Missing context menu search

GuiRitter

Hi everyone.

Quite a few months ago the option to scan files disappeard from the context menu. I reinstalled Kaspersky and it came back. Then it happened again. I reinstalled Kaspersky and it came back again. I think it happened a few more times. Then it happened again but I didn't feel like reinstalling Kaspersky.

Today I felt like fixing it and reinstalled Kaspersky. However, the option to scan files from the context menu didn't came back. I searched and found that I could try restoring the settings to the defaults. I tried that, restarted Windows and nothing changed.

One weird thing that changed after reinstalling is that, if I right-click an empty space in a folder I do get a Kaspersky entry, but it's a folder and no further options appear if I select it.

Please help as not having this feature is something that makes me want to start using another AV.

Windows 11 Pro, version 22H2, compilation 22621.1413

Kaspersky Free version 21.9.6.465

Thanks in advance.

debug 0.png

debug 1.png

Edited by GuiRitter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/5/2023 at 4:02 PM, Mikhail Shakhov said:

Hello,

the problem must be fixed in this version.

please contact to technical support: https://support.kaspersky.com/us/b2c/us

Thank you.

Even in the current version this issue is present. I think I found the issue that's causing this. There is a bug in the uninstallation process of Kaspersky Free (even the current version) and Uninstall tool is no help (even when running in safe mode, probably because it doesn't support the newer versions after 2021).

These folders are still present inside windows: 

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Kaspersky.ShellEx_1.0.0.1_x64__xxx38dcbex2km

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository\Packages\Kaspersky.ShellEx_1.0.0.1_x64__xxx38dcbex2km

I can't delete them manually even in safe mode and uninstaller doesn't delete them either. How do I clean install that's the question.

Edited by brambedkar59

Never mind, I used LockHunter to delete both these folders and used this method with FRST to remove entry from Windows Security Center which was still present. Rebooted after each step and then installed Kaspersky Free again, rebooted and Context menu options are back.

A user shouldn't have to do all this at all. Uninstaller needs to be more precise and thorough while removing Kaspersky, let's just say right now it doesn't look good.

On 8/6/2023 at 7:54 PM, brambedkar59 said:

Never mind, I used LockHunter to delete both these folders and used this method with FRST to remove entry from Windows Security Center which was still present. Rebooted after each step and then installed Kaspersky Free again, rebooted and Context menu options are back.

A user shouldn't have to do all this at all. Uninstaller needs to be more precise and thorough while removing Kaspersky, let's just say right now it doesn't look good.

Hello,

It, seems, there were some Windows store applications. But the main problem is related to Total Force Upgrade feature(when the new version installs on the current one) - in some cases it goes wrong and mentioned above bug appears. It was fixed in MR14 version, but probably not for all scenarios...

It must not be reproduce, if you uninstall the old version using standard uninstaller or kavremover utility and install new version after reboot then. 

Edited by Mikhail Shakhov
  • Like 2

On 8/12/2023 at 11:16 AM, Mikhail Shakhov said:

Hello,

It, seems, there were some Windows store applications. But the main problem is related to Total Force Upgrade feature(when the new version installs on the current one) - in some cases it goes wrong and mentioned above bug appears. It was fixed in MR14 version, but probably not for all scenarios...

It must not be reproduce, if you uninstall the old version using standard uninstaller or kavremover utility and install new version after reboot then. 

Hello, I have tried uninstalling normally and using kavremover and rebooting and reinstalling the latest Kaspersky Free. However, I am still unable to get the context menu. Is there any fix for this?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The fix is not to update overwriting previous version -> uninstall and then clean install of the new versions, it seems the issues is only reproducible in W11.

I got it when overwrote 2 days ago 21.14 with 21.15 in my W11, yesterday just uninstalled 21.15 (previously saving my tweaks with Export setting), and then install again, and now K. context menus are back.

7 hours ago, harlan4096 said:

The fix is not to update overwriting previous version -> uninstall and then clean install of the new versions, it seems the issues is only reproducible in W11.

I got it when overwrote 2 days ago 21.14 with 21.15 in my W11, yesterday just uninstalled 21.15 (previously saving my tweaks with Export setting), and then install again, and now K. context menus are back.

I already did the clean install, it was fine for a few weeks and then same bug again. Mine never updated to 21.15, I am still on 21.14 since August.

• Like 1