year later...

I’m curious since this thread still open. The article on support page is already 1 year old was last reviewed april 2021. I cannot afford upgrading to windows 10 yet because my current PC is really weak. My license is 60 days left to expire. Can I continue reneweing without knowing if Kaspersky will stop supporting this year or untill next year win.7?