Protection from being infected when a USB Memory Stick Flash Drive containing malware is plugged in.

5 hours ago, nickdirect said:

Does the Windows version of Kaspersky Internet Security completely protect a PC from being infected when a USB drive containing malware is plugged in?

Hello @nickdirect

Welcome!

No, not unless the Removable drive scan feature is enabled & Detailed scan is selected. 

Note: the Detailed scan does not scan password protected archives on USB drives. 

Thankyou?

Flood?+?

I already have Removable Drive Scan enabled. Does this mean that KIS will always prevent any malware automatically running when a USB stick is inserted? I don't have Detailed Scan on insertion selected, however I do scan after transferring files to check that no malware has been transferred to the PC.

1 hour ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @nickdirect

Thankyou for posting back!

1. Which option do you use? 

Thankyou?

Flood?+?

I have been using Quick Scan on the assumption that it would stop any malware on the USB stick from automatically executing, but not necessarily detect any malware present that would require manual intervention to run. Is this correct? (A full scan of the USB drive could take a long time, and it is quicker to scan files after they have been transferred to the PC).

Hello, @nickdirect

In default settings kaspersky is set scan removable media to quick scan, which scaning most possibly infected files (not all) but if you change to detailed scan it meant that kaspersky will deeply scan your usb media (all files).

Also if you copy files into destination and then you will be scanning files it is same like usb scanning.

In otherwords it doesn't matter when you do run scan (automatically or manually after copied files).. Still make you sure that you have kaspersky updated thats all. Kaspersky will protect you.

Hope i helped more understand..

• Like 2

Hello @nickdirect

Thankyou for posting back!

The documentation, which we provided in our first reply, states: 

Action when a removable drive is connected

Quick Scan. If you select this option, then after you connect an external device, Kaspersky Internet Security will only scan files with certain formats that are the most susceptible to infection and are located in the root folder. Also, Quick Scan does not include decompressing and scanning of archives.

Detailed Scan. If this check box is ticked, then after you connect an external device, Kaspersky Internet Security will scan all files located in every folder of the external device. Also, it decompresses and scans archives, except for the password protected ones.

Thankyou?

Flood?+?

Hi

I am aware of what the documentation states. My question was whether it is ever possible, when KIS is set to scan removable drives, for malware to automatically execute and infect a PC when a USB stick is inserted, i.e. is it ALWAYS save to plug in a USB drive even if you do not know what is on it?

Nick

It is Simple as i wrote when is protection enabled and databases updated kaspersky will block virus as soon as possible without infecting your files... So dont worry your files will be untouched kaspersky remove virus and your files will be there. For example if you got ransomware which blocking all locking your files and operating system... Kaspersky will create before a backup of your files and then remove virus and after that restore your files. 

Helpful? Or still not? 

Edited by nexon