Weird files in %appdata% belonging to a program I never installed.

So, one day I was looking through my %appdata% folder, looking for error logs since I was modding a game, only to come across "Goldberg steamemu saves". It caught my attention and checked it out, only to find .txt files inside of it. I found out that this belongs to Goldberg Emulator, but I never downloaded it. I looked online and found a post saying a game repack can have it. Though, I haven't pirated any games in over a year and haven't done so ever on my current installation of Windows. I also checked the creation date of the folder and it was created around a year ago on my current Windows installation.

I found some info that it could've been created by game repacks, but I've never pirated anything on this installation of Windows. I have no idea how it got there.

I've used SC since I installed Windows on this PC and have used a second opinion scanner several times in the past.

Though, I'm still concerned and confused as to how it got onto my computer. Should I reinstall Windows10, just in case?

hi @BigHotStud

It does not look like you need to reinstall Windows.

To feel safe, you can check for presence of anything looking strange: 

1. Scheduled tasks. To open Scheduled Tasks, click Start, click All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Scheduled Tasks.

2. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\

3. Press Ctrl-Shift-Esc, and the “Task Manager” will open. Click on “More Details” in the bottom-left corner of the window. Switch to “Startup” menu. Now, you will be able to view every program that starts up when you launch Windows 10.

On 5/19/2022 at 11:59 AM, Igor Kurzin said:

hi @BigHotStud

It does not look like you need to reinstall Windows.

To feel safe, you can check for presence of anything looking strange: 

1. Scheduled tasks. To open Scheduled Tasks, click Start, click All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Scheduled Tasks.

2. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\

3. Press Ctrl-Shift-Esc, and the “Task Manager” will open. Click on “More Details” in the bottom-left corner of the window. Switch to “Startup” menu. Now, you will be able to view every program that starts up when you launch Windows 10.

Sorry for replying so late.

1. I checked that a while ago (I think) and I haven't seen anything suspicious.

2. The startup folder is completely empty.

3. Nothing suspicious there either.