Threat of Data loss notifications

Aidr20
Go to solution Solved by Berny,

I have very little knowledge re technical aspects of I T so it didn’t answer for me “What does the notification mean”? or if indeed I do need to take any action then i’d like someone to give me a simple explanation without me having to read long explanations that lose me in the  I T language used please. Also if it did help me solve the issue how exactly do I mark it as solved.

Thank you.

Hello,. Basically I have sometimes been getting a notification about a Threat of Data loss that is apparently blocked.

I have tried finding the topic on Kaspersky’s resources, support etc but can’t find anything to help me understand.

This may be because I don’t have the time or inclination to keep searching or that the I T language used is too much for me with no experience in such matters.

So I have 3 questions. Even if the 1st can be answered simply and to the point at this stage, it will help  me a little.

What does the notification mean and what is actually happening???

Do I need to be concerned or can I ignore it???

If I need to take any action what must I do???

Thank you.

Hello @Aidr20,

• Sometimes “Threat of Data loss” alerts are false positives and at other times they are legitimate. 
  • The original guidance was for you to open a request with Kaspersky Technical Support and ask them to analyse the site generating the alert. 
  • ▶The Kaspersky Community can happily provide guidance & possibly answer your questions if you provide the url that’s generating the “ Threat of Data loss” alert.
  • The url /site may be dangerous so don’t post the full url, modify the url, for example, if the site was https://community.kaspersky.com/ you’d write community.kaspersky.com; & or post an image so we can see the url?
  • At the moment: 
  1. What does the notification mean? We do not know unless we see the Site/URL sending the alert. 
  2. What is actually happening? Kaspersky is blocking the site & sending an alert, because, according to Kaspersky, there’s a problem with the site, however, sometimes, the alerts are false positives. 
  3. Do I need to be concerned or can I ignore it? No, do not ignore these alerts.
  4. If I need to take any action what must I do? Provide us with the site name & an image of the alert?

Please post back?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

If I need to take any action what must I do???

Our Community will not be able to fix this problem, your only option is to submit your issue to K-Lab Technical Support : https://center.kaspersky.com 

Also please submit the suspicious url here https://opentip.kaspersky.com and after you obtained the report please click on “Submit for reanalyze

Thank you FLOOD and Berny. I am trying to learn how to do things myself and your last responses make sense to me now. I appreciate the help and advice and will endeavour to follow the submissions that you have advised. Re the notification, it said ‘Threat of data loss. Blocked link toolbox3.i...’ That is all that was there with the (…)finishing the information.  The notification hasn’t happened the last couple of times that I was doing the same procedure on the PC. I know where it seems to be coming from and from your information maybe it is probably a false negetive. Thank you once again and for your patience with me and I have learned a few thing. Thumbs up.

Hello @Aidr20,

You’re most welcome☺ !

• While we cannot fix “Threat of Data loss” issues, we can always provide guidance and we’re always happy to do so. 
  • To find the “Threat of Data loss” alerts, open Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) application, select More tools, select Reports, select Detailed Reports, select a timeframe you think the alerts happened, look thru all events, particularly File Anti-Virus, Web Anti-Virus & Detected objects, the alert information should show. KIS Reports can be exported and shared here or with the Technical team. 
  • The Technical Team will be able to definitively answer if the alert is a False positive; also it helps Kaspersky if they are given the information - they will always fix False positives if at all possible.
  • If you do decide to log a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, fill in the Malware, False positive template - see image

• Please let us know the outcome, when it’s available? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

• 1 month later...

I have same problem.

Your answer above, “

• To find the “Threat of Data loss” alerts, open Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) application, select More tools, select Reports, select Detailed Reports, select a timeframe you think the alerts happened, look thru all events, particularly File Anti-Virus, Web Anti-Virus & Detected objects, the alert information should show. KIS Reports can be exported and shared here or with the Technical team. “

Unfortunately, none of these events show up in any of the reports. There is no option to select Detailed Reports. Since I can’t see the full URL in the alert, and it is not in any of the reports, this is a useless alert.

How can I find the full URL?

Hello @mencik

Welcome!

1. Which Kaspersky software is installed, name, version & patch ? → on the Windows Taskbar, right click on the tiny Kaspersky icon, in the popup window, select About 
  2. Post a full screen image of the alert please? 

Please post back? 

Thank you🙏

Flood+1🐳

Disclaimer, we have no association with Kaspersky. 

Kaspersky Internet Security 21.1.15.500 (b)

The alerts only show up in the notification window on the right side of the screen. As soon as you view them, they are cleared, so I’ll have to wait for the next one to appear. Unfortunately, the notification window is so small, the full URL is not displayed, and there is no corresponding entry in any of the Kaspersky logs. There is no Detailed Reports menu option from the Reports page.

Hello @mencik

Thank you👌

• With v21, the Report interface has changed.

Open KIS, select MORE TOOLS, select Reports, the Report window opens, look for the alerts that concern you, SAVE the Report as a text file, attach📎 the Report to your reply please? 

In our image, we’ve selected Web Anti-Virus Report for a few days, your Report will look similar

Please post back? 

Thank you🙏

Flood+1🐳

Hello @mencik

You’re welcome!

1. We have read & understood everything you’ve written. 
  2. If the notifications are only showing in the Windows notification centre, are they Kaspersky alerts?
  3. When you can grab a full screen image, please do so & post? 

Thank you🙏

Flood+1🐳

That is what shows on the screen for a few seconds, and then is in the Windows Action Center. There is no way to read the full URL in the message, and there is no corresponding error message in any of the KIS report logs.

Hello @mencik

Contact Kaspersky Technical Support, try to provide accurate information to help them help you, follow the template as a guide, they may request a GSI & Windows Logs, Traces & the KIS Report, please share everything with them

• After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will communicate with you, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in your MyKaspersky account.

Thank you🙏

Flood+1🐳

• 3 years later...

Wow, what an eye-opening discussion! 🧐 As someone who values their data security, stumbling upon this thread was incredibly enlightening. 💻 The insights shared by the community regarding the threat of data loss notifications and how to address them are invaluable. 🛡️ It's reassuring to know that there are proactive steps we can take to mitigate these risks and safeguard our digital lives. 🔒 Thank you to everyone who contributed to this forum for sharing your expertise and experiences! 🙏 I'll definitely be implementing some of these strategies to enhance my own data protection measures. 💪