Microsoft Outlook 2019 and Attachments, all attachments come with a weird extension_, .xls

azucena
Go to solution Solved by Igor Kurzin,

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve exact same problem with Outlook. Displaying excel attachments as xls_ and png as pn_ etc.

Here’s my Kaspersky version; 21.12.16.590(b). Looks like this is the updated one but i still have issue.

Hello @Perilogic

1. Log a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, follow the template, except fill in your Kaspersky software: include a detailed history, images & or video if relevant; the URL for this Community topic, Support may request a Traces & other data

2. After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will communicate with you, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in your MyKaspersky account.

Please let us know the outcome when it’s available? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

I have the same issue, too. pdf files have become pd_, and I cannot open them anymore at the outlook app or website. How can this happen? Kaspersky total security version is 21.2.16.590(b)

edit: I just noticed that a lot of attachments have been altered as xl_ jp_ pn_. I hope Kaspersky can fix the ones which are 'already' changed because this is a major flaw. 

I have the same issue, too. pdf files have become pd_, and I cannot open them anymore at the outlook app or website. How can this happen? Kaspersky total security version is 21.2.16.590(b)

edit: I just noticed that a lot of attachments have been altered as xl_ jp_ pn_. I hope Kaspersky can fixe the ones which are 'already' changed because this is a major flaw. 

Hello @gannicus,

Welcome!

According to @Igor Kurzin: in topic raised by @Katie_A  Outlook email attachments with underscore extensions (.pdf for example as ."pd_")

Unfortunately, there is no automatic way for Kaspersky product to rename the attachments back. There are several other options though: 
1. Visit the email server via web browser and download the attachments from the server. As the attachments were modified upon download and can remain unchanged on the server. This option might not be available for all email services. 
2. Knowing the extentions (e.g. .pdf), you can rename them back manually after downloading the files, e.g.: 
.pd_ -> .pdf

unquote

1. Log a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, follow the template: include a detailed history, images & or video if relevant; the URL for this Community topic, Support may request a Traces & other data

2. After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will communicate with you, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in your MyKaspersky account.

Also, check @Berny’s solution above, as a workaround, until Kaspersky Technical Support provide you with a solution. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

edit: I just noticed that a lot of attachments have been altered as xl_ jp_ pn_. I hope Kaspersky can fixe the ones which are 'already' changed because this is a major flaw. 

Hello @gannicus,

Welcome!

According to @Igor Kurzin: in topic raised by @Katie_A  Outlook email attachments with underscore extensions (.pdf for example as ."pd_")

Unfortunately, there is no automatic way for Kaspersky product to rename the attachments back. There are several other options though: 
1. Visit the email server via web browser and download the attachments from the server. As the attachments were modified upon download and can remain unchanged on the server. This option might not be available for all email services. 
2. Knowing the extentions (e.g. .pdf), you can rename them back manually after downloading the files, e.g.: 
.pd_ -> .pdf

unquote

1. Log a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, follow the template: include a detailed history, images & or video if relevant; the URL for this Community topic, Support may request a Traces & other data

Also, check @Berny’s solution above, as a workaround, until Kaspersky Technical Support provide you with a solution. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Thank you for your response. How is it possible that Kaspersky was able to change the extension of my email attachments which I received many years ago? I mean how is it possible that the extensions changed not only in Outlook 365 but also on the ‘outlook server’? Could you provide an explanation for this please?

Thank you for your response. How is it possible that Kaspersky was able to change the extension of my email attachments which I received many years ago? I mean how is it possible that the extensions changed not only in Outlook 365 but also on the ‘outlook server’? Could you provide an explanation for this please?

Hello @gannicus,

You’re most welcome☺ !

You must ask Kaspersky Technical experts to answer your questions, we, the Kaspersky Community do not have the answers.

When they tell you, please share the information, there’s been multiple people affected by this.

Also, if the original files have changed on the Outlook server(s), have you raised the issue with Microsoft Technical experts? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hello @gannicus,

You’re most welcome☺ !

You must Kaspersky Technical experts to answer your questions, we, the Kaspersky Community do not have the answers.

When they tell you, please share the information, there’s been multiple people affected by this?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

I will, thank you :)

@NigDig This Bug is fixed with Patch “B” and also in the upcoming MR3 version.

My colleague is at Kaspersky Internet security version 21.2.16.590 (b). I guess this means patch “B” is applied and “Mail antivirus” is still changing email attachment extensions in Mozilla Thunderbird. I had to manually disable it for all “safe” file types.

Hi @gannicus , 

Kaspersky product checks attachments when they are being downloaded. Depending on the mail program sync settings, in some situations only a preview of the email is downloaded, leaving the attachments of the emails on the remote server. As soon as you open the email to view the attachments and contents, the mail program downloads them and the Kaspersky product renames the attachments. The next thing that happens: Outlook syncs the changes with the server and the extentions get changed on the server as well.

Regards,

Igor

Hi @gannicus , 

Kaspersky product checks attachments when they are being downloaded. Depending on the mail program sync settings, in some situations only a preview of the email is downloaded, leaving the attachments of the emails on the remote server. As soon as you open the email to view the attachments and contents, the mail program downloads them and the Kaspersky product renames the attachments. The next thing that happens: Outlook syncs the changes with the server and the extentions get changed on the server as well.

Regards,

Igor

Thank you for your explanation Igor. Yesterday I talked to a Microsoft Office online expert, and he told me that they cannot automatically change those files back to their original extension because it was Kaspersky that interfered with the outlook process and they need to solve this on their side. In any case, this is quite disappointing to hear because obviously the whole thing can be automatically reverted back to where it was, the same way it happened to begin with. Of course I can download the files and change the extension manually from .pd_ to .pdf etc, but when I deal with hundreds of files dating back as early as 2005, it becomes a ridiculous task. Anyway, I am waiting to hear whether Kaspersky support can come up with any other solution than what Igor suggested, and then I will decide if it still makes sense to keep on using Kaspersky products in the future.

Hello, we have the same problem, we have realized that outlook used to look for a word within the pdf and it showed you the emails with the attachments and now with the change of extension it does not find anything, it is a serious problem, they are emails from many years and when changing the extension, outlook no longer indexes the words that are inside the attached files.What solution do you propose? since it has been as a result of your update.

Hello @puujeee,

Thank you for the information👌

•  You have patch (a); v21.2.16.590 patch (b) has the fix.
  1. Run a manual Database update.
  2. Shutdown computer using Shutdown, not Restart, power on, login, start Kaspersky, recheck? 
  • Note: to apply the patch, you may have to do the shutdown computer using the Shutdown steps several times.
  • Note1: Patches are released in a staggered distribution, patches do not arrive in every county on the same day, if steps 1 & 2 do not work, please wait for the patch to arrive. 
  • Please let us know which Country you’re in, we’ll check if the patch has been released there🤔  

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Mongolia kaspersky internet security

Mongolia kaspersky internet security

Hello @puujeee

Mongolia kaspersky internet security” means what exactly? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Please let us know which Country you’re in, we’ll check if the patch has been released there:thinking:  Mongolia

kaspersky total uses kaspersky internet security, not total security

KTS patch(b)

Hello @puujeee,

Kaspersky Technical Support advise, they have completed the patch(b) rollout, however, for some countries, there are some remaining bugs, of which the known & acknowledged “Attachment filter settings are not correctly set after upgrading” is one. 

You may wish to log a case or you may wish to wait, until Kaspersky release a patched patch(b).

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋