Performance issue (Chrome up to 70%cpu) with Kaspersky Protection extension for Chrome browser running [Closed]

Midge
Go to solution Solved by Berny,

I've been having performance problems with Chrome recently. I can't really put a timescale on when it started (best guess around a week or so) as it showed up worse on some sites than others - originally leading me to think it was the sites I was accessing with the problem. Ebay seemed to be particularly bad when scrolling through lists of results - sticking and hanging. I switched to using Edge browser, and the problems immediately disappeared. When I ran up task manager whilst using Chrome, I was seeing Chrome eating up lots of CPU (as high as 70% sometimes) even when I'm just sat there with a web page up and not doing anything other than looking at it. So I disabled the Kaspersky Protection extension and as soon as I did so, the CPU dropped down to around 1-2%. Turn it back on and the CPU starts to climb again and the problems return. I've been running the last couple of days with the extension turned off, and had no problems at all during that period. Version is 19.0.0.1088 (e) running on Windows 10. Chrome is Version 73.0.3683.103 (Official Build) (64-bit). Any suggestions? Thanks!

Haven't done anything else yet Berny - but when I pull up the details for the extension from within Chrome, it shows the version as 20.0.543.401 as below. A quick search on the net suggests this dates from November 7th 2018. My wife's laptop on the other hand, has the 5.1.93.0 extension on it. Not sure why one machine would have updated and the other not.

• 1 year later...