Microsoft Outlook 2019 and Attachments, all attachments come with a weird extension_, .xls

azucena
Go to solution Solved by Igor Kurzin,

Attachment filter settings are not correctly set after upgrading help 

Hello @puujeee,

As we said in our last reply: Kaspersky Technical Support advise, they have completed the patch(b) rollout, however, for some countries, there are some remaining bugs, of which the known & acknowledged “Attachment filter settings are not correctly set after upgrading” is one. 

You may wish to log a case or you may wish to wait, until Kaspersky release a patched patch(b).

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is NOT at all acceptable!!

No warning, no ability to reverse the impact…. INCOMPETENCE!!! 

Not only are new email attachments renamed and appended with an _ replacing the last character of the file extension ALL previous attachments in the PST file have been altered.

I can’t use IMAP to redownload all my emails so the only option is to save the attachment, rename it and, only then, can I open it! Not only is it inconvenient and laborious it is impossible with hundreds/thousands of emails!!!

If Kaspersky can replace the file character in the file attachment name with an _ only a few lines of code will be needed to rename them back as they should be…. .PD_ to .PDF … .JP_ to .JPG …. .PN_ to .PNG … .DO_ to .DOC … etc. etc.

This is NOT at all acceptable!!

Not only are new email attachments renamed and appended with an _ replacing the last character of the file extension ALL previous attachments in the PST file have been altered.

I can’t use IMAP to redownload all my emails so the only option is to save the attachment, rename it and, only then, can I open it! Not only is it inconvenient and laborious it is impossible with hundreds/thousands of emails!!!

If Kaspersky can replace the file character in the file attachment name with an _ only a few lines of code will be needed to rename them back as they should be…. .PD_ to .PDF … .JP_ to .JPG …. .PN_ to .PNG … .DO_ to .DOC … etc. etc.

This is a disaster! I need an urgent fix for this problem. I have lost access to all my attachments.

I have thousand of emails. It is impossible to rename all the attachments.

You have lost me as a client. I will uninstall Kaspersky after this problem gets fixed.

This is a disaster! I need an urgent fix for this problem. I have lost access to all my attachments.

I have thousand of emails. It is impossible to rename all the attachments.

You have lost me as a client. I will install Kaspersky after this problem gets fixed.

If I uninstall Kapersky will this solve my problem?

This is NOT at all acceptable!! No warning, no ability to reverse the impact…. INCOMPETENCE!!! The only option is to save the attachment, rename it and, only then, can I open it! Not only is it inconvenient and laborious it is impossible with hundreds/thousands of emails!!!

This is a disaster! I need an urgent fix for this problem. I have lost access to all my attachments. I have thousand of emails. It is impossible to rename all the attachments. If I uninstall Kaspersky will this solve my problem?

Hello @george_ogden & @taniadelc

Welcome!

Correct, it is unacceptable. It is a disaster. 

If the document file extensions have been renamed, removing the Kaspersky software will not fix the problem

Regarding your questions, the following is the advice from @Igor Kurzin, thus far: 

• 15th December, 2020

Unfortunately, there is no automatic way for Kaspersky product to rename the attachments back. There are several other options though: 
1. Visit the email server via web browser and download the attachments from the server. As the attachments were modified upon download and can remain unchanged on the server. This option might not be available for all email services. 
2. Knowing the extensions (e.g. .pdf), you can rename them back manually after downloading the files, e.g.:   .pd_ -> .pdf

• 18th December 2020

Kaspersky product checks attachments when they are being downloaded. Depending on the mail program sync settings, in some situations only a preview of the email is downloaded, leaving the attachments of the emails on the remote server. As soon as you open the email to view the attachments and contents, the mail program downloads them and the Kaspersky product renames the attachments. The next thing that happens: Outlook syncs the changes with the server and the extensions get changed on the server as well.

We can only suggest you contact Kaspersky Technical Support & voice your outrage.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Not only are new email attachments renamed and appended with an _ replacing the last character of the file extension ALL previous attachments in the PST file have been altered.

Hello @george_ogden

Welcome!

Correct, it is unacceptable. It is a disaster. 

If the document file extensions have been renamed, removing the Kaspersky software will not fix the problem

Regarding your questions, the following is the advice from @Igor Kurzin, thus far: 

• 15th December, 2020

Unfortunately, there is no automatic way for Kaspersky product to rename the attachments back. There are several other options though: 
1. Visit the email server via web browser and download the attachments from the server. As the attachments were modified upon download and can remain unchanged on the server. This option might not be available for all email services. 
2. Knowing the extensions (e.g. .pdf), you can rename them back manually after downloading the files, e.g.:   .pd_ -> .pdf

• 18th December 2020

Kaspersky product checks attachments when they are being downloaded. Depending on the mail program sync settings, in some situations only a preview of the email is downloaded, leaving the attachments of the emails on the remote server. As soon as you open the email to view the attachments and contents, the mail program downloads them and the Kaspersky product renames the attachments. The next thing that happens: Outlook syncs the changes with the server and the extensions get changed on the server as well.

We can only suggest you contact Kaspersky Technical Support & voice your outrage.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Unfortunately, there is no automatic way for Kaspersky product to rename the attachments back. 

@Igor Kurzin

It would be a simple / trivial task for Kaspersky to provide a fix and release it to affected customers.

If Kaspersky can replace the last character of file extension of an email attachment  with an _ only a few lines of code will be needed to rename them back as they should be…. .PD_ to .PDF … .JP_ to .JPG …. .PN_ to .PNG … .DO_ to .DOC … etc. etc. 

This problem wasn’t the fault of the user, it was a problem created by Kaspersky and simply denying it can be fixed is a blatant lie!!

If a fix is not provided it will demonstrate just how little Kaspersky cares about it’s users.

Having been a user of Kaspersky for well over a decade and supporting over 50 others who use Kaspersky (many on my recommendation) I will be terminating my subscription and advise them to use an alternative!!!

@Igor Kurzin 

SOLVED!!! NOT AT ALL!!! I’m astounded by Kaspersky’s lack of interest in assisting its users fix this problem!!

Hello @george_ogden 
Welcome back!
Just to explain how a Community topic may have a Solved status, there are several ways:

1. The Topic creator may, at any stage, mark a reply (even their own) as Best answer, doing so will change the topic status to Solved
  2. A Community Moderator may select a reply as Best answer, that will change the topic status to Solved.
  3. A Kaspersky employee/Admin may select a reply as Best answer, that will change the topic status to Solved.

There are times when a Kaspersky employee will update/reply to a topic with advice similar to " x problem fixed in next release, Q2 / Q3 - 2021", then change the topic to Solved

(ioo), topics that have a Solved status, based on an event “yet to happen” & a future date, may be confusing & potentially misleading, if the fix does not work, & we all know that may happen, the issue is not solved. 

Specific to the bug “Attachment filter settings are not correctly set after upgrading”, there are some locations, where patch(b) did not work & is still being worked on by the Kaspersky experts. 

Specific to your topic, it was “merged” with an existing topic for the bug “Attachment filter settings are not correctly set after upgrading”, merging of topics is the responsibility of Community Moderators. 

There are times when Solved does not mean Solved.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

When will Kaspersky release a fix for users affected by this problem?

No warning, no ability to reverse the impact of Kaspersky’s INCOMPETENCE!!! 

Not only were newly received email attachments renamed and appended with an _ replacing the last character of the file extension ALL previous attachments in PST files have been altered.

The only option is to save the attachment, rename it and, only then, can it be opened Not only is it inconvenient and laborious it is impossible with hundreds/thousands of emails with attachments!!!

It would be a simple / trivial task for Kaspersky to provide a fix and release it to affected customers. If Kaspersky can replace the file attachment name with an _ only a few lines of code will be needed to rename them back as they should be…. .PD_ to .PDF … .JP_ to .JPG …. .PN_ to .PNG … .DO_ to .DOC … .DOC_ to .DOCX … etc. etc.

This problem wasn’t the fault of the user, it was a problem created by Kaspersky and simply denying it can be fixed is a blatant lie!!

If a fix is not provided it will demonstrate just how little Kaspersky cares about it’s users.

Having been a user of Kaspersky for well over a decade and supporting over 50 others who use Kaspersky (many on my recommendation) I will be terminating my subscription and advise them to use an alternative!!!

The less than helpful response received from Kaspersky “support” although there is, perhaps, a glimmer of hope……. (my text in parenthesis)

Dear (potentially ex) customer,

Greetings! (I’d respond with seasonal greetings but I’m NOT in a festive mood!!)

Hope this email finds you well (it does NOT!) and we are sorry (really??) for the inconvenience caused. (Then demonstrate your sorrow by providing a fix!!)

We have just received (Why has it taken so long?  As far as I can tell this has been an issue for over a month!!) an update from the experts (?) and this issue a known bug issue (at least  there’s an acknowledge of Kaspersky’s culpability!!) which the experts (?) are currently working on fixing it (Hallelujah!!) . At the moment there is no information on a solution to automatically rename the attachments back to their original state. (Just how long does it take Kaspersky’s “experts” to write a few simple lines of code?….. Oh yes, it needs to be tested of course - the “experts” wouldn’t want to release a fix with bugs would they?) 

We will update you once we hear from them. (In the meantime I’ll update Kaspersky regularly with the billable HOURS /DAYS/WEEKS I and my customers’ have lost!!)

We remain at your disposal. (Please don’t leave it too long…. else another disposal will be taking place as Kaspersky is uninstalled on 50+ PCs!!) 

Hakim || Technical Support Representative

To reply to this request, you can simply reply to this e-mail leaving the subject line unchanged.

Best regards,
Kaspersky Lab Technical Support

@Schulte (“Ideas Generator” huh? Then please suggest an idea for a fix!)

Dear all, 
If you face this issue, where Outlook email attachments are showing as blank icons and the file extension changes to underscores in the last character, for example:

".pdf" shows as ".pd_",
".docx” as ".doc_"”
".png" as ".pn_"

Email pictures included in HTML formats are also broken and the right-click properties all greyed out.

To fix this issue: 
1. Close Outlook. 
2. Open Kaspersky Internet Security (or Kaspersky Total Security)
3. Go to Protection (select on the left pane) -> Mail-Anti-Virus -> Advanced Settings -> make sure that only the dangerous extentions are selected: *.bat, *.сmd, *.com, *.exe, *.js, *.jse, *.msi, *.scr, *.vbe, *.vbs.
4. Open Outlook.

This solution fixes all new incoming email. Unfortunately past emails affected by this will not be changed - so to manually solve this: 
1. Right click on the file in the Outlook
2. Choose "Safe as"
3. In the "File name" field change the extention by replacing the "_" with the correct letter, e.g. ".pd_" -> ".pdf"
4. Press "Save" button. 
Now you can open the saved file in its saved location. 

The answer by @Katie_A  has been taken as the base for this answer, we added a few steps to it to make it complete.

This solution fixes all new incoming email. Unfortunately past emails affected by this will not be changed - so to manually solve this: 

Your “answer” is NOT a solution I and many others are faced with thousands of email attachments no longer accessible. 😫

The question remains…..

😡😡😡

Your “answer” is NOT a solution I and many others are faced with thousands of email attachments no longer accessible. 😫

The question remains…..

😡😡😡

Hello,

Fix was released. The problem will not reproduce with new users. For those who have already encountered with this problem, the solution was posted above.

GOOD GOD!!! DON’T YOU GET IT???

What has been posted above is NOT an acceptable solution!

If I only had to use the proposed solution for email over the 2 days following the rouge update then I could, probably, live with that …. BUT NOT FOR EVERY EMAIL RECEIVED IN THE PAST!! Thousands of attachments!!!

Kaspersky caused the problem it MUST respond with a fix to revert the file name extensions of emails received previously….

I would agree with George.  I have already passed on the information about what has happened to the University IT department because they currently have a site wide Kapersky licence.  Thankfully we did not see the problem as we use a different product and the attachment rename feature is active with suitable defaults.  However Kaperskys quality control for product updates and its ability to deal with problems means that I no longer feel it is a suitable product for the University to use.

I would agree with George.  I have already passed on the information about what has happened to the University IT department because they currently have a site wide Kapersky licence.  Thankfully we did not see the problem as we use a different product (please tell me which product?)  and the attachment rename feature is active with suitable defaults.  However Kaperskys quality control for product updates and its ability to deal with problems means that I no longer feel it is a suitable product for the University to use. (ME TOO!!)

@NigDig …. Thank you for your support!!