Opera browsers support? [Not forum resolvable, therefore closed. :) ]

Opera GX is a new browser that is gaining more popularity among gamers. But it’s not supported by Kaspersky, not only the extensions, but also the secure network icon on all search results doesn’t appear.

How hard is it to support yet another chromium browser? Can’t be all that different…

I’m just curious if people who like both will use another browser or another antivirus...

Hello @David27

Welcome back!

• Correct, Opera is not supported, neither are many other popular browsers.
  • Kaspersky does advise other browsers may work but are not supported.
  • @Wesly.Zhang  has a hack that may work:

Rename the browser’s main program file name to chrome.exe

Check whether Kaspersky plugin works

Kaspersky injects relevant dlls based on the browser process name to establish communication with the browser.

unquote

• I use a combination of browsers for different reasons = personal choice.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hello @David27

Rename the browser’s main program file name to chrome.exe

Check whether Kaspersky plugin works

Kaspersky injects relevant dlls based on the browser process name to establish communication with the browser.

Flood🐳

Interesting…. Thanks.

@FLOOD If I change the program file to name to chrome.exe, what will happen when the browser updates itself? Will it cause errors or will it update normally?

Mine not updating, downloaded update and also created new file (i delete renamed file) and rename newest created file. This works.

I use this method, but there working only blocking ads, secure keyboard input not working, kaspersky password manager extension with browser not working for now.

To much of a hassle for something that should be supported. The question is, why isn’t it? I’ve seen threads complaining about Kaspersky and Opera going years back.

Because most of people use Google chrome and Firefox.

I understand you, i aslo want this but not for opera. With version 2019 i think was added support for Yandex browser.

As Berny wrote above this post better contact tech support and create ticket (request feature).

To much of a hassle for something that should be supported. The question is, why isn’t it? I’ve seen threads complaining about Kaspersky and Opera going years back.

Because most of people use Google chrome and Firefox.

That’s no excuse, few people use Firefox. Opera is chromium, just like Chrome and Edge, should be almost the same and very simple to ad support.

Also, what is Yandex? Never heard of it, but still, Opera doesn’t get support due to not being “famous” enough? 😅

Makes no sense.

Opera GX is new, more people will use it now. Even the Edge on that table is the old Edge,

How many people use it doesn’t change the fact that it’s chromium… and should be supported. The original Opera is an old known browser. My guess is after main Opera is supported, GX would be too.

@FLOOD If I change the program file to name to chrome.exe, what will happen when the browser updates itself? Will it cause errors or will it update normally?

@David27

As already stated @Wesly.Zhang ‘s “hack” may work:

• Opera is not supported by Kaspersky, neither is any software that has been modified outside of Kaspersky’s guidelines. 
  • If I was doing the “hack”, I’d copy the original, make the modification and test all associated issues, such as “what will happen when the browser updates itself? Will it cause errors or will it update normally? “
  • Kaspersky’s “line” [that they’ve always communicated to me, whenever I’ve had the futile conversation, with them, on why they don’t deviate from supporting the traditional browsers], goes something like: “Kaspersky supports major browsersGoogle Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer; Edge Legacy, Edge Chromium & Yandex. Support may be offered for other browsers, in the future, but, not atm.”
  • Why is it a futile conversation, bc, they never change the line. 
  • (imo) what may be making Kaspersky reluctant to support:

Opera  - inbuilt VPN

Brave - Tor technology.

• Regarding popularity: Usage share of web browsers, has comprehensive, reliable stats.
  • Maybe Kaspersky do make business decisions based on “popularity”, (imo), that wouldn’t be the primary or sole rationale. 
  • The “other” browsers conversation comes up periodically, outcome never changes🤐

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳