[Suggestion for Kaspersky] Dark Mode/Theme UI

Hello Kaspersky Community,

Thank you very much @Anton Mefodys and @Igor Kurzin for posting to this thread. But you know, Igor, that what you're suggesting isn't a solution. The "Custom Design Theme" isn't a solution.

The solution is one and only, Kaspersky must add dark mode in every Kaspersky product. I don't understand why Kaspersky hasn't implemented dark mode to their products yet, even when many users are requesting it here in the Community, and I believe that you might have many requests and suggestions about the dark mode at your Support as well. At last, Kaspersky really has to do something and add dark mode in every Kaspersky product.

These days, dark mode is everywhere (Windows, apps, sites, everywhere). Why can't Kaspersky understand that?

Every one is asking for the dark mode's addition for their own personal purposes.
Many people, like me, have a problem with our eyes and this white colour makes our lives difficult and it's very inconvenient as well. How shall I put this, white colour/light mode is really uncomfortable and hurts our eyes.

Kaspersky is a big company and they should listen, understand and respect their costumers and their needs. So, I believe that Kaspersky will implement dark mode to their products and that must happen as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance and sorry for any inconvenience.

Its been a long time. Like literally i have nothing to say i am speechless. Dont they give a damn about their customer. Are their services this bad. How do they expect so much patience from us when the task is simple. Just how long does it take to write 000000 as their code or any hex something whatever code kaspersky is written in. Just type if the users presses that dark mode ;else light. Like there might be atleast 100 programmers in kaspersky how long does it even take. Like will they introduce it when linux takes over and windows 10 rein of throne will be finally over. Comeon man it isnt even tahat hard like why did mac users get it then. Why justice to mac users and injustice to windows like is this how kaspersky justify people. Comeon man our eyes hurt should this be a great concern to kaspersky. Make it simple atleast bitdefender didnt leave their windows customer behind they listened. I am sorry but this image was taken from one of my friends laptop who was bullying me thanks to kaspersky 😢 . I know its a bit of odd reason to get sad for this but my friend is telling all about dark mode everytime i chat with him which makes me sad as i the one who loves dark mode so much cant take full experience thanks to kaspersky. Sorry if it hurt somebody.

Hi, in some regions (not in all) there is an option to use a custom theme:

The theme presets are not available in current version, themes are to be created by the users. 

Here is an instrucion (unfortunately, only in Russian; you can translate, e.g. via Chrome ): 

https://www.kaspersky.ru/blog/skin-customization/?_ga=2.198344102.801365570.1610342970-128086556.1605095703

Not available and thus i am here heart broken. All alone in a light universe.

I tried it also it doesnt work. I downloaded the russian version then changed the language to english then tried everything. But it doesnt work i cant make it in dark mode. It used to work with the previous version of the kaspersky internet security. I saw it many people could do it in their previous version but it really doesnt work in the current one. I spent whole one day but the results werent satisfying i ended up in depression after i couldnt do it. 😭

My one looks like this 

and the one shown in the website looks like this given below:

Even after that I tried with the new one the functions are a lot different. At a point i became clueless like it was so different and even after i tried nothing did happen. I even edited the code in skins but nothing really matters. 

By the way why make things so complicated for the user. It would be wise if there was an option to chose between dark and light mode. Just like the other softwares in the market like bitdefender or windows customs dark theme which syncs with toher software like chrome and edge and also bit. so it would be good if kaspersky detect windows theme and give the option.

• 2 weeks later...

SOLVED
Hello fellow KIS 21.2.xxxx (patch b) users @hans2323 @elpano @Flood and Flood's wife@Hope kronos and others!

I have a sensitivity to light and had to look for a dark theme solution for the beloved product (I’ve been using Kaspersky products since the mid-2000s). Last night, I’ve successfully ported a custom dark theme created by one of the Russian-speaking users for the ru-RU version of KIS 21.2.xxxx (b) to en-GB version.  IMHO, it should work for any En version and likely for other versions too.

There are two perceived (!) roadblocks for me that prevent me from publicly (wink-wink) sharing this custom theme and its activation solution:

You must add a new folder (named customskin) to KIS main directory and add a new string value to Windows Registry (UseCustomSkins). Both of these actions will require a user to disable Self-defence, Pause Protection and Exit KIS completely for a brief moment (I personally unplugged my internet cable during that moment just in case).

It does not replace any existing files in any way, only adds new files/folders. Files of this custom theme have been scanned by a number of antiviruses just in case, but they appear to be regular xml files (you can open and edit them with Win Notepad and modify the theme even further).

Personally, I do not see posting the custom theme and its activation solution publicly as a problem, but I do not want to get banned on this forum. Perhaps, forum admins/ Kaspersky staff can solve my doubts regarding the two perceived roadblocks above? This is a custom theme after all and no funny business is required). Looking forward to hearing from admins/Kaspersky staff if I can post the solution publicly. Thanks!

Omg why so much pain.  Will it be so hard and shameful if they just added the option dark mode before the custom theme. Like the customer needs to do many things. And its hard.

Sorry, @Hope kronos , I do not know. I am just trying to do what I can, with what I have, where I am.
Apart from the solution above, and the paraphrasing of the great Roosevelt, I could have offered another working American concept - "foot voting", but it looks like you might have already switched to a different product. Yet, if you are interested in my solution, feel free to DM.

Omg why so much pain.  Will it be so hard and shameful if they just added the option dark mode before the custom theme. Like the customer needs to do many things. And its hard.

Sorry, @Hope kronos , I do not know. I am just trying to do what I can, with what I have, where I am.
Apart from the solution above, and the paraphrasing of the great Roosevelt, I could have offered another working American concept - "foot voting", but it looks like you might have already switched to a different product. Yet, if you are interested in my solution, feel free to DM.

I didnt switch 

I am waiting patiently like a statue for a true dark mode for kaspersky.

Sorry, @Hope kronos , I do not know. I am just trying to do what I can, with what I have, where I am.

I didnt switch 

Of course, it didn’t switch. Because here is no dark mode in KIS 21.2 at this time. Every single element’s colour is hardcoded. There is no magic bullet. Somebody (Kaspersky staff or an individual theme maker needs to go in and manually adjust EACH tiny element in over 20 files. Hense, custom themes.
My CUSTOM THEME solution is being verified by one of the KL staff members. 

DOWNLOAD – files attached 

UNOFFICIAL CUSTOM DARK THEME for KIS 21.2 and 21.3 (Windows) 

I was asked to include the following text by a KL staff member. 

--------------------- 

--This theme is unofficial, untested by Kaspersky Lab, 3rd party custom theme. Install at your own risk. -- 

Creation of a system restore point is recommended before proceeding. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-a-system-restore-point-77e02e2a-3298-c869-9974-ef5658ea3be9 

---------------------- 

It does not appear that KL might be interested in dark theme for a Windows version for some unknown to the public reason. 

Well, I took matters in my own hands and using the instructions for KIS 2020 version posted in this thread earlier, I have created the following unofficial theme for KIS 21.2 and 21.3. 

Feel free to modify this theme using the instructions posted above for personal, non-commercial use. Please DO NOT request changes or further customizations, unless you have a working solution to the areas, I was not able to colour (Reports list in 21.2 and Settings list & Reports list in 21.3). 

I am not related to KL in anyway, I am not a programmers either.

Also, the instructions from 2020 are not valid on some KIS 2021 screens anymore. I suspect the code or layouts have changed since instructions were created in January 2020. 

No hacking or replacement of files is required. Only additional files/folders are added to existing KIS 21.2/3 installations. However, installation of the theme will require you to Turn off KIS Self-Defense, Pause KIS protection and completely exit KIS for a moment. The customskin folder needs to be added to the KIS directory. Note that KIS protect its directory and settings even when you exited KIS, but Self-Defense was left enabled. If you are not able to install the theme, please make sure you are following the instructions in the archive precisely step by step. 

Known Theme Limitations for KIS 21.2 version 

-Some minor screens and elements were not coloured due to lack of interest (Gaming mode & Webcam notifications, sliders, spinners, buttons, many secondary text elements) 

-Report screen has a known problem - the left “item list” background colour is hardcoded #FFFFFF colour. There is nothing I could do - let me know via DM if you solved this. 

-Does not affect the theme of Kaspersky Secure Connection or Kaspersky VPN (there were no public instructions how to customize that)

Known Theme Limitations for KIS 21.3 version 

All of the above. And in the Settings screen the Left “item list” menu background was hardcoded as #FFFFFF colour as well, so I could not find a way to change it via a theme. Let me know via DM if you solved this. 

Moderators: I have a permission from a KL staff member to post this Unofficial Custom Dark Theme if I indicate that it is unofficial, untested 3rd party theme. I have fulfilled the condition – please see the note above. I can provide proof of this communication, moderators, please let me know if you have any questions. 

Do we have any news, do you know if the dark mode will be added in the Kaspersky products in the upcoming version 21 MR4? I hope it will happen, because dark mode is not just a feature but a necessity.

The issue is apparently registered (Reference K-Lab 2812299). I followed up, but no reply so far.

DOWNLOAD – files attached 

UNOFFICIAL CUSTOM DARK THEME for KIS 21.2 and 21.3 (Windows) 

VERSION 2 (fixed Settings menu list for 21.3)

I was asked to include the following text by a KL staff member. 

--------------------- 

--This theme is unofficial, untested by Kaspersky Lab, 3rd party custom theme. Install at your own risk. -- 

Creation of a system restore point is recommended before proceeding. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-a-system-restore-point-77e02e2a-3298-c869-9974-ef5658ea3be9 

---------------------- 

Feel free to modify this theme using the instructions for personal, non-commercial use. 

Difference from Release 1 from this post:
ListBoxItemText.style file has been added. This is KIS 21.3 file that fixed the problem with white menu in Unofficial Dark Theme Release 1. If you have installed the first version, you can just download the missing file (as usual Self-Defense need to be disabled, KIS exited to add the file to the customskin\resources\en\dictionaries folder).

Attached is the entire Release2 and the patch that has just a missing file from Release 1.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...