Unexpected - KIS 2019 updated to KIS 2020 automatically

I have been running KIS 2019 with the ‘Do not download new versions automatically and do not notify me when new versions are available' setting under 'New application versions' (Settings - Additional - Update).  Today KIS 2019 upgraded to KIS 2020 without any action on my part.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation?

Also in KIS 2020 the ‘New applications versions’ option is no longer visible. Has Kaspersky eliminated the option for users to stop the automatic update to a new version?

Best regards.

Hello @onispop,

Welcome!

1. In theory this is how it’s supposed to work, however, ime, I’ve had “Do not download new versions automatically and do not notify me when they are available   set & still had new versions arrive silently, after arrival, if the device is rebooted the new version will be applied. 
  2. Regarding “New applications versions option is no longer visible/available “, correct, Kaspersky appears to have removed this option, however, the “rationale/purpose” behind the change is unclear/unknown &, the change (imo) is unwelcome😖
  • According to the Kaspersky Help Desk Online Chat operator:

The Kaspersky developers have deemed that regularly upgrading the products to the latest versions is necessary to keep the effectiveness of the security they provide.”

unquote

• For further clarification, they are seeking an “official statement”. We’ll update your topic when the information is available. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Thank you FLOOD for the prompt response.
1. The automatic update 'policy' is basically invasive e.g. unwanted
   application such as Kaspersky Password Manager gets installed
   by default.
2. I agree, the elimination of this setting is unwelcome. I wonder what
   happens when the automatic update "breaks' the license's activation
   rules (1 version backwards and 3 versions forward) e.g. activation
   of KIS 2019 with a KIS 2016 license ... will the license became invalid
   if the software is automatically updated to the 2020 version?

Best Regards.

onispop 

Hello @onispop,

You’re most welcome☺ !

• Re: “ KPM get’s installed by default “, correct, & (imo) a major oversight by Kaspersky.

It’s all very well to control the currency of their products, however, it’s unwise to do so with a big stick. 

Additionally, if KIS was being installed as opposed to upgraded, the option to not have KPM is available.

(imo) sometimes the changes Kaspersky makes are poorly developed/designed, and the consequences of any changes poorly “thought” through. 

1. ➡ To “mitigate”, in the application Notification center, for any “features” Kaspersky customers do not wish to have/use, Kaspersky have added an Ignore & or Skip option, there should be such a notification for KPM - please check and let us know if the option is available? 

• Re “ I wonder what happens when the automatic update "breaks' the license's activation rules (1 version backwards and 3 versions forward) e.g. activation of KIS 2019 with a KIS 2016 license ... will the license became invalid if the software is automatically updated to the 2020 version? “

We’ve asked Kaspersky, we’ll update your topic with their response when it’s available. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

I also have a problem where V19.0.0.1088 (1) was updated to V 20.0.14.1085(j) without me knowing and having the software update switched off and also Password Manager was installed and this is the only change on my PC in last 24 hours and since the update to later version I cannot get Firefox to open even to the point of uninstalling and doing a reinstall it still fails to open browser. My licence runs out in the next month so need to know what fix to apply or unfortunately after many years I will be forced to leave the best Internet Security on market

Hi FLOOD my pc has been switched off and restarted a couple of times with me uninstalling Firefox and then reinstalling trying to get it to work but still no joy.

To run the system in safe mode is going to require plenty setting changes toget windows to boot in safe mode.

The problem only started after the silent install of software update and all was fine until I restarted pc yesterday morning and found Firefox no longer working so cannot see how by starting pc in safe mode will prove anything.

Where can I upload the getsystem info you asked for as I do not want my system open for all and sundry to look at,  thanks in advance

Hello @itekweni-durban

Thank you for the update👌

• 🅰
  1. In Programs & Features - may we have an image of Firefox - installed program please?
  2. What is the system Default browser? 
  3. Press Win+R - type firefox -p - in the Firefox - Choose User Profile popup, select Default, select Start Firefox - what happens?

• SafeMode with Networking is a very simple process - follow steps and video
  1. In Windows Search🔎 type     msconfig
  2. System configuration app will appear - select the app
  3. Open msconfig
  4. Select Boot tab.
  5. Select  - tick ✔ Safe boot.
  6. Select ⚫ Network.
  7. Select Apply.
  8. Select OK.
  9. Select Restart.
  10. System boots in SafeMode with Networking.

Link

To return to Normal Mode: follow steps & images

1. In Windows Search🔎 type     msconfig
  2. System configuration app will appear - select the app
  3. Open msconfig.
  4. Select Boot tab.
  5. Uncheck - remove tick from ⬜ Safe boot.
  6. Select Apply.
  7. Select OK.
  8. Select Restart  **not shown in images**
  9. System boots in Normal mode

• Regarding GSI data, if you do not wish to post here, raise a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, provide a detailed history, images, they may ask for Traces, captured as the issue is replicated & the GSI & Windows logs.
  • After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will communicate with you, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in your MyKaspersky account.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hello @onispop

More from Kaspersky - the “reason”:

quote:

“ Because for now, Kaspersky company does not want the users to control automatic update to the latest version, thus "Disable automatic update to the latest version" has been removed.“

unquote

?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Flood because of this ruling it looks like I will be moving from Kaspersky because by removing user control bothers me because I like to be in control of the way applications are run and not dictated to by a software company.

As you can see since the update the problems I have had and the reason I still ran version V19.0.0.1088 (1) was because of the mismatch of also having Malwarebytes installed because I wanted all round protection.

My default browser is Waterfox but my partner used Firefox and I have now migrated her to Chrome and will try repair Firefox once I remove KIS when licence expires so thank you for your help you have been very helpful but you are limited by the rules taken by Kaspersky.

Again thank you for your support

Hello @itekweni-durban

You’re most welcome ☺ !

• (imo) the removal of “New applications versions “ options, apart from the fact Kaspersky have not communicated, via Release notes & or documentation, and the fact it suits them as opposed to the customers, is, at a minimum - arrogant. 
  • The fact the change disadvantages the Kaspersky Customer are wide ranging, and seems to count for nought.
  • For the record and transparency, re “you are limited by the rules taken by Kaspersky”, not at all, I have nothing to do with Kaspersky, apart from the fact I use their software.
  • Just like everyone else in the Community; the only in-house Kaspersky people  are easily identified by Kaspersky employee beside their name, everyone else is just like you, a user or former user of Kaspersky software, we all volunteer our time, to help each other. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

HI FLOOD just an update that by adding Firefox to Malwarebytes exclusions it has solved the problems with browser not working so looks like something KIS has incorporated to try and prevent users from having another protection program running side by side with KIS.

Hello @itekweni-durban,

We’re delighted🤸 to read you’ve solved the problem👏

KIS2020 software compatibility check lists Malwarebytes conflict, to keep both products active on a system disable Malwarebytes real time Ransomware Protection, alternatively, according to @sparkyspark Malwarebytes components package 1.0.854 is supposed to be the fix published by MBAM. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hi folks,

To avoid a forced upgrade to version 20.x.x.x(x) inspite of having done the setting to “Do automatically upgrade to a newer version” do the fellowing few easy steps:

1. Download the Kaspersky Update Utility 3.0 from https://support.kaspersky.com/de/updater3 (Yeah it’s mainly written for enterprise use - but it works great even for privateers).
  2. Unpack the zip archive to location you want.
  3. Start the exe “UpdateUtility-Gui.exe”.
  4. Define the storage folder where downloaded files are being stored. Choose your approriate version of KAV/KIS/KTS you need.
  5. Choose a time schedule when the updater should get signatures and patches for your choosen version.
  6. Uninstall the v 20.x.x.x.x like discriped here: https://support.kaspersky.com/14382
  7. Open Settings, heading forward to #”Expanded” - “Update” - “Adjust update sources”. klick “Add”. Point to the created folder fromstep 4. “Deactivate” the entry “Kaspersky-Lab-Update-Server” (this avoids direct connection of the program and getting again the update force). Put the newly added entry on top of list.

All done. At last start the update utility once manually to fill your new personal repository. Your KAV/KIS/KTS will now look to this location (as long as it exists) and get the new signatures but NOT get the force upgrade.

Have fun & cu

S. Müller

I wonder what happens when the automatic update "breaks' the license activation rules (1 version backwards and 3 versions forward) e.g. activation of KIS 2019 with a KIS 2016 license ... will the license became invalid, if the software is automatically updated to the 2020 version?

Hello @onispop

According to Kaspersky Technical Support, Friday, 29 May 2020 15:49

quote:

The +3/-1 rule no longer applies.

The rule has been removed from How to switch to a different Kaspersky application

Starting from version 2016, a license is not bound to a certain product version, so users of 2016 version of the product may upgrade to 2020. If there is an issue using an older licence with a newer version, Support can help resolve the issue.

unquote. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳