Since last update (21.2.16.590) I cannot download files from internet, Web AV is the variable.

Hello, my issue came up with the latest update a few weeks ago of my Kaspersky Internet Security (21.2.16.590 patch A).

After extensive experimentation, I have found out that the module “Web Anti-Virus” is breaking my internet downloads.

With any browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge) but also with 3rd party file downloading software, whenever that module is on (I have tried changing any of its internal settings with no changes) this is what happens:

1. I can use the internet without issues;
  2. When I try to download a file (from anywhere, even Google Drive, or nVidia drivers, or any other website), it begins downloading
  3. After a few seconds, or minutes, the download gets interrupted. One note about this, on the downloading software it says it’s still downloading, the connection doesn’t get interrupted, but the data transfer is zero, and it stays that way forever.
  4. If I manually cancel the download and try again, it will stop on another point, before or after, really random.
  5. After many retries, maybe I can finally download the file, but with big files it’s impossible to achieve this. With small files under 300 MB it works.
  6. If I turn off the Firewall option, no changes.
  7. If I turn off the whole antivirus it works.
  8. if I turn off only the web anti-virus module, it starts to work properly.

Is there a way to fix this without losing the module entirely?

I’m on Windows 10 pro x64 fully updated.

Thank you,

Dave

I’m having EXACTLY same problem since upgrading to 21.2.16.590. 21.1.15.500 worked fine.

With smaller downloads (say up to 100-200MB) it’s not a problem - you can retry download at worst case and it will complete. Bul larger files will never complete, they randomly stop and hang at various percents and there’s no way to resume. You need to start over again and then it will hang at another point and so on.

Either web antivirus module or entire Kaspersky protection must be disabled for downloads to be successfull.

I also opened ticket INC000012194577.

Zbyszek

Hi,

Disabling “anti network attack” module does not help, it’s still the same problem. Also disabling Kaspersky Protection extension in browsers does not help.

Three browsers are affected (Chrome, “new” Edge, Firefox). I have not tried IE.

Downloads ‘out of browser scope’ are not affected - such as games from Steam, nVidia drivers from nVidia GeForce Experience etc. etc.

Only disabling WWW protection module (or entire Kaspersky protection) does help.

Thanks

Hello,

Exactly like Klosz007 said, disabling “anti network attack” does nothing.

One thing I am fairly sure about, is that the issue comes from downloads on port 80/443, because it is NOT related to the browser: even if I use the free software wget (to make a copy of a website) the issue is exactly the same.

Any other software like Steam doesn’t download from these ports, at least I don’t think so, and they work perfectly fine.

It sounds like something specifically related to ports 80 and 443, with bigger files.

I hope this helps investigating.. At the moment I have no time to fulfill the steps for the ticket to go through.

Thanks,

Dave

Hello @davelamorte  @klosz007 

Please see the topic to check whether this issue will be resolved or not?

Link

1. Disable KL product self-defense. You know how to disable it, right?
  2. Execute the command in command prompt with administrator privilige:
    sc stop klim6
    sc config klim6 start=disabled

3. Rename C:\windows\system32\drivers\klim6.sys as klim6.sys.bak.
  4. Reboot PC
  5. Enable KL product self-defense.
  6. Check this issue again. Please post back the result.

Regards.

Hi,

I tried it just now - still the same problem.

I’m trying to download 8GB Linux ISO file and there’s no chance of downloading more than around 300MB’s - all download attempts hang somewhere before 300MB mark.

When I want to revert this change, what should be start type for this service, system or auto ?

Support advice wasn’t very helpful - they asked to uninstall some ‘suspected’ programs - such as ASUS AI Suite III (doh...) or Primo (I’m assuming they meant Romex PrimoCache here) plus two more with generic names such as ‘Runtime’ or ‘Downloader’ so I do not even know what it is and how to uninstall it. Of course I was using these programs long before upgrading to latest KIS version, with no issues so I wouldn’t suspect them. I’m glad they haven’t asked to reinstall Windows ;-)

You guys having the same problem - have you reached 21.2.16.590 by upgrading from previous version, like me ?

My guess is that upgrade itself is the problem, something must have gone wrong on the way.

I uninstalled KIS 21.2.16.590 completely (with option to keep KIS settings unchecked, I just asked to leave license/activation data in place) and then installed KIS 21.2.16.590 afresh. Issue gone !

Try this and let me know if that helped you...

Hi,

I tried it just now - still the same problem.

I’m trying to download 8GB Linux ISO file and there’s no chance of downloading more than around 300MB’s - all download attempts hang somewhere before 300MB mark.

When I want to revert this change, what should be start type for this service, system or auto ?

Hello,

You should set start type as auto.

Regards.

Hmm... but if disabling kaspersky still not works then its not the kaspersky probelm.

Then what was the problem ? Disabling entire protection or just network module helped as a workaround. Reinstalling KIS completely resolved it for good. I see no other possible fault than KIS itself. Probably fault was not in the network filter driver.

is this problem still present ? my kaspersky is still at the version 21.1.15.500 (c) , thinking about download and install the 21.2.16.590 on top , but if this problem is still not fixed better i avoid it until a new version be realeased that fix it , thanks if someone can clarify to me the situation

is this problem still present ? my kaspersky is still at the version 21.1.15.500 (c) , thinking about download and install the 21.2.16.590 on top , but if this problem is still not fixed better i avoid it until a new version be realeased that fix it , thanks if someone can clarify to me the situation

Same problem and i am on 21.2.16.590.

As per my experience (described above), it does not seem to be ‘permanent’ problem with this new 21.2 version but rather silently failed upgrade from 21.1 version.

I upgraded from 21.1 to 21.2, experenced this issue, so uninstalled 21.2, then installed 21,2 again as ‘fresh’ installation (not upgrade from 21.1) and this problem went away.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have been experiencing this exact same problem since January of this year. Only recently have I discovered that it is not a problem exclusive to Kaspersky. Almost all anti-virus software I tried affects downloads this way now. I suspect that it is a problem with one of Windows 10’s updates early this year or late last year. The only solution is to uninstall the anti-virus software.