Screen stays black after enter password

Slooti

I have Windows 10 and Kapersky Kids safe. On the kid-account, when we enter the password and hit enter, the screen goes black and we only see the mouse pointer. The only way is to hit ctrl-alt-delete, log off and log in again. How can we fix this?

Hello @Slooti,

Welcome!

Please tell me:

1. Win10 version & build? (select Windows 🔎 Search, type  winver   press enter, the popup will display the information)
  2. KSK license & version ?
  3. Has a KSK/system requirements check been done? 
  4. Is “after entering the password & pressing enter, the screen goes black”  a new problem or has always existed? 
  5. Have you deleted & recreated your son’s Windows profile & rechecked? 
  6. If a “dummy” child profile is created, at login, after entering the password & pressing enter, does the screen black ? 
  7. Has KSK been uninstalled & reinstalled

Please let me know?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hi Flood

Thanks for your quick reply.

1. Win10 version & build? (select Windows 🔎 Search, type  winver   press enter, the popup will display the information)
    1909 (Build 18363.628)
  2. KSK license & version ?
    Premium, 1.0.5.1360
  3. Has a KSK/system requirements check been done? 
    yes
  4. Is “after entering the password & pressing enter, the screen goes black”  a new problem or has always existed? 
    It is a new problem. It doesn’t happen with each login, only about each 2nd. It does not happen if I de-install KSK. It re-appears if I re-install KSK.
  5. Have you deleted & recreated your son’s Windows profile & rechecked? 
    yes.
  6. If a “dummy” child profile is created, at login, after entering the password & pressing enter, does the screen black ? 
    Not tested. What would be the difference between a real profile and a dummy profile?
  7. Has KSK been uninstalled & reinstalled
    yes.

Any idea?

best 

Slooti

Hello @Slooti,

You’re very welcome!

Thank you for replying, confirming the issue and the actions taken👌

1. Are any Windows Parental Control options configured/enabled?
  2. Has your son’s original KSK profile been deleted and a new KSK profile created and tested?
  3. Is there any other Kaspersky software installed? If “yes”, name, version & patch(x)
  4. KSK current versionpatch is 1.0.0.5.4848(d), your version is 1.0.5.13609(x)🤔
  5. It would be good to test the issue with the lastest version and patch please?
  6. Windows can retain residual profile information, a dummy profile would help to see if the issue is replicated🤔
  7. Has the issue ever been logged with Kaspersky Technical Support?

Please let me know?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

• 4 weeks later...

Hello @Cassius Dsouza 

Welcome!

Please tell me: 

1. Operating system version & build? (select Windows 🔎 Search, type  winver   press enter, the popup will display the information)
  2. KSK license (Free, Premium, Trial) ? & version ?
  4. Is  “after entering the password & pressing enter, the screen goes black”  a new problem or has always existed? 
  5. If a “dummy” child profile is created, at login, after entering the password & pressing enter, does the screen turn black ? 
  6. Are any Windows Parental Control options configured/enabled?
  7. Has your son’s original KSK profile been deleted and a new KSK profile created & the issue tested?
  8. Is there any other Kaspersky software installed? If “yes”, name, version & patch(x)
  9.  May I have a video of the issue please? 
  10. Has KSK been uninstalled & reinstalled?
  11. Has the issue ever been logged with Kaspersky Technical Support?

Please let me know?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

• 1 month later...

I am facing same issue, on login the black screen appears and the cursor is active, the screen remains blacked out I have to alt crl del sign out and sign in again, on second attempt the desltop appears and logs in successfully.

I have been dealing with the exact same issue for months for three different PCs, and now it’s getting worse as it’s not only happening to child’s account but also to my laptop/desktop’s initial startup. When it happens during PC startup, you face a black screen with a mouse cursor moving around, nothing else; unlike with the child’s account, you could apply the workaround by holding Ctrl+Alt+Del, signing out and back in in a second attempt; no, there is nothing you can do if it happens at PC startup other than forcing the PC down (by pressing and holding the power button) and reboot the PC. It happens more frequent on my desktop than on my two other laptops, to be precise.

Here are my KSK info on one of my laptops:

1. ​Operating system version & build? (select Windows  Search, type  winver   press enter, the popup will display the information)
    Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.778)
  2. KSK license (Free, Premium, Trial) ? & version ?
    Premium version 20.0.14.1085 (j)
    Yes
  4. Is  “after entering the password & pressing enter, the screen goes black”  a new problem or has always existed?
    Has always existed on three different PCs.
  5. If a “dummy” child profile is created, at login, after entering the password & pressing enter, does the screen turn black ? 
    I did created a "dummy" child profile on this laptop and the issue started right after KSK was installed.
  6. Are any Windows Parental Control options configured/enabled?
    No
  7. Has your son’s original KSK profile been deleted and a new KSK profile created & the issue tested? Both a laptop and desktop he's using have been re-imaged several times but the issue persists
  8. Is there any other Kaspersky software installed? If “yes”, name, version & patch(x)?
    No
  9. May I have a video of the issue please?
    I can send a picture I took when it happened this week.
  10. Has KSK been uninstalled & reinstalled?
    All three laptops / desktop have been re-imaged several times but the issue follows right after KSK is installed; that being said, there is no such issue without KSK, period.
  11. Has the issue ever been logged with Kaspersky Technical Support?
    ​Not yet

Hello @wang_yanhong,

Welcome!

Thank you for your comprehensive information👌

❓ Regarding Q2 & Q8, the information, KSK Premium version 20.0.14.1085(j), is indicative of Kaspersky AV software, not KSK (see my images), please post images of all installed Kaspersky application About screens

• ▶ Thank you for confirming the workaround proposed by @Mikhail Shakhov works for your child’s account but not for your account. 
  • ➡ Please log a case with Kaspersky Technical Support know, they’ll need a GSI  & Windows logs, the detailed history above, images and they may need KSK Traces, they will guide you if Traces are needed.
  • After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will communicate with you, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in your MyKaspersky account.
  • ➡ Please PM the INC# to @Mikhail Shakhov.

Please let us know what they advise, when the information is available?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Good day!

Let me share to you some details about this bug:

actually, this is the Microsoft bug, but MS does not confirm it and our developers have to re-develop blocking window feature, but it is very time-consuming. We are testing now the new blocking window feature and I hope, that it will be released in April-May.

The provided workaround must work for all Windows user accounts.

Please make sure, that you run a new task of explorer.exe.

1. Press ALT+CTL+DEL combination.
2. Open Task Manager => File => Run new task.
3. Type Explorer.exe and click OK.

Have a nice day.

• 2 weeks later...

Good day!

Let me share to you some details about this bug:

actually, this is the Microsoft bug, but MS does not confirm it and our developers have to re-develop blocking window feature, but it is very time-consuming. We are testing now the new blocking window feature and I hope, that it will be released in April-May.

The provided workaround must work for all Windows user accounts.

Please make sure, that you run a new task of explorer.exe.

1. Press ALT+CTL+DEL combination.
2. Open Task Manager => File => Run new task.
3. Type Explorer.exe and click OK.

Have a nice day.

Hello,

Just bought the product and also facing this same bug.

Your workaround works but it’s not really a good work around, i can’t tell my child to do this every time, she doesn’t know how.

Is there any idea when there will be a fix?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello @kkt 
Welcome!

• Patches are released in a staggered distribution, ordinarily, a yellow ⚠ triangle will show on the KSK icon, indicating a patch is ready to be applied.
  • To find which version & patch the installed KSK is:

On Windows Taskbar:

• Hover mouse over Kaspersky Safe Kids icon - tiny popup shows version & patch

On Windows Taskbar: 

• Right click KSK icon - select About - big popup window shows version & patch

For Windows: 

KSK version 1.0.5, patch d was released December 3, 2019.

Fixed some application errors. 

KSK version 1.0.5, patch e was released May 12, 2020

Improved the count of the application use time. Now only the time when the app is open in the foreground.
Combine the schedule of device use and device use limitations.
If an allowed web page contains images with unwanted content from another website, they will not be shown.
Improved the application interface.
Fixed some application issues.

Resources: 

How to find out which version of Kaspersky Safe Kids is installed on your device

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

• Finding release information is not standardised across Kaspersky home software, (imo) Kaspersky needs to better job at this.
  • For example, Kaspersky Password Manager, selecting About, Application Support, redirects to the Release notes repository, no such feature exists for Kaspersky Safe Kids and or Kaspersky AV software: KAV, KIS, KTS & Kaspersky Security Cloud. 

• 5 months later...

Are there any updates to fix this bug? It's extremely frustrating. 

Hello @NaplanA

Patch F for Kaspersky Safe Kids for Windows version 1.0.5 was released on August 21, 2020.

1. What patch is your KSK? 
  2. Has KSK been uninstalled & a clean install done?  IF “yes”, & if KSK is licensed, log a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, fill in the template as in image 2, include a GSI  & Windows Logs, images of the problem, a detailed history & the URL/link to this Community topic

• After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will communicate with you, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in your MyKaspersky account.
  • Please share the outcome with the Community when it’s available?
  • IF, you’ve done a clean install & KSK is not licensed, please post back?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I have the same issue. I have newly installed the latest version (with path F). The black screen issue persists. Please advise! thank you!  (I have the trial version of Kaspersky Safe Kids, so with the premium functions enabled).

According to the info in the bug - the issue at this step at MS side. So the case is related to OS.

As I understand when there will be news from MS - the fix should be included in the nearest patch for the product.

Workaround is known: launch Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) - start explorer manually.

Thank you!

According to the info in the bug - the issue at this step at MS side. So the case is related to OS.

As I understand when there will be news from MS - the fix shoul be included in the nearest patch for the product.

Workaround is known: launch Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) - start explorer manually.

• 1 month later...

Are you just kidding guys??? Over year since created and still no fix???

Making the MS guilty for this bug is just pathetic. You are the app for this OS, not reverse. And for over a year you cannot fix simply thing.

I’m using KTS for over 50 users and now bought KTS for my prv needs, but I faced the same issue. So as I see its high time to change security software.

Shame on you Kaspersky!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there.

same issue with both of my children’s notebooks.

Same situation: both, KIS and KSK installed, sign-out and sign-in sometimes works, starting explorer.exe manually works, but is not feasible for my children

KSK and KIS are on the latest version & patches, WIn10 is on 20H2 (Build 19042.746)

still no solution in sight?