Version 21.2.16.590, Application Control no longer applies rules to child spawned processes. The shortcuts to Application Activity & Network Monitor have been removed

montymo

There are two issues I’m having with the latest update (21.2.16.590) on windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.

First the shortcuts to Application Activity & Network Monitor have been removed (Image below shows the previous version). This is an inconvenience, as in now takes many more clicks to get to it. And this is something i use all the time.

Images below are from version 21.1.15.500 on Windows 7 64bit. Where everything is good.

2nd major issue I’m having with the latest version is Application Control no longer applies rules to child spawned processes. The image below is how its always worked, where for example i have internet access blocked for a program and anything launched from that program will have the same rules applied to it. So instead of all child process being blocked, the new version will allow internet access.

There are two issues I’m having with the latest update (21.2.16.590) on windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.

1. First the shortcuts to Application Activity & Network Monitor have been removed .This is an inconvenience, as in now takes many more clicks to get to it. And this is something i use all the time.
  1. 2nd major issue I’m having with the latest version is Application Control no longer applies rules to child spawned processes. Instead of all child process being blocked, the new version will allow internet access.

Hello @montymo

Welcome!

1. Application context menu, has been “reduced”, there’s many Kaspersky subscribers who are unhappy with this change. Kaspersky has not “elaborated” on the why the change was made, (ioo), they probably hope Kaspersky subscribers will “adjust” over time🙄
  2. Would you kindly post an image of  the Application control problem, as you see it now please? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Hi,

I hope they put the context menu back, as not having it is a real pain for me.

The issue with the current Application control is that new spawned processes don’t inherit the same rules as the parent program from which it was launched from. So for example in the image above you can see the “Firefox” nodes inherent the same rules as the parent “HD Tune Pro” . So all internet access is blocked as i set it.

In the new version the spawned processes don’t inherit the same rules as the parent. So the “Firefox” nodes will all be green and be allowed internet access. This is not what i want.

Hi, I hope they put the context menu back, as not having it is a real pain for me.

The issue with the current Application control is that new spawned processes don’t inherit the same rules as the parent program from which it was launched from. So for example in the image above you can see the “Firefox” nodes inherent the same rules as the parent “HD Tune Pro” . So all internet access is blocked as i set it. In the new version the spawned processes don’t inherit the same rules as the parent. So the “Firefox” nodes will all be green and be allowed internet access. This is not what i want.

Hello @montymo

You’re welcome!

Post an image of the current Application control issue, as you see it please, we’ve only got our systems to compare it to, our data, does not reflect the problem

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

This is what it looks like in the new version. As you can see the “Firefox” nodes that were launched from “HD Tune” no longer get the same rules as HD Tune. So they are getting internet access, when it should be blocked. (as i set the rules for HD Tune to have no network access)

Child should always get the same rules as the parent.

But in the latest version, child gets default rules instead of inheriting rules from parent. This is a big problem.

Images below is from version 21.2.16.590 on Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.

This is what it looks like in the new version. As you can see the “Firefox” nodes that were launched from “HD Tune” no longer get the same rules as HD Tune. So they are getting internet access, when it should be blocked. (as i set the rules for HD Tune to have no network access)

Child should always get the same rules as the parent. But in the latest version, child gets default rules instead of inheriting rules from parent. This is a big problem.

Hello @montymo

Thank you for the image & information👌

Please log a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, include:

1.  A detailed history
  2. What caused the problem?
  3. Did you try to solve the problem? How?
  4. Text from an error message? Screen shot? Video?
  5. Community topic URL?
  6. Note: Support may request Traces & other data, they will guide you

7. After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will communicate with you, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in your MyKaspersky account.

Please let us know the outcome when it’s available? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Ok, i have submitted it to tech support.

Also "Move to group" doesn't work in the Application Activity window, so i have to go to the Manage Applications window to move things to different groups.

Application Activity window seems complete broken in this latest update.

I wish Kaspersky didn't go down the Windows 10 path and force buggy updates on people!

Hello @montymo,

Thank you for the update, the additional information and for logging a case, that’s so important👏

Re “I wish Kaspersky didn't go down the Windows 10 path and force buggy updates on people!”, you’re not alone, this latest version has many cosmetic changes, that ioo, and that of others, offered no security improvements or value and unnecessary problems. 

Kaspersky’s core security products , that’s what people know, trust & respect, there’s no need for window dressing. 

Please be alert to a Kaspersky process, they will close your case if you don’t respond within a specified period.

Please share the outcome, with the Community, when it’s available? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Regarding the issue with moving group to Low restictions in Application activity - there is a bug for the issue fixed in MR3 version of product (release ~ in February)

• 1 month later...