Why a letter change, not a number change, after an upgrade

SAJFLADD

Hi

A couple of questions.

There’s a bunch of numbers after a kaspersky product version number, such as KTS 21.1.15.500(a), with the letter denoting an updgrade version (or whatever an upgrade is called), which alphabetically changes with each each upgrade (e.g. a, b, c...).

So with all those numbers, why don’t they just change the number instead of bothering to have a letter and then changing that letter, e.g. KTS21…..500 changes to KTS21….501?

In KTS 21, the ‘community’ link, on the ‘support’ page, accessed from the support icon on the KTS GUI, leads to the Kaspersky products page, from where the KTS forum has to be selected. In KTS 20, the community link used to go straight to the KTS forum, which is what would be expected, given it’s community support for KTS that’s required.

So why the change? This used to happen when accessing the forum via that link on previous products (KTS19 and below), but was then changed (for the better) with KTS 20, but has now gone back to the previous way. So is there a way of going straight through to the KTS forum from that ‘community’ link?

Thanks

Hello @SAJFLADD,

Welcome again!

• The letters represent patches, the versions are represented by numbers
  • To answer “why” is not so easy, maybe one of the Kaspersky pointy heads will be able to provide the actual rationale, there’s sure to be one, certainly known to them🤔
  • Regarding the Community link from the GUI → image 1, resolves to Welcome to Kaspersky Community → image 2

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hello @SAJFLADD,

Welcome again!

• The letters represent patches, the versions are represented by numbers
  • To answer “why” is not so easy, maybe one of the Kaspersky pointy heads will be able to provide the actual rationale, there’s sure to be one, certainly known to them🤔
  • Regarding the Community link from the GUI → image 1, resolves to Welcome to Kaspersky Community → image 2

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hi,

Re 2. that’s what I’m saying, in KTS19, the link took you to a similar welcome page, in KTS20, it went straight to the specific forum (which is what you would expect, a link to the forum for your specific prodcut), but now in KTS 21, it’s reverted back to a general welcome page from where you have to select your product. 

Obviously a minor thing, but I just wondered why the change from the specific to the general.

Cheers.

Hello @SAJFLADD,

You’re welcome!

Is your expectation that, for each installation of Kaspersky Home Software, the GUI Community link would resolve to whatever was installed for each user, for example: Kaspersky Security Cloud, or KTS or KIS  etc, and Russian software installations would resolve to Russian links → Kaspersky Security Cloud; Spanish software to the Spanish forum & so on? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

It’s not my expectation, it’s what KTS 20 actually did - at least my KTS 20 did, and I don’t recall having to set it up to do it, it just did it itself. 

I was pleased when I first intallted KTS 20 and found it did this, because I had asked on this forum previously, when using a previous version of KTS (I think it was KTS 18 or 19), why the link went to a general welcome page instead of the specific product forum. So when KTS 20 did exactly that, it seemed somebody also thought that was good a good and changed it to do that, but now it’s gone backwards to the general.

Hello @SAJFLADD,

You’re welcome!

For a conclusive answer, raise a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, use the Feedback, I have a Complaint or Feedback, I have a suggestion template (whichever suits you best), include a detailed history, images, a GSI & Windows Logs; Support may request Traces; they may tell you why it’s changed and they may tell you if it will be changed again

• After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will communicate with you, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in your MyKaspersky account.

Please share the outcome with the Community when it’s available?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳