What do the options mean when a new network is detected?

kandi8000

When I connect to a new Wifi network, KSC shows me the following prompt:

New Wi-Fi network (secured) detected ...

• No, block external access to computer
  • Restrict, but allow shared access
  • Yes, allow all network activity

I do not understand exactly what these options mean and when clicking on the little help icon, it opens a non-existing resource in the browser (404). I assume that these correspond more or less to the Windows firewall categorization of networks “public” and “private”, but since KSC does not include a firewall and my PC is protected by the Windows firewall, I do not understand the purpose of this prompt nor the meaning of the middle button.

It would be nice if someone could clarify and if this could be added to the documentation of KSC.

Hello @kandi8000

Thank you for the quick response and images👏

• Which KSCF version & patch is installed: 21.1.15.500c or 21.2.16.590?  

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Resource:
Devices in my network, note: not all of this documentation is will be helpful, because it’s written for the KSC premium/subscription product.

Hello @kandi8000,

Thank you for the quick response and information👏

• Devices in my network, note: not all of this documentation will be helpful, because it’s written for the KSC premium/subscription product.

@Igor Kurzin

• Please engage, the Devices in my network alert issue has been raised before by other Kaspersky users of KSCF, also, new issue: 404, page not found in 21.2.16.590

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hi @Flood and Flood's wife Thanks for your response. From your link it still isn’t clear to me what the middle option “Restrict, but allow shared access“ does exactly.
Also, with free KSC is there a way to change the setting for the Wifi networks once an option has been selected in the popup dialog (e.g. set a previously trusted network as not trusted)?

Hello @kandi8000

You’re most welcome☺ !

1. Regarding “Restrict, but allow shared access“, sadly, Kaspersky’s documentation is lacking. Shared access will allow access to network resources, for example computer to computer, shared drive, printer etc.
  2. Regarding “change the setting for the Wifi networks once an option has been selected in the popup dialog”, only by restoring KSCF to original configuration ➡  open KSCF, select Settings⚙ , select Manage Settings, select Restore, however, if you’ve “tweaked” other KSCF Settings, those Settings will also be reset, there is no way to individually restore the Devices in my network options once a selection has been made.
  • Note, the documentation issue has been escalated to Kaspersky experts for review. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Thanks, @Flood and Flood's wife 
So is this some kind of firewall functionality that runs in addition to the Windows firewall or does it more focus on scanning for viruses transmitted on network connections?
Can this feature be disabled in KSCF?
Can I put in a feature request that the protection level for each connection can be modified after the initial dialog even with the free version?
I’m a little concerned that some network protocols might get blocked and in addition to fiddling with router settings and Windows firewall settings, I would also have to fiddle with KSC settings to get them to work.

Hello @kandi8000

You’re most welcome☺ !

1. Nothing to do with viruses. 
  2. No
  3. Interesting question, Kaspersky’s documentation say’s there’s no Technical Support available to users of their free software, however, (ioo), you may wish to log a Feedback, I have a complaint request, follow the template as in our image, atm select software version 21. 1.15.500 as Kaspersky have not updated their templates, in the problem description include  KSCF 21.2.16.590, if the Kaspersky team have a problem with the request being made by a user of the free software, they will tell you. 
  • Provide as much information as possible, the difficulties you’re experiencing & your concerns, include images & video if they help define the issue(s); if Kaspersky accept the request, they may ask for data, they will guide you with the collection if necessary

• After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will communicate with you, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in your MyKaspersky account.

Please let us know what they advise, when the information is available?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋