Should a person be concerned by programs that do not appear in task manager?

Go to solution Solved by Berny,

Over the years I've noticed that two general types of programs are often invisible in the task manager. Audio programs, including audio editing software, and the type of cryptocurrency programs called 'cryptonote'.

It is annoying when programs try to sneak around and lurk but is there some kind of security threat also in that annoying aspect of some programs?

Recently I used wavepad which is audio editing software, and it installed and ran fine, but it does not appear in task manager. That's an excellent program but why are they hiding, and what?

I have sysinternals the new process explorer and have not looked at that while any program that is not visible is running. I will open that next time I run wavepad.

Yes NCH Wavepad. I think I uploaded it to virustotal right after I noticed, a few weeks ago, and the version I got was the same as the version tested there, and clean.

Sometimes the programs that do that are visible in task manager, sometimes not, but the only programs I've ever seen do that are cryptonote wallets and audio software, and the only time I've seen it recently i.e., last few weeks, was wavepad.

My computer always has a task manager window open, and I pay some attention to it, which may be why I notice it and others seem not to.

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Berny said:

Did you visit the Microsoft Community, I don’t think Kaspersky is related to your issue.

The broader issue of quirks in a group of programs i.e., in types of programs would probably be a security issue rather than a technical issue, and Microsoft's focus is not on the security of its users.

On 8/22/2022 at 9:16 AM, Berny said:

@Tribal Cash

Please exit temporary Kaspersky , any better ?

Sorry to be a nuisance, but that raises another issue. When a commonly used program tells you to turn off your antivirus should that be cause for concern?

Open Video Downloader has a high confidence rating on Kaspersky but in order to work it asks a person to turn their antivirus off.

Kaspersky says this has been downloaded by thousands of its users. Do all users of this program turn off Kaspersky when they use the program?

youtubedownloader.png