Software Updater Restarting Issues & Oracle VM VirtualBox

Codename K

Hello,

Software Updater in Kaspersky Total Security is one of the best feature which is really helpful. It's automated updates of the software applications saves time and makes things easier.

However, I did come across an issue with Oracle VM VirtualBox. When this tool is automatically updated, it restarts the computer without approval. This mean all your opened windows get closed. Furthermore, sometimes when Oracle VM VirtualBox is automatically updated, the virtual environments created in this tool does not open and shows an error. To fix this issue, you need to do a clean manual reinstallation of Oracle VM VirtualBox and add the virtual environments again.

This is in Windows 10.

Moreover, the last time Oracle VM VirtualBox was automatically updated by Kaspersky Total Security, I did not have the above-mentioned issue. But, it still restarts the computer without confirmation.

My assumption is that when Oracle VM VirtualBox gets automatically update, the Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack does not get updated. This could be a possible issue with virtual environments not opening.

The restarting needs to be suppressed.

• 1 month later...

Furthermore, when the Oracle VM VirtualBox was updated by Kaspersky Total Security to version 7 (see the attached image for the full version details), and you try to run a Virtual Machine, it is not running. Instead, you get an error message (see the next attached image). So you need to manually uninstall it, download the version 7, and re-install again in order to avoid this error message.

If you try to disable Oracle VM VirtualBox from Software Updater Exclusions list, it is not showing. I assume it only shows the applications that require an update. Is there a settings page where it lists all the programs that are under watch for updates, where we can disable the required applications from automatic updates?

VirtualBoxVersion70.png

VirtualBoxError1.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Codename K said:
  1. Is there a settings page where it lists all the programs that are under watch for updates, where we can disable the required applications from automatic updates?

Hello @Codename K

Thank you for posting back & the information!

While you're waiting for @Igor Kurzin to re-engage, to answer question (1) specifically, no, there's not a "Settings page or a list of all programs", like the Application manager list, the Software updater works differently, reference is: Viewing the list of application updates & the images below may assist - if the Software update determines an update is available - it offers options: UpdateDo not update this application & or Skip this update.

Note, we've noticed some applications are updated automatically, irrespective of the settings previously configured..

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.69161157b797cee378ef139ea6728921.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.238e67048255436b6421376276cd274d.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4b86996bde787e3aba219720633c5e6f.png

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife

16 hours ago, Igor Kurzin said:

It seems you have specific local environment issue. 

Did you do this while the Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack is installed?

The old version of Oracle VM VirtualBox is installed with the Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack. Now Kaspersky Total Security automatically updates it to the latest version without the extension pack. You open Oracle VM VirtualBox, and it asks to install the new extension pack specific to the new Oracle VM VirtualBox version, so you install it manually. After this, the error message appears when you run a Virtual Machine which requires the extension pack.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

This just happened to me as well. Not sure what my previous version was:

• Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: C:\Users\andyw\AppData\Local\Temp\it3zxba33u1zasju7ubwqbm0\lsrefqzks471p0sj19vv4rvs.msi. Client Process Id: 28756.
  • Starting session 0 - ‎2022‎-‎10‎-‎27T12:57:51.984095600Z.
  • Starting session 0 - ‎2022‎-‎10‎-‎27T12:57:53.947745200Z.
  • Product: Oracle VM VirtualBox 7.0.2 -- Installation completed successfully.
  • Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Oracle VM VirtualBox 7.0.2. Product Version: 7.0.2. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Oracle and/or its affiliates. Installation success or error status: 0.
  • Windows Installer requires a system restart. Product Name: Oracle VM VirtualBox 7.0.2. Product Version: 7.0.2. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Oracle and/or its affiliates. Type of System Restart: 1. Reason for Restart: 2.
  • The Windows Installer initiated a system restart to complete or continue the configuration of 'Oracle VM VirtualBox 7.0.2'.

I'm unaware of any extensions. One of my VM's may have had guest additions running. I specifically had windows update paused as I recently used my laptop to run live audio at a venue. This computer restart occurred regardless which leaves me to assume Kaspersky performed the update and restart.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, just created an account to point out that this exactly happened to me today during a Skype work meeting. The system started to restart and after reviewing the system logs it was due to an update on the Virtual Box:

Event ID: 1074

The process msiexec.exe has initiated the restart of computer ERIKM on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
 Reason Code: 0x80030002
 Shutdown Type: restart
 Comment: The Windows Installer initiated a system restart to complete or continue the configuration of 'Oracle VM VirtualBox 7.0.4'.

Kaspersky installed the latest VirtualBox

image.png.e87018ba12b8c6998973f4d2f237f1e2.png

The worst thing is that after that update I got this error when I try to run any of my virtual machines:

image.png.a84f76566ed33083950fcb95e4e916b3.png

I wil need to manually uninstall and install to have it working properly as @Codename K has pointed out.

Moreover, there is no option to exclude VBox from the settings...

image.png.24ef6dd2a1afa84adbaa1883d5b866b5.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Software Updater Restarting Issues & Oracle VM VirtualBox