warned that I use same passwords on websites, is Kaspersky still saving my password secretly somehow?

ahchang

I just installed the Kaspersky Secuirty Cloud (free version).  I first logged into my acccount for a website.  After I finished working, I logged out and logged into another website; Kaspersky then warned me that I am using the same passwords for 2 different websites.

I am a bit concerned since if it knows that I am using the same password, it must somehow save my password somewhere for comparison. 

I can disable Karperskey from warning me about the same password, but is it still saving my password secretly somehow?  Is there a way to disable Kaspersky from saving my password?  Are all the saved passwords secure?

Thanks for your support.

I too am very concerned about this.  If I tell Kaspersky not to use password manager and I tell Kaspersky not to warn about passwords then I have an expectation that Kaspersky will not analyse my passwords at all or store them.

I have also set the popups on my “Kaspersky Cloud Free” not to show me advertising:

Today I got a popup begging me to install Kaspersky password manager.  This is “Promotional Materials” that I have specifically said I don’t want to receive.

I also set the “message” about password manager not being installed to “Ignore” but both of these settings did not prevent the advert popup:

I moved to Kaspersky Free Cloud from Avast Free specifically because of the hated Avast “upsell” popups because Kaspersky was not meant to do this kind of thing.

Very Disappointing - I feel a bit let down and also very suspicious just like the OP.

Hello  @smipx,

🛑 As you have  Kaspersky Free Cloud  there is no Technical Support🛑

• Is the “popup begging me to install Kaspersky password manager”,  your Notification Centre, Ignored notifications: image with arrow or is there another “popup”? 

☢ If there’s another “advert popup, please post so we can see everything?☢  

1. In KSCloud: Password Security Check settings, did you also select: Delete saved data
  2. In Website categories window, have you unchecked any or all of the following:
  • Internet banks and payment systems
  • Social networks
  • Mail services

➡ If there is a “same password” alert warning on your system, may I have an image please?⬅  

•  ⚠As KPM in not installed, KPM is not checking any password⚠  

Thank you.

I just installed the Kaspersky Secuirty Cloud (free version).  I first logged into my acccount for a website.  After I finished working, I logged out and logged into another website; Kaspersky then warned me that I am using the same passwords for 2 different websites.

I am a bit concerned since if it knows that I am using the same password, it must somehow save my password somewhere for comparison. 

I can disable Karperskey from warning me about the same password, but is it still saving my password secretly somehow?  Is there a way to disable Kaspersky from saving my password?  Are all the saved passwords secure?

Thanks for your support.

Hello  @ahchang,

Welcome!

1. In Password Security Check settings, did you also select: Delete saved data
  2. In Website categories window, have you unchecked any or all of the following:
  • Internet banks and payment systems
  • Social networks
  • Mail services

➡ May I have an image of  “same password” alert warning please?⬅  

Please let me know?

Thank you

Hiya,

I did not get any password warnings myself (I did a while back but I deleted the categories and saved data of the passwords as you mentioned above and have never seen any “warnings about PW strength since)  -  I guess I was empathizing with the original poster as this was the case for him.  He should check on his system though as I suspect he has not done the deletion of the password caches and categories).

I was just a bit annoyed about the advert popup in my case.  If it happens again then I will deffo screenshot the popup for you :-)     It seemed like it might have been related somehow but in hindsight my issue is a different one (regarding the popup advert) …

Cheers,

Paul

Hello  @ahchang  &  @smipx,

Official answer from Kaspersky Lab Technical Support experts, Thursday, 19 December 2019 16:50, to the question: 

“ is Kaspersky Security Cloud still saving my password secretly somehow ?  “  

Kaspersky Security Cloud analyzes the DOM page generated by the browser, reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Document_Object_Model. 

When a customer enters something into the password field, Kaspersky Security Cloud uses a java script to analyze the sequence of characters using heuristic rules.

The sequence of the entered characters is explicitly available and can be analyzed using the Java script as soon as it is entered.

The entered sequence is **not saved** in the application; it is processed only within the context of a browser.

Some browsers even have this feature built-in.”⬅

Thank you🙏

Hi,  As promised a screen print of the windows notification area popup from Kaspersky cloud free asking me to install password manager. I think this was just after Kaspersky did an automatic update. from “who know what version” to 200.14.1085(g). This is a second computer I have it installed on and I also have “no adverts” selected in Preferences just the same. The only option I have ticked in the interface “Notification Settings” is “Notify about events” which one must have ticked to get notifications properly about detections I assume?  All of the others are unticked!

Annoying popup to install password manager

My settings:

Thanks

Paul

Hello  @smipx,

Thank you for posting the image.

I understand the issue and I’ll try to clarify what is happening, KPM comes “bundled = preinstalled” with Kaspersky Security Cloud and Kaspersky Total Security.

Everytime there is a new version and major patch, the option to ☑ Install Kaspersky Password Manager will be presented.

If KPM is not wanted   ☑ Install Kaspersky Password Manager must be 🔲unticked

(imo), when the install, update process is taking place, an option to “choose” should be presented, and, I also agree, if “you’ve” previously configured the Kaspersky software to NOT install a module, the software should have enough “smarts” to remember the choices, unfortuantely, it doesn’t😖

Configuring the Notification Centre will have no bearing on the “Install KPM”, that comes with a new version, patch and or clean install. 

Thank you.