What's the Worst Case Scenario of Running KSC and Malwarebytes Premium at the same time?

Go to solution Solved by Thoughts,

I know this topic has been brought up before (and I’ve read those threads), but what’s the worst case scenario if MWB Premium has all real-time protection on while running KSC?

Will they conflict at times and simply “fight over” certain types of protection, or is it possible that this combination will actually cause security vulnerabilities?

I work online and MWB Premium has stopped me from visiting several websites (that I thought were secure), detected a few trojans, found some Adware and PUPs, etc.

My concern is that if I turn off real-time protection, I might not be as safe since I’ve seen it stop so much.

Is the answer just to keep the faith and turn off real-time protection?

Beyond increasing CPU and memory usage, I’d say the worst case scenario could be a malware attack where the response of one (KSC or Malwarebytes) was seen as suspicious behaviour by the other and so tries to block it. In other words, two AVs seeing each other as a threat.

Don’t forget an AV doesn’t know the ‘other’ software is an AV, it just sees what the other was trying to do, which it could determine was itself an attack by malware.

As an aside, Malwarebytes offers a separate browser extension, used independently of their AV software, so you could use that, in conjunction with KSC and Malwarebytes (scanner only mode). Real-time malware protection would come KSC, with Malwarebytes Browser Guard giving you a further URL check beyond that of Kaspersky. 

Beyond increasing CPU and memory usage, I’d say the worst case scenario could be a malware attack where the response of one (KSC or Malwarebytes) was seen as suspicious behaviour by the other and so tries to block it. In other words, two AVs seeing each other as a threat.

Don’t forget an AV doesn’t know the ‘other’ software is an AV, it just sees what the other was trying to do, which it could determine was itself an attack by malware.

As an aside, Malwarebytes offers a separate browser extension, used independently of their AV software, so you could use that, in conjunction with KSC and Malwarebytes (scanner only mode). Real-time malware protection would come KSC, with Malwarebytes Browser Guard giving you a further URL check beyond that of Kaspersky. 

Thanks for your input.  Due to the fact that MWB has caught so many things with real-time protection turned on, I’m really struggling with turning it off (ransomware is off at this point).

I do believe and have trust in Kaspersky (I know how highly rated they are in terms of detection) but it’s hard to know.

You make a very valid point in regards to potential conflicts and I find myself wondering how often this actually happens “in the wild”.  This seems to be one of the topics that it’s difficult to find consensus for.

I have heard of that extension.  Can I ask if you use it and are satisfied with it?  I do use the Kaspersky Protection extension at this time as well as uBlock Origin.

Really appreciate your insight as I want to stay as safe as possible!

• Solution

I’ve used Malwarebytes scanner but not its real-time protection. It certainly is highly regarded but I’ve yet to be convinced that Malwarebytes’ talk of using it with other AVs is little more than a sales line. Malwarebytes can control how its software behaves, but they have no control over how the other AV might respond.

I’ve not used Malwarebytes Browser Guard but was aware of it and that it would likely follow the URL detection of Malwarebytes premium, also see *.

Two things have impressed me with Kaspersky, firstly its behavioral detection, ransomware, etc and its malware database are second to none. But the fact we’re having this chat in a forum where Kaspersky answers questions without fear or favor isn’t as common as one might imagine. 

If you’re using KSC Free, the browser extension purely gives you an on-screen keyboard. All browser protection comes from the central AV. The extension provides more features in the premium versions, but again malware, phishing protection, etc comes solely from the central AV.

*For the highest level of protection from Kaspersky, both malware and browser protection, in exchange for providing greater usage data (anonymous), keep or enable KSN. KSN allows Kaspersky to instantly analyze websites and files in the cloud ahead of local signature updates. You really shouldn’t need a separate browser extension on top of KSC, especially with KSN, but at worst you’d lose nothing by using Malwarebytes Browser Guard.

uBlock Origin, is an excellent addition (enable AdGuard annoyances and AdGuard base filters and leave all other filter settings at their defaults). HTTPS Everywhere upgrades non-secure HTTP sites to HTTPS or warns you if that’s not possible. 

If not done already, back up all your files and pictures to two cloud accounts and one external hard drive and then if the worst happens you can restore everything from one of those backups. If you treat a backup routine as your first line of defense not your last, it’ll be far easier to start afresh. 

Thanks for the exceptional information, Thoughts!

I do agree that KSC is extremely impressive and, IMO, the best AV software out there.

On that note, I’m strongly considering upgrading to Personal but am unsure if I need the additional tools and don’t need a password manager or cleaning abilities (and don’t have a family).  Frankly, I’m thinking of upgrading because it’s the right thing to do and I value their work and efforts.

I’m really glad you mentioned the importance of KSN and suggested the uBlock Origin settings...and agree with the importance of regular and secure backups.