Security Cloud Free with Windows Defender: Defender keeps running fully. Why?

dkaro
Go to solution Solved by Thoughts,

Hello

1. Windows 10 20H2 (19042.870)
  2. Security Cloud 21.3.10.391(a)
  3. I have just installed the free Security Cloud version and expected that windows defender will disable itself or at least some of its features that will be managed by Kaspersky. However, it looks like Defender keeps running fully which i’m not happy about because its probably waste of resources. Any idea why?

Thanks !

• Solution

What’s displayed is how it should be. Click on Virus & threat protection and it should say Kaspersky Security Cloud is turned on.

Below this you will either see Windows Defender Antivirus options (to enable or disable periodic scanning) or, if enabled, it will also display a selection of scanning options.

Defender’s real-time malware protection is completely switched off in either case. Windows Firewall remains fully active as Security Cloud Free does not include its own firewall. The other options (Account protection, App & browser control etc.) are all independent. 

If you have Windows Defender Periodic scanning enabled I’d switch it off. It’s overkill and forces Windows to download signature updates as often as it would if Defender was your primary AV.