Recent Update to Kaspersky results in Hotspot Shield not working

Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

Hi

I can no longer use my VPN - Hotspot Shield while Kaspersky is running. I have added the Program Files folder to the Kaspersky Exclusion List; but still am encountering a "Cannot connect" issue. Incidentally; I also had issues with Kaspersky and JDownloader; which somehow resolved itself once I uninstalled/reinstalled Jdownloader.

I am up to date with my Kaspersky updates. I would feel much safer if my VPN worked alongside my Kaspersky; as my subscription is active for 1 more year. Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Solution

Hello @allthebestdreams

Welcome back!

• ?️Which KTS version & patch(x) x = letter, on the Windows Taskbar or hidden icons, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select About
  • ?️Which Windows version & build
  • In the KTS Reports, are there any events logged that reflect the "Cannot connect" issue for the HS-shield or any other app that's been impacted with the same issue? 

@Igor Kurzin has a fix that may help, but, the path may change depending on which version of KTS is installed

1. Disable Self-Defense via Settings -> General.
  2. Exit Kaspersky product, on the Windows Taskbar or hidden icons, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select Exit. 
  3. Go to folder C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP21.3\, rename the folder Report to Report1.  
  4. Shutdown machine using Shutdown, not Restart, power on the machine by pressing the power button, login. Start KTS.
  5. Enable Self-Defense.
  6. Re-check original issue?
  7. Please let us know the outcome? 
  8. IF the issue persists, log a request with Kaspersky Support, select either Chat or Email, fill in Application malfunction, Other template; Support may request Logs, Traces & other data, they will guide you. 
  • When Support provide a solution, please share it with the Community? 

Thank you?

Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife

On 6/1/2022 at 10:20 AM, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @allthebestdreams

Welcome back!

• ?️Which KTS version & patch(x) x = letter, on the Windows Taskbar or hidden icons, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select About
  • In the KTS Reports, are there any events logged that reflect the "Cannot connect" issue for the HS-shield or any other app that's been impacted with the same issue? 

@Igor Kurzin has a fix that may help, but, the path may change depending on which version of KTS is installed

2. Exit Kaspersky product, on the Windows Taskbar or hidden icons, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select Exit. 
  3. Go to folder C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP21.3\, rename the folder Report to Report1.  
  4. Shutdown machine using Shutdown, not Restart, power on the machine by pressing the power button, login. Start KTS.
  5. Enable Self-Defense.
  8. IF the issue persists, log a request with Kaspersky Support, select either Chat or Email, fill in Application malfunction, Other template; Support may request Logs, Traces & other data, they will guide you. 

Thank you?

Flood?+?

On 6/1/2022 at 10:20 AM, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @allthebestdreams

Welcome back!

5. Enable Self-Defense.

Thank you?

Flood?+?

1) Kaspersky Total Security 21.3.10.391 (i)

2) Windows 10 Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1706)

3) I ran a Quick Scan but wasn't prompted with anything. I did have an issue with Jdownloader not working too at the same exact time, but I was somehow able to fix that issue by uninstalling and reinstalling Jdownloder.

I tried to find a folder named "Report" in the Kaspersky program files folder, but couldn't find anything. I've taken a screenshot of all the folders in the Kaspersky folder.

Thanks in advance!

kisss.JPG

Edit - found it, by default it's a hidden folder. But when I try to change the Report folder name - It says I require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this folder. I am doing this with administrator rights, so I'm a bit lost here. I am now trying to navigate myself through permissions, which is a brand new beast.

Edited by allthebestdreams

35 minutes ago, allthebestdreams said:

Edit - found it, by default it's a hidden folder. But when I try to change the Report folder name - It says I require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this folder. I am doing this with administrator rights, so I'm a bit lost here. I am now trying to navigate myself through permissions, which is a brand new beast.

Hello, @allthebestdreams

You should disable product self-defense function first in KL product settings.

Regards.

Thank you all so much! Thanks Wesley; I was able to rename the report folder, and have now re-activated self-defense.

Following Flood/Igor's solution froms tart to finish -

I am pleasantly able to report that I can now run Kaspersky, with Hotspot running! A bonus is I'm also able to use Jdownloader without any interference as well.

Tremendous help here! I never would have figured that out by myself.

Cheers

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, allthebestdreams said:

Following Flood/Igor's solution from start to finish - I am pleasantly able to report that I can now run Kaspersky, with Hotspot running! A bonus is I'm also able to use Jdownloader without any interference as well. Tremendous help here! I never would have figured that out by myself.

Hello @allthebestdreams

Thank you for posting back & the information?!

We're delighted to read you've solved the issue?‍♂️

Cheers

Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife