Unable to run Kaspersky Password Manager

billferns
Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

I am unable to launch Kaspersky Password Manager.

A short while ago I purchased and downloaded an application called Restoro. During one of its sweeps this software identified KPM as malware and deleted it! I've since reinstalled KPM but have been unable to run it and access the vault. Each time I click on the open button a dialogue box appears from the Microsoft store asking me to search for an application to run it.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Kaspersky Total Security and Kaspersky Password Manager but neither resolves the problem. I am presently running Windows 10.

Any help to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

A short while ago I purchased and downloaded an application called Restoro.
During one of its sweeps this software identified KPM as malware and deleted it! 

Welcome. Please contact  Restoro about this false positive.

A short while ago I purchased and downloaded an application called Restoro.
During one of its sweeps this software identified KPM as malware and deleted it! 

Welcome. Please contact  Restoro about this false positive.

Thanks for the reply. 

The main issue is the fact I now cannot run the Password Manager. When I try to, a window opens asking me to search the Microsoft Store for an app that’ll run the Password Manager. I need to find what this piece of software is. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the KPM software, but this doesn’t appear to work.

Hello @billferns,

Through @Bernys preliminary work I also have a question:

on your desktop I can't see any icon for the password manager.
Can you please open Windows Explorer and navigate to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Password Manager 9.0.2`?

Does the directory exist?
Can you find a 'kpm.exe' (about 740 KB) in it?
If yes, please double-click it.
What happens?

Hello,

I’m having the same problem.

When I tried to open kaspersky password manager from Kaspersky total security, it asks me to search from Microsoft store. 

I tried to uninstall KPM and re-install using the kpm.exe downloaded directly from the website, but now i got the notification said that it’s already installed.

There is no “C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Password Manager 9.0.2” in my computer anymore.

Now I can’t use KPM and can’t install it aswell, because it keep saying that KPM already installed

Please help, thank you verymuch

(Sorry for the language in screenshots)

Hello,

I’m having the same problem.

When I tried to open kaspersky password manager from Kaspersky total security, it asks me to search from Microsoft store. 

I tried to uninstall KPM and re-install using the kpm.exe downloaded directly from the website, but now i got the notification said that it’s already installed.

There is no “C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Password Manager 9.0.2” in my computer anymore.

Now I can’t use KPM and can’t install it aswell, because it keep saying that KPM already installed

Please help, thank you verymuch

(Sorry for the language in screenshots)

Update: I completely uninstall KPM by using revo uninstaller, clean the leftover registries, and  fresh reinstall KPM again, everything works fine now.

Hello @billferns,

Through @Bernys preliminary work I also have a question:

on your desktop I can't see any icon for the password manager.
Can you please open Windows Explorer and navigate to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Password Manager 9.0.2`?

Does the directory exist?
Can you find a 'kpm.exe' (about 740 KB) in it?
If yes, please double-click it.
What happens?

Thanks for your reply, sorry for the delay in coming back to this forum.

I have followed your instructions and can advise as follows:

The folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Password Manager 9.0.2 no longer exists on my hard drive. I do have the kpm.exe file in my downloads and when I double click on it a box appears to say that it is already installed. I've also followed the advice of another contributor and downloaded Revo Uninstaller before beginning a fresh install. Unfortunately, this has the same effect as before and that when I open Kaspersky password manager box appears suggesting I look on the Microsoft store for a suitable app to launch it.

It seems that what I'm missing is the piece of software Kaspersky uses to launch the password manager. If anybody knows what this is, and how I can get my hands on it, I think this would solve the problem.

Hello @billferns,

do you know how to use the registry editor?

If yes, please check if these entries exist:
Path: 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\KasperskyLab\Kaspersky Password Manager'.

Please do not change anything, the system can quickly become unusable!

Hi Schulte, 

I have checked in the above directory and there is no Kaspersky Password Manager folder. Another uninstall and re-install has failed to fix the issue. 

1. I have checked in the above directory and there is no Kaspersky Password Manager folder.
  2. Another uninstall and re-install has failed to fix the issue. 

Hello @billferns

Thank you for updating us!

1. Just to confirm, in the Windows 10 Registry editor, there is no Kaspersky Password Manager folder in the path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\KasperskyLab\Kaspersky Password Manager 

2. Was the KPM uninstall & reinstall done as stand alone software or as a part of the Kaspersky Total Security uninstall/re-install? 
  3. Is KTS working normally?
  4. Has the issue been logged with Kaspersky Technical Support

Please let us know?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Thanks for your reply and your help so far. To confirm:

There is no Kaspersky password manager folder atHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\KasperskyLab\Kaspersky Password Manager.

I uninstalled KPM Using stand-alone software, and not the installer provided by Kaspersky.

KTS appears to be working normally.

As of yet, I have not logged this with Kaspersky technical support. Do you recommend I do that to try and resolve this issue?

• Solution
  1. As of yet, I have not logged this with Kaspersky technical support. Do you recommend I do that to try and resolve this issue?

Hello @billferns,

You’re most welcome!

Thank you for taking the time to update us. 

1. Yes please, on the support page, select either Online Chat or Email, fill in the Application malfunction, Application fails to start template → we’ve included images as a guide; please include a detailed history & images; Support may request logs, traces & other data, they will advise you:

• Please share the outcome with the Community when it’s available?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

I am pleased to say that this issue has now been resolved with the help of Kaspersky Technical Support.

The technician used the Kaspersky uninstall tool to completely remove the password manager program, and then carry out a fresh install.

As you can see from the number of posts that I've made I am new to these forums. That said, I have been overwhelmed by how quickly the members of this community have contributed with advice and suggestions on how to fix this problem. I truly appreciate the assistance I have received from each and every one of you.