Software Updater - which are the softwares supported?

Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

I’ve a question due a curiosity and lack of documentation (better says my ability to find it).

Which are the software that can receive updates via Software Updater embedded in Kaspersky Security Cloud? I’ve noticed updating 7-zip, Signal and VLC but which other Software can get their updates via Software Updater?

Thanks everyone for your answers!

• 2 months later...

I would very much like to know the same.  I have the free version and in the free version of Kaspersky Security Cloud the only option is to click “Update All” or to “hide” the notification or click “show” and then kill the following popup with its red cross.  If I click “update all” I have no way to know what software it is just about to update before it is too late. For this reason I have to always click “hide” as this is a very arbitrary and dangerous thing to allow without knowing the consequences in advance.  The option to “Update All” should be removed from the free version in my opinion for this reason.  

I did click “update all” on one occasion and it updated my copy of VMWare 
Player and totally broke it (as it is a heavily customised version to allow the running of a MAC VM).  Took me 2 hours to reapply all the little patches required on the new version.  I was not happy I can tell you.  

I’ve a question due a curiosity and lack of documentation (better says my ability to find it).

Which are the software that can receive updates via Software Updater embedded in Kaspersky Security Cloud? I’ve noticed updating 7-zip, Signal and VLC but which other Software can get their updates via Software Updater? Thanks everyone for your answers!

Hello @Faccin0

Welcome!

We’re so sorry your topic has not been replied to, no idea how it was missed, but clearly it was😥

1. Read @Danila T.  guide Read before you create a new topic! & provide the information please?
  2. Is Kaspersky Security Cloud Premium or Free? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋 

I would very much like to know the same.  I have the free version and in the free version of Kaspersky Security Cloud the only option is to click “Update All” or to “hide” the notification or click “show” and then kill the following popup with its red cross.  If I click “update all” I have no way to know what software it is just about to update before it is too late. For this reason I have to always click “hide” as this is a very arbitrary and dangerous thing to allow without knowing the consequences in advance.  The option to “Update All” should be removed from the free version in my opinion for this reason.  

I did click “update all” on one occasion and it updated my copy of VMWare 
Player and totally broke it (as it is a heavily customised version to allow the running of a MAC VM).  Took me 2 hours to reapply all the little patches required on the new version.  I was not happy I can tell you.  

Hello @smipx , 

Welcome again!

1. Read @Danila T.  guide Read before you create a new topic! & provide the information please?
  2. Even tho it’s targeted at “new ” topics, it actually applies when folks add replies to other’s topics, reporting same/similar issue. 
  3. Please make sure you include full screen images? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋 

Hi Flood,

Sometimes its not possible to include screen shots when something bad already happened.  This is an historical thing that happened to me and I have described it in the best detail I possibly can (without the ability to go back in time and repeat the same actions).  What is it that was not clear in my reply and observations?

I thought I was ultra clear:

• My version is KSC Free (any I am on W10 Pro 20H2 19042.867 Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0
  • My KSC Free version is 21.3.10.391 but this has been an issue for some time (from release 20 if I recall).
  • The “Software Updater” module is advertised and locked in “Free” KSC and is “meant” to be a feature for the paid version only. One cannot change the settings for it in the free version but still it can in certain scenarios go ahead and update all your software (that it deems out of date)  with an all or nothing approach and no clue as to what will be updated if you click “Update all” - (even Microsoft tell you what each of their updates is about to do before it does it but not this “Update All” feature in the Free version of KSC).
  • The software update popped up an advertorial telling me 2 pieces of software is out of date. I have 2 options. “Show” - which pops up a paywall screen for premium and an “Update All” option which proceeds to update the 2 pieces of software with no indication of what it is about to update.  After the update it tells me what has updated but by that point it is too late and the potential damage is already done.  The only option is to then use you own knowledge and knowhow to revert the software if it was an inappropriate update for your scenario. 
  • Even if you look in the reports and logs there is no indication of what KSC Free did in terms of analysis of your system and its results of its findings - I did look in the logs to see if there was any clue before I pressed “Update All”.

I appreciate it is not the same question precisely as the original poster but I wanted to demonstrate a reason why it would be good to know what software is updated in advance - especially in the free version in this case.  Like you always are….   I was trying to be helpful.

That’s it…..

Thanks

Paul

Hello @smipx, Paul,

Thank you for the information👌

No-one is questioning your motivation, everyone appreciates all helpful endeavours.

It’s not a matter of “clarity”, screen-prints allow us to see exactly what you see, very simple. 

All users of Kaspersky free software are limited by no access to TS, sometimes, depending on the intervention, experts engage, having screen-prints may facilitate that. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋 

Which are the software that can receive updates via Software Updater embedded in Kaspersky Security Cloud? I’ve noticed updating 7-zip, Signal and VLC but which other Software can get their updates via Software Updater? Thanks everyone for your answers!

Hello @Faccin0

Welcome!

We’re so sorry your topic has not been replied to, no idea how it was missed, but clearly it was😥

2. Is Kaspersky Security Cloud Premium or Free? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋 

Hello!
I thought I did put that information. Anyway, I’ve the paid version on windows 10 (AV and Windows with latest updates) and I think there is no difference whether the version is free or paid.

My question is quite simple: which app/software get the updates via the built in software updater?
I can’t find the list of supported programs.

• Solution

I think there is no difference whether the version is free or paid.

Hello @Faccin0

Thank you for replying!

1. There’s a lot of difference, Kaspersky Free software has no Technical Support. 
  2. There is no list, in the GUI & or the Reports. 
  3. Log a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, use the Feedback, I have a complaint template (there’s no Feedback, I have a question template), Support will require specific information, we suggest you provide it, it will help them help you; Support may request Logs, Traces & other data, they will guide you

• After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will communicate with you, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in your MyKaspersky account.
  • Please share the outcome with the Community when it’s available?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Resources:

About Software Updater

Here you go Flood.  With the free version this is.  Image 1 is the popup. Image 2 is what you get when you click “show”.  There is not any “show” on offer and no way to see what will be updated. Only option is to “Update All” blindly or “Skip all updates”, again, blindly.

Clicked on “Show”:

Hello Everyone, customer support has provided me a list of supported apps which you can check here: https://support.kaspersky.com/9327#block2

Hello @Faccin0

Thank you for the information & the link👍

Did Kaspersky say they were going to update the Home AV application/software documentation with the same information or do they expect the users of Kaspersky Home AV software to use Kaspersky Business Products support documentation? 

Kaspersky Business support documentation, doesn’t even have Kaspersky Security Center 10 → @Igor Kurzin → please engage? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Here you go Flood.  With the free version this is.  Image 1 is the popup. Image 2 is what you get when you click “show”.  There is not any “show” on offer and no way to see what will be updated. Only option is to “Update All” blindly or “Skip all updates”, again, blindly. 

Hello @smipx,

Thank you for posting back, the additional information & the images👌

The issue for you is simply because, using Kaspersky Free software, some features are only available with a full subscription license. 

Software updater is one feature that this applies to.  

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Hello @smipx,

Thank you for posting back, the additional information & the images👌

The issue for you is simply because, using Kaspersky Free software, some features are only available with a full subscription license. 

Software updater is one feature that this applies to.  

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

I did know that Flood.  My point is still valid.  I can still avail myself of the update but still not know what is going to be updated and that is still wrong!!

I did know that Flood.  My point is still valid.  I can still avail myself of the update but still not know what is going to be updated and that is still wrong!!

Hello @smipx
You’re most welcome!

No-one is saying you “point” is not “valid”; however, if Kaspersky makes their free software fully optioned, how does that work for them, as a viable business? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

I completely get that paid items are a good thing as it allows them to offer the free version.  What is not so clever is to “half offer” the feature by offering “Update All” so that the user is able and most likely to click it thinking they are doing the right thing without either:

1. Telling the user what will be updated so that they can decide if they want to go ahead
  2. Just don’t offer “update all” at all and give the popup advert and let people either pay for the feature or don’t pay for it and get no updates.

As it stands now the situation is potentially dangerous.

Hello Everyone, customer support has provided me a list of supported apps which you can check here: https://support.kaspersky.com/9327#block2

Hello @Faccin0

Thank you for the information & the link👍

Did Kaspersky say they were going to update the Home AV application/software documentation with the same information or do they expect the users of Kaspersky Home AV software to use Kaspersky Business Products support documentation? 

Kaspersky Business support documentation, doesn’t even have Kaspersky Security Center 10 → @Igor Kurzin → please engage? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Hello Flood,

no they didn’t say they are going to update the page soon, I do hope they will do it because the documentation provided is not complete. For example I don’t see Signal desktop as supported app when I did receive update via Kaspersky Software Updater for such app.

Hello Flood, no they didn’t say they are going to update the page ‘soon”. I do hope they will do it because the documentation provided is not complete. For example I don’t see Signal desktop as supported app when I did receive update via Kaspersky Software Updater for such app.

Hello @Faccin0

Thank you for posting back👌

1. There’s no point updating Kaspersky Security Center 10 / Business documentation for Kaspersky Home software.
  2. “soon”, is not the issue, did they say the would update it at all
  3. Is the INC still open

Please let us know?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Hello Flood, no they didn’t say they are going to update the page ‘soon”. I do hope they will do it because the documentation provided is not complete. For example I don’t see Signal desktop as supported app when I did receive update via Kaspersky Software Updater for such app.

Hello @Faccin0

Thank you for posting back👌

1. There’s no point updating Kaspersky Security Center 10 / Business documentation for Kaspersky Home software.
  2. “soon”, is not the issue, did they say the would update it at all
  3. Is the INC still open

Please let us know?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Hello Flood,

nope actually.

What I have is:

blablabla… a list of “Software Updater” supported programs is visible at the following link

<LINK>

this is it.

So, I’ve sent them another message to clarify this

Got the answer from the support and they have confirmed the only list of supported software is the one provided before and that list is constantly updated.

No specific lists for home products is available.