Will Kaspersky Antivirus protect me from security risks if I continue to use Office 2010? [Closed]

cmpltfam7605
Go to solution Solved by richbuff,

I am using Microsoft Office 2010 (support for it will discontinue shortly) and I really don’t need to subscribe to the Office 365 as I don’t use it for anything other than regular home use for card making and such. Can I count on my antivirus to keep me protected from security threats that may occur in the Office program? 

yes, Kaspersky you can still protect you if you continue using Office 2010 but to a certain level

there might be some sophisticated threats that may bypass Kaspersky’s protection

therefore, to prevent that to happen and to help Kaspersky a hand, you can do the following steps to limit Office 2010 infections

1/ download syshardener and extract

https://downloads.novirusthanks.org/files/portables/syshardener_portable.zip

2/ open x86 or x64 folder, depend on your Windows version (32bit=x86; 64bit=x64)

open Syshardener.exe

3/ scroll down to File Type Associations → tick “Unassociate .JAR” and “.PS1”

you can customize your settings  if you have some knowledge about this field

4/ Only if you are using Windows 8 or 8.1 → scroll down to “Windows Firewall (Outbound) → UNCHECK “Block outbound connections for Explorer.exe”

5/ Leave the rest at default and click “Apply Selected”

Done

These settings will block Office 2010 (and all office versions in general) from connecting to the internet, block scripts and macros (which are very common vectors for infections via MS Office

if you extremely need some features that Syshardener disabled above, you can revert the tweaks only when you know that what you are doing is safe and trustful

yes, Kaspersky you can still protect you if you continue using Office 2010 but to a certain level

there might be some sophisticated threats that may bypass Kaspersky’s protection

therefore, to prevent that from happen and to help Kaspersky a hand, you can do the following steps to limit Office 2010 infections

1/ download syshardener and extract

https://downloads.novirusthanks.org/files/portables/syshardener_portable.zip

2/ open x86 or x64 folder, depend on your Windows version (32bit=x86; 64bit=x64)

open Syshardener.exe

3/ scroll down to File Type Associations → tick “Unassociate .JAR” and “.PS1”

you can customize your settings  if you have some knowledge about this field

4/ Only if you are using Windows 8 or 8.1 → scroll down to “Windows Firewall (Outbound) → UNCHECK “Block outbound connections for Explorer.exe”

5/ Leave the rest at default and click “Apply Selected”

Done

These settings will block Office 2010 (and all office versions in general) from connecting to the internet, block scripts and macros (which are very common vectors for infections via MS Office

if you extremely need some features that Syshardener disabled above, you can revert the tweaks only when you know that what you are doing is safe and trustful