Restore files from backup copies - no selectable option available

geolman

I have a trial version of Security Cloud v21.3.xx which I am currently evaluating before purchasing. I use it to make three backup copies so far to a secondary local disk and the report shows no errors. But when I log in to view files for the restore, all I see “All data” option but no ability to select it, nothing happens when I click it.  Screenshot attached. The same happens when I change the backup date for all three copies. I know the password for backup is correct. So what is the proper way to select files for the restore? Thanks!

Oh, wow, I just attempted to open the backup folder from the windows explorer view and the Restore Utility now shows the window with a message:

There are too many files in the storage to display 

This is awful for a backup tool...The backup only includes all the usual user data. Folks from Kaspersky - any comments?

Hello @geolman

Welcome!

1. Please Read before you create a new topic! & provide the OS version & build & full KSC version information? 
  2. (your) first image has loaded fine, however, (your) second image (image 1 below), does not appear to have uploaded correctly, please share it again? 
  3. IF KSC Restore has been configured correctly, it should appear similar to (our) image 2 below:
  4. Were the files backed up On demand or Scheduled?

5. Which profile is being used to manage the Restore? 

6. With the Windows Explorer error message “too many files in the storage to display”, may we know how many files there are please & the size of the backups please?  

Please post back? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Resource:

Restoring data from a backup copy using Kaspersky Restore Utility

Hello,

I am running Windows 10 Pro, OS Build 19041.1415. Security Cloud version 21.3.10.391(g).

Re-attaching the screenshot with a message I described, it displayed via the Kaspersky Restore Utility window when opening Windows Explorer and then a backup folder.  The Kaspersky Security Cloud Restore window (that you demonstrated) does not give me that message. It only shows “All Data” check box with no option/response to select it, as per my first screenshot. 

I have only one profile to use or select from (unless I am missing the meaning of your question)

I am not sure how the backup could be improperly configured, since I have three error-free backup jobs in the history with zero errors reported. 

The first full backup reported 84495 files and 230.87 GB 

The last backup reported 2765 files and 20.74 GB 

Thanks for looking into this.

Hello @geolman

You’re most welcome!

Thank you for posting back & the information!

1. Were the files backed up On demand or Scheduled?

2. Was the Backup profile a Windows Standard, Local, Admin, Microsoft ? 

3. We’ve just done two tests Backup & Restore, On Demand & Scheduled, without any issues, however, we note you’re saving to a secondary local disk, so to make sure we’re replicating your steps correctly, we need to clear some space and, we’ll record the process, which is going to take some time, please wait for our next update; while you’re patiently waiting are you able please to run a test backup, small folder, with 3 or 4 files, then see if you’re able to restore that please? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

The backup job was created as Scheduled - Weekly, but the first job was triggered manually. Few selected folders were chosen as sources (documents, pictures, etc)

The user is a local Admin, if that's what you are asking, there is no domain, it's a home PC, if not, a screenshot of the intended question would be helpful. 

The test backup with just a few files to the same target location (F drive) worked just fine.

Thanks!

the test backup was a single target folder with files, the actual backup job contained multiple folders. That's about it. 

Hello @geolman

1. Ok, so you’ve established that the KSC Restore tool works for a single target folder with files, now repeat a restore with multiple folders, see if that also works please? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hello,

The requested test worked as supposed to. I created the same number of folders (7) and populated with similar data (docs, pictures, videos, music, favorites, other files), just with a small set each. Was able to view them after the backup and did a restore. 

So it seems to me that I am hitting some issue in the app with the size of data or number of files that triggers the message I described. Looks like its code logic, otherwise, where does such a message would come from? It appears as part of the Kaspersky Restore Utility app, not from the OS. I wonder now if there is an undocumented limit to the backup size with a trial version?

Hello,

The requested test worked as supposed to.

1. I wonder now if there is an undocumented limit to the backup size with a trial version?

Hello @geolman

1. As far as we understand the Premium Trial is identical to the Premium product, however, we’ll make an enquiry, please wait for further information.
  2. Additional, have you tried re-running any of the 3 original backups to see if the original issue persists? 

Please let us know? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

the 3 backups - are already identical 3 repeated jobs, covering the same folders, just on different dates.

• Trying to select restore from any of the 3 dates produces the same results. Thanks.

Hello @geolman
We logged a case with Kaspersky experts. A Kaspersky Supervisor advised: 

“There is no difference between Paid license Premium & Trial license; both come with all the features available in each application: KAV, KIS, KTS, KSC. The only difference is that the Trial license will be a short/time limited license to allow the user to try/test the application.

The Backup tool does not have *any* limit other than it should not exceed the available space on the internal & or external drive, wherever the backup is being saved to.”

So, just for clarification, you’ve re-run 3 backups: 

• 84495 files/230.87 GB 
  • 2765 files/20.74 GB 

& replicated the “There are too many files in the storage to display” error? 

1. Have you re-run the original backups since establishing that the KSC backup & restore software does actually work, i.e. since the 29th of December, 2021? 
  2. Which backup of the 3, is generating the “There are too many files in the storage to display” error? 

Please let us know? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

The schedule backups were run on a scheduled weekly basis:

• 84495 files/230.87 GB 
  • 91 files/20.30GB
  • 2765 files/20.74 GB 

All 3 backups show the identical result. It's either blank if viewed via Backup and Restore - Restore Files window or produces “Too many files...”  message if viewed via Windows Explorer- double click backup folder - which opens out Kaspersky Restore Utility. Screenshots from the second job is attached. 

I have not run another session yet for that selection. I can repeat but gives me little comfort since I can’t view or restore any previous ones. I guess one of my concerns here is to understand the reason for the error, as I need to trust my backup software. If it “just” starts working, I just don’t know when/why it could stop working again. I trust you can understand my concern here.

Thanks.

Hello @geolman

We do understand your concerns, however, since you logged the topic you’ve established the KSC Back & Restore tool does work. 

It’s now time to establish if the same error is replicated for the original backups when they are re-run, (ioo), it’s only necessary to re-run one, if the error occurs, you’ve established an ongoing issue. 

Please let us know the outcome? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

I re-run the backup, 36 files in 19.99 GB. It's exactly the same result as before, no files listed in the restore window, no option to check the All Data checkbox, the same message in the Restore utility. Thx.

Hello @geolman

Post images showing the results, in the same format as the last two images you posted 30th December, 2021, please? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

• 4 weeks later...

Hello geolman and Flood and Flood’s wife

Did you manage to solve this problem? I have exactly this problem with version 21.3.10.391 (g) for almost a year. I mention that I have this problem on two different workstations. The errors are in the attached pictures only in Romanian

Hello @Berny

Thanks for the reply. I also found there this specified problem to which the final answer was that the solution to the problem will appear in the next update. Here it seemed to me that it was more detailed. I've been waiting for the update that solves this problem for a long time.

• 3 months later...

Hi! I have the same problem.

Windows Version: Windows 10 Version 21H1 (Operating System Build 19043.1645)
Windows 10 Home Single Language
Kaspersky Total Security Version: 21.3.10.391 (i)

The files were backed up on demand, I don't remember the size of the backup, but I estimate it at approximately 120GB, without using encyption. The last backup was made in August 2021.

Today, when trying to verify the restoration of files by opening the "Backup" folder, opened a Kaspersky Restore Utility window and keep loading without displaying anything. I tried to run the backup again on demand and after 4 hours, an error occurred, and it was not even at 20%.

Since the backup wouldn't load, I decided to delete all backups and create separate backup jobs using encryption on backups.
The first backup consists of 4,294 folders, 31,633 files and a size of 3.10 GB. (28 minutes long)
The second backup consists of 4,301 folders, 47,162 files, and 12.60 GB. (44 minutes long)

After performing these two backups, I decided to check the restore. When opening the "Backup" folder, the Kaspersky Restore Utility window opens asking for the password, I enter the password and loads the information of the first backup as shown in image 1.

Image 1

Image 1

As there is more than one backup task, through image 2, it is possible to select which backup job I want to restore, I selected the other option and displayed the message "Please wait... Loading information about backup copies", and the error message mentioned as in image 3 appeared.

Image 2

Image 2

03.PNG.76ffce85eafe5a1b38ddbe1a6fb57f3f.PNG

Image 3

The software language is in Portuguese.