when opening Excel, The file cannot be opened because our virus scanner has detected a problem with the file. [Closed]

Flora
Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

Hi.

I have Kaspersky Internet Security installed on my office computer, and lately whenever I try to open a specific Excel file, I get message from Excel that says:

‘The file cannot be opened because our virus scanner has detected a problem with the file. ‘

‘This error may appear because an antivirus program is not allowing the file to open. This can be caused by either:

The antivirus program needs to be updated due to a compability problem with this program.

There is a virus in the file but the antivirus program cannot properly remove or process the virus that it has found.'

I used to be able to continue accessing the file but today I couldn’t access a part of the file. I also noticed my desktop calendar is not showing anymore. I tried rebooting the computer but nothing changed. How can I know if there is a virus, or if it is some other problem? And if it is, how can I disinfect it?

• Solution

Hello @Flora,

Welcome!

Microsoft Office products - “the file cannot be opened because our virus scanner has detected a problem with the file” is a known issue, was supposed to be fixed in patch e, Oct 2019. 

If you have patch e

Operating system version & buildKIS version & patch

• It would be best to raise a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, they will need a GSI & Windows Logs and may ask for Traces to be collected as the issue is replicated, they will step you thru the steps necessary to collect the traces. 

After logging the case you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will contact you, also by email; you may continue to communicate with the Support team by reply email or by updating the INC in your MyKaspersky account.

When it’s available, please let us know the solution the Kaspersky Technical Team advise?

Note, there is a manual registry hack for the problem but (imo), it would be better to consult the Technical Team. 

• Regarding the Desktop Calendar, what happens when you type Calendar in the Windows 🔎 Search Bar? 

&

• On the right hand side of the Taskbar, do you see the time & date?

&

• If you run Windows in SafeMode, is DeskTop Calendar available?

Please let me know? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳