Scanning really large files

So I know that AVs usually scan only up to a certain file size which AFAIK is a couple of MBs

But I have just downloaded a really large file (22GB) and the Real Time Protection didn’t detect anything, and afterwards I ran a Quick Scan too and it also came back clean

I wonder, since such downloads may usually contain malware, is there a file size limit as to when Kaspersky won’t scan the file or folder even if it (let’s assume) does contain malware?

I do have a sys img backup just in case, but still I wonder if there’s a limit to this? Also another problem is the sys img backup is stored on the external HDD connected to my laptop and I don’t wanna unplug it because that’s also where I store my data for my Plex server 

Hi @Studynx , 

Real time protection by default does not scan large files, as per the settings: 

As you can see you can remove the ‘Do not unpack large compound files’ and let real time protection check bigger files. This may affect overall system performance though.

Quick Scan does not scan all types of files by default. Or you mean Scan from Context Menu? 

For a test, I just ran a scan of ~30Gb archive. No issues scanning. You can scan bigger files, you only need enough free space on the disk to unpack and scan. 

What you can do to make sure that files inside the 22Gb file are scanned: 

Go to Settings → Interface → Notification settings → Scan → under ‘Informational’ part check to Save in local report all the events: ‘Object processed’, ‘Object skipped’, etc.

Go to Scan → Scan from context menu settings → Advanced settings → uncheck ‘iSwift’ and ‘iChecker’ technologies → Save.

Right click on the downloaded 22Gb file and choose to scan.

Then check the report for the status of the scan. 

Hi @Studynx , 

Real time protection by default does not scan large files, as per the settings: 

As you can see you can remove the ‘Do not unpack large compound files’ and let real time protection check bigger files. This may affect overall system performance though.

Quick Scan does not scan all types of files by default. Or you mean Scan from Context Menu? 

For a test, I just ran a scan of ~30Gb archive. No issues scanning. You can scan bigger files, you only need enough free space on the disk to unpack and scan. 

What you can do to make sure that files inside the 22Gb file are scanned: 

Go to Settings → Interface → Notification settings → Scan → under ‘Informational’ part check to Save in local report all the events: ‘Object processed’, ‘Object skipped’, etc.

Go to Scan → Scan from context menu settings → Advanced settings → uncheck ‘iSwift’ and ‘iChecker’ technologies → Save.

Right click on the downloaded 22Gb file and choose to scan.

Then check the report for the status of the scan. 

What if I run a game that’s 22GB (let’s assume) and since it’s too big, it wasn’t scanned by Kaspersky BUT (let’s assume) it does contain malware? Would Real Time Protection still kick on, or what would happen?