Microsoft Outlook 2019 and Attachments, all attachments come with a weird extension_, .xls

azucena
Go to solution Solved by Igor Kurzin,

Hello, I recently installed Kaspersky Antivirus in 6 computers at the office. Two are presenting some issues I have not seen before.

The biggest problems is that in one computer with Microsoft Outlook 2019, all of a sudden all attachments come with a weird extension and it doesnt allow to preview the attachment nor to open it with the pertaining program. For example, excel attachments normally come with a .xls extension, however it is now displaying as .xls_ and you cannot open it or anything. PDFs are also coming with .pd_   I have tried searching online for thsi error but i cannot find it anywhere, and the only change made to the computer was the Kaspersky installation. I even tried deleting the email account and reinstalling it in case it was something relating to outlook and the file being correupted, however the problem persists. 

I could you can assist

Azucena

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do i get a reply from Support?

Hello @azucena

• For any problem, if you need or wish for Kaspersky Technical Support to assist, log a request in your MyKaspersky account, follow the template image as a guide
  • Include as much information as possible, reports if available, images & or a video - if they help show the problem & the URL/link to this Community topic

• After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will communicate with you, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in your MyKaspersky account.
  • When feedback is available from the Technical team, it’s always appreciated if it’s shared with the Community. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @azucena, did you submit a ticket to technical support, if yes, can you share the incident number with me? 

By default the attachment filter should rename only the following extentions: *.bat, *.сmd, *.com, *.exe, *.js, *.jse, *.msi, *.scr, *.vbe, *.vbs

In some scenarios after upgrade from version 21.1 to version 21.2 the settings of the attachment filter do not switch to default configuration and some other extention types are enabled. We are investigating this inssue in frames of bug 4575990. 

To resolve the issue, please disable the renaming of all extentions, leaving the dangerous ones enabled: *.bat, *.сmd, *.com, *.exe, *.js, *.jse, *.msi, *.scr, *.vbe, *.vbs

Regards,
Igor

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Kaspersky Community,

I thought of sharing a solution to something that recently has hit a lot of users where Outlook email attachments are showing as blank icons and the file extension changes to underscores in the last character, for example:

“.pdf” shows as “.pd_”,

“.docx” as “.doc_”

“.png” as “.pn_”

Email pictures included in HTML formats are also broken and the right-click properties all greyed out.

Solution:

Close outlook. Open Kaspersky Internet Security > Go to Protection (left pane) > Mail-Anti-Virus > Advanced Settings > disable the renaming of all extentions, leaving the dangerous ones enabled: *.bat, *.сmd, *.com, *.exe, *.js, *.jse, *.msi, *.scr, *.vbe, *.vbs. Open Outlook.

This solution fixes all new incoming email. Unfortunately past emails affected by this will not be changed - so to manually solve this: show extensions > save attachment file type without the "_", then file properties and unblock.

The “rename attachments of selected types” option appears to have been introduced sometime between version 21.1.15.500 and 21.2.16.590 and the [removed by Moderator]  at Kapersky picked the wrong default option so by default it went through renaming all the attachments after the update.   It is possible that they have realised the problem because the PC that is still at 21.1.15.500 is not updating to a more recent version if I request an update.  Perhaps they should offer a fix that repairs the damage they have caused? 

Hi @NigDig , 

Unfortunately, there is no automatic way for Kaspersky product to rename the attachments back. There are several other options though: 
1. Visit the email server via web browser and download the attachments from the server. As the attachments were modified upon download and can remain unchanged on the server. This option might not be available for all email services. 
2. Knowing the extentions (e.g. .pdf), you can rename them back manually after downloading the files, e.g.: 
.pd_ -> .pdf

Regards,

Igor

The biggest problems is that in one computer with Microsoft Outlook 2019, all of a sudden all attachments come with a weird extension and it doesnt allow to preview the attachment nor to open it with the pertaining program. For example, excel attachments normally come with a .xls extension, however it is now displaying as .xls_ and you cannot open it or anything. PDFs are also coming with .pd_   I have tried searching online for thsi error but i cannot find it anywhere, and the only change made to the computer was the Kaspersky installation. I even tried deleting the email account and reinstalling it in case it was something relating to outlook and the file being correupted, however the problem persists. 

help 

Hello @puujeee,

Thank you for the information👌

•  You have patch (a); v21.2.16.590 patch (b) has the fix.
  1. Run a manual Database update.
  2. Shutdown computer using Shutdown, not Restart, power on, login, start Kaspersky, recheck? 
  • Note: to apply the patch, you may have to do the shutdown computer using the Shutdown steps several times.
  • Note1: Patches are released in a staggered distribution, patches do not arrive in every county on the same day, if steps 1 & 2 do not work, please wait for the patch to arrive. 
  • Please let us know which Country you’re in, we’ll check if the patch has been released there🤔  

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋