Miui Second space files deleted after Kapersky installation

dobmarton

I just bought a Kapersky safe kids premium account and installed it on my kids miui android phone.

He used a second space on the phone with my permission where he kept all his photos, 30Gb of photos. 

We tried to switch to the second space after installation, but instead of switching it created a new second space with all the previously stored data missing.

I must get those files back, they were the only copies of his landscape photos.
Could anyone help me out with some advice on how to save the seemingly deleted files from the phones drive?

I have programming experience (not android), but may be able to do some semi-advanced processes if that's needed.

Hello @dobmarton,

Welcome!

• ?With KSK, it's only possible to install using one user profile.
  • It's best if you contact Kaspersky Technical Support, select either Chat or Email, fill in: Installation issues, Any other installation error template; Support may request logs, traces & other data; they will guide you. 

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 

Thank you?

Flood?+?

Resource:

Get started on Android

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
  • Like 1

HI!

Thank you for your reply and the info.

I've written them and will let you know the outcome.

---

I understand the one profile policy now, but it wasn't clear that installing KSK would delete any existing data on the storage...That's a pretty aggressive protocol. At least an alert should popup calling attention to the danger that another profile was detected, proceding will delete all settings apps and files related to the second profile.

Then we could have backed up our files and continued the installation process.

The whole service is so well developed that I really didn't expect such a disaster to happen.

I will post the outcome.

• Like 1

Hello @dobmarton

You're most welcome!

Thank you for posting back. 

• Agreed, however, we don't know what's *actually* happened, without analysing the phone -> that's a job for Kaspersky Technical Support. 
  • Also, read Known issues, is your device listed? 

Thank you?

Flood?+?

• Like 1

Well I actually know that the storage space on the device shows the same amount more of free space as the missing data filled. The data is considered deleted by the phones system.  

The system is listed on the known issues page, but there is no information regarding second spaces, or second profiles on the page.

I received the following reply from KSK support:

> As this issue is not related to Kaspersky Safe Kids, it is advised that you contact the manufacturer of your child's cellphone to request assistance with recovery of the photo files, if possible

But that is not an acceptable reply due to the fact that 30Gb of data were deleted BECAUSE KSK was installed. Therefore it's not only related, but directly caused by the app.

So I am awaiting a further response from support. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dobmarton said:
  1. Well I actually know that the storage space on the device shows the same amount more of free space as the missing data filled. The data is considered deleted by the phones system.  
  2. Support response: "As this issue is not related to Kaspersky Safe Kids, it is advised that you contact the manufacturer of your child's cellphone to request assistance with recovery of the photo files, if possible."

Hello @dobmarton

Thank you for posting back & the information. 

1. When we wrote "we don't know what's *actually* happened, without analysing the phone", we literally meant exactly that, we were not in any way saying you did not know what had happened or what the outcome of installing KSK was.... But, here in the Community, it's not possible to receive data, or do any analysis of  the phone; all that must be done by Kaspersky Support.
  2. We're surprised that the KSK HQ experts have responded with that response. 

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 

Thank you?

Flood?+?

No problem, I understand the first point.

I hope I'll get a more helpful response from support and will post an update.

I received another email from "support":

Thank you for your emails.

Unfortunately, we cannot assist with the recovery of your son's photos. You will need to speak with a representative of the phone manufacturer.

We remain at your disposal.

Here is the complete thread of emails for anyone interested:

Hi!

I installed a mobile usage management software on my son’s phone.
After that, when he tried to access his second space, instead of switching, the system offered to create a new second space, and overwrote the existing one. Previous files are not available, and it indicates as much free space on his storage as the files previously occupied.

The problem is that there were 30Gb of photos on the partition.
- There was no backup.
- He used no cloud-based synchronization services.
- Only stored images on the phone disk.
---I KNOW:
- The data should have been stored elsewhere, but it wasn't

Is there a method or a person who could restore-save the overwritten data from the phone?
If anyone knows of this, please help!

-------------------------------------------------------

Dear Customer,

Thank you for the email.

As this issue is not related to Kaspersky Safe Kids, it is advised that you contact the manufacturer of your child's cellphone to request assistance with recovery of the photo files, if possible

Kind regards.

Natalia
Kaspersky Technical Support

Dear Natalia,

The "second space" or second user profile was deleted without any alert or warning.
30Gb of files were deleted by Kapersky safe kids when it was installed!

How is this not related to Kapersky kids?

Regards

Dear Natalia,

The files that were deleted cannot be recovered from anywhere else, they were only stored on the phone.
30Gb of photos.
We need to recover them somehow from the phone.
I did not buy and install a mobile usage management software to delete my son's photos...

How can you help me recover the data?

Awaiting your reply

Dear Mr. ***,

Thank you for your emails.

Unfortunately, we cannot assist with the recovery of your son's photos. You will need to speak with a representative of the phone manufacturer.

Kind regards.

Natalia
Kaspersky Technical Support

1 minute ago, dobmarton said:

I installed a mobile usage management software

I now see that when I copied my text from another forum post (phone system forum) I didn't modify it to KSK instead of "usage management system".

This may be an issue with my communications toward KSK support.
I'll try to clear this info with support, just to make sure they understand that the problem is due to KSK, not some other app or service

My last try with support, and the reply below:

Dear Natalia,

After reading my initial email I noticed that I wrote "I installed a mobile usage management software" instead of stating that it was KSK.

This was because I first wrote my query to the phone manufacturer's forum and didn't want to name Kaspersky.

So I'm writing to make sure that you understand, that the second space and 30Gb data were deleted when I installed KSK.

The tone of your replies makes me feel like you may not understand that the data loss is due to installing Kaspersky and nothing else.

I even checked on this known issues page and found no mention of this problem.

To tell you the truth, I was so appreciative of the quality of your interface, and the whole process that I really didn't expect such a tragic event to happen totally unexpectedly.

I'd really like to get some more help because this is not something that I can simply accept. 

Awaiting your true support

------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your email.

We fully understand the situation, but there is nothing we can do to help you with the recovery of your son's photos. It is an issue with the phone itself, not our product or its installation.

You need to contact the manufacturer of the phone to see if there is any possibility of recovering the photos within the phone.

Kind regards.

Natalia
Kaspersky Technical Support.

Hello @dobmarton

Thank you for the update!

IF you've not already done so, tell support:

1. The name of the phone manufacturer, example: HUAWEI, Meizu, Oppo, Samsung, Google, XIAOMI etc?   **This information is actually very important**
  2. The phone OS version, build & MIUI release?  **This information is actually very important**
  3. Do support have a clear understanding of what 2nd space actually is? This information is critical.
  4. Has  support asked for **any** data? **This information is actually very important**
  5. IF KSK caused the data loss clearly a conclusion could be made that there's an issue with KSK; however, you need to establish if that is what has actually happened & to do that you need the assistance of Kaspersky support.
  6. IF your goal is to prove KSK is responsible, it's easy enough to test.... (ioo). 

Thank you?

Flood?+?

• Like 1

Hi,

That's really a weird situation. I'm very sorry for your kid's photos. I also own a Xiaomi phone with KSK. I only use it with one space. So far, I haven't had any issue with Kaspersky Safe Kids. I use it on my phone to monitor my daughter's phone. I'm surprised by the answers Kasperky support gave you. I hope you could recover these photos.

Personally, I save all my photos on my cloud storage.