Make Safe Kids "time limits" usable

bene66

I'm using Safe Kids to block my son gaming on the SmartPhone to long each day. I've set a time limit of 4h a day - and the phone currently block at 4 a.m. in the night, because it was just "on". I want my son to keep the phone on, so he can phone and be phoned. But after 4h all application (exept phone, startscreen, ...) are blocked even he didn't use anyone of them. There are also some application I would allow him to use outside the limt (e.g. "learning vocabulary app") Can the allowence be switched from "Phone is 4h running" to "non blocked applications are used 4h"? In the current form is it not usable for us. Thank you (I've already placed a question in the german forum if this is configurable already. The answer was "no". See here: LINK)

• 3 months later...
I have the same problem. I set a time limit of 3h and even though he is not using his phone but the screen is 'on' on standby, KSK counts that timing as part of the 3h usage. Is there also any warning on the child's phone when the limit is about to be reached?

Hello Jer_mum, Welcome! To help we need to know some information please:
  1. (Parent) device type? version?
  2. (Child) device type? version?
  3. KSK free or licensed? version?
  4. Is the same KSK version installed on both devices?
----- Device type/version info - examples: Win 10, 1803, 1809, 1903, W7Sp1, Sp2... etc Android: 4.4, 7., 9... etc Mac - OS X 10.10 , 10.11, 10.12, 10.13. ----- Without knowing your specific situation, these are the general rules:
  1. Warn by daily usage. The app will show a notification when the allowed period of device use ends.
  2. Block by daily usage. The device will be blocked when the allowed period of the device use ends. Only calls will be available. Text messages will not be available. The child will be able to view the call log and use the list of contacts and the home screen.
  3. Warn by schedule. The app will show a notification when the allowed period of device use ends.
  4. Block by schedule. The device will be blocked when the allowed period of the device use ends. Only calls will be available. Text messages will not be available. The child will be able to view the call log and use the list of contacts and the home screen.
  1. Alerts are sent when a time setting is approaching and when time is up.
---- Please let us know? Many thanks.

Many thanks for your reply FLOOD I'm using Android Samsung S7 Edge and my son has a Samsung S10. I am on the free version but did a trial before for the Premium version and did not update him to the Premium version for his phone when i did the trial. He didn't get any alerts when it was approaching time up on the time setting for both versions, I'm wondering if I need to turn something on for that to happen. It only tells him when the time is up. Do you have any advice on the way KSK counts the time usage for the phone? if the screen is still switched on but the child is not using the phone, does it count towards the usage?

Hello Jer_mum, Thank you for replying and the information. It helps me a lot as I can replicate your sitauation and guide you exactly. Let me go thru all the time combinations and get back to you. :pray_tone3:. ===== Regarding KSK, can you tell me the version please?: example 1.21.0.1048 Regarding notifications, please check for me, how you've configured notifications:
  1. Statistics only. The device is never blocked, regardless of how much time the child uses it. No warnings are displayed to the child. You can view the device usage report, which has details on how much time and what applications the child has used.
  2. Show warnings to child. A few minutes before your child reaches the limit on device usage time, Kaspersky Safe Kids displays a notification to your child about the approaching break. Your child can heed the warning and leave the device or ignore the warning and continue using it.
  3. Block device. A few minutes before your child reaches the limit on device usage time, Kaspersky Safe Kids displays a notification to your child about the approaching break. When the time is up, Kaspersky Safe Kids does the following:
On your child's Android devices, Kaspersky Safe Kids blocks all apps except the Phone and Contacts apps. The child can make and receive phone calls on the device. The child can also use the apps which you have already added to the list of exclusions.
  1. Please let me know what settings you have?
IF KSK is not working on either device we may need to uninstall & reinstall, however please don't do that until we've nutted out the problem. If we do need to uninstall/reinstall, I'll provide steps:slight_smile:. ----
  1. ?compatibility requirements may be an issue with your son's device? can you tell me what the operating sytem is please:
  2. Go to Settings
  3. Scroll to bottom of screen
  4. Select About or About device
  1. Android version?
  2. Baseband version?
  3. Build number?
----- And, last chapter:wink:: There are two ways that you can limit device usage for your child:
  1. By hours per day. You can specify how much time your child can use a device. For example, no more than four hours on Monday or six hours on Sunday.
  2. By schedule. You can create a weekly schedule for your child's device and specify time intervals during which device use is forbidden. For example, you might forbid use of the device from 9 AM to 1 PM on weekdays.
?Device use by schedule only available in KSK premium version?. Please let me know? Thanks.

Thanks for your help FLOOD My version is 1.21.0.1048 Configured notification: Show warnings to child I'm okay for the limit to be just based on number of hours, he should be old enough to manage his schedule. He's in school from 6.45am to 4pm most days (sometimes till 7pm) anyway and the school keeps his phone in a locked cabinet during school hours. So schedule is not an issue. I will revert on compatibility when I see him tonight. Appreciate your help.

My son's phone 1. Android Version 9 2. Baseband: G973FXXU2ASF3 3. Build no: PPR1.180610.011.G973FXXU2ASF3
Hello Jer_mum Thanks for posting back and the info:pray_tone3:. I'll be back soon with a library of images:wink: May I ask - have you configured KSK (for your son) with the generic age settings ? Please let me know & if I could know his age that would help please? (I'm sure you know, different age groups have different permissions) Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
What we still miss, is the ability to have apps that are "always allowed" and that do not count on the timer at all. So if I allow my son to use spotify unlimited, the usage of spotify will not cost him time from his allowed 1h (non-spotify) time for that day. I hope I'm explaining this right. I know he will be able to go on using spotify after being blocked, but problem is that his time reserved for let's say "gaming" is then already gone using spotify..

What we still miss, is the ability to have apps that are "always allowed" and that do not count on the timer at all. If I allow my son to use spotify unlimited, the usage of spotify will not cost him time from his allowed 1h (non-spotify) time for that day. I hope I'm explaining this right. I know he will be able to go on using spotify after being blocked, but problem is that his time reserved for let's say "gaming" is then already gone using spotify..
Hello katrien, Welcome! An app can be allowed, to be used, outside of device use allowed time & or scheduled time. If the app available on blocked device, is used during the device use time & or device scheduled time, it will certainly it will be counted, but, it will not use up time, needed by other apps with time restrictions, unless, the child is ONLY using the app with the "all hours" access, during the "defined" time. If that's the case, this is not something that will be changed, as it's "user choice" controlled, rather than, something that Kaspersky can design for.
  1. Can you show me:
  1. Spotify configuration?
  2. "limited (Game) app" configuration?
  3. Device "Time Use" configuration?
  4. Device "Time Schedule" configuration?
Please post back? Thanks

I have the same request. I want to restrict time on apps like games but allow unlimited times on communications, since I want them to use the phone to stay in contact with friends, but not bury themselves in games all day long. I can see how on the My Kaspersky website to restrict, app by app for how many hours per day they can be used, which would be great if they only used one of them. But the problem is that if I set a time limit of 2 hours for Game 1, and 2 hours of Game 2, then they can play games for a total of 4 hours which is longer than I want. And if they have multiple games basically they can play games all day. What I really want to do is to set a time limit in hours per day for all apps except those I whitelist from that restriction. That way I can let the kids use, for example, snapchat and tictok as much as they want, since there are only a few apps that I want them to have unlimited use of. can I do that now, and if so, how?

I have the same request.
I want to restrict time on apps like games. Allow unlimited times on phone calls-communications - I want them to use the phone to stay in contact with friends. I can see how on the My Kaspersky website to restrict, app by app for how many hours per day they can be used, which would be great if they only used one of them. The problem is that, if I set a time limit of 2 hours for Game 1, and 2 hours of Game 2, then they can play games for a total of 4 hours which is longer than I want. And if they have multiple games, they can play games all day. What I want to do is to set a time limit in hours per day for all apps except those I whitelist from that restriction. That way, I can let the kids use, for example, snapchat and tictok as much as they want, since there are only a few apps that I want them to have unlimited use of. Can I do that now, and if so, how? Hello millervt Welcome! Please tell us:
  1. Child device operating system name? version? build?
  2. KSK version?
  3. KSK free or licensed?
Please post back? Thank you:pray_tone3: Note: All Kaspersky free software has (configuration) limitations, advertising & no Technical Support. If we know this information, we can ensure we never waste you time, advising you, for example: "contact Technical Support".

CD: android pie. PD: droid z, KSK (P) latest version
Hello millervt, Thanks for posting back.
  1. KSK 1.24.0.1566
  2. Android 9.
  3. Droid Z, from what I can ascertain, Droid Z was released 2016.
  1. Could you please go to (phone) Settings, select "About" or "About device" (generally at the very bottom of the list), look for Android version please?
Examples of (Android) version numbers: 4.4, 5.0 – 5.1.1, 7.0 – 7.1.2, 9. Please let me know? Thanks.

• 6 months later...

Same issue. Son has screen time say one hour wakes up in the morning and screen time exhausted. Something is using up screen time in the background. Sons is a redmi 6 Pro Android 9  and mine is apple iPhone 11.. All apps up to date. This happens all the time. 

Hello @Jerehada,

Welcome!

• Has the “screen time” ever worked correctly?
  • If “no”, the issue needs to be raised with Kaspersky Technical Support, they can investigate what (background process) may be using allocated “sceen time”; please include an AIDA64 Report, also the Support Team may request Traces, if Traces are needed they will provide a special Kaspersky Safe Kids version to capture data they can analyse. 

Follow the template to submit the request

• Also, in the MyKaspersky account, please download & include the 30day Summary Report, it will help the Support Team assist you with the issue

➡ Additionally, Kaspersky Safe Kids on Xiaomi devices has some functionality differences, as follows:

• A child can remove the Kaspersky Safe Kids application from a Xiaomi device using regular removal tools of the Xiaomi.
  • A child can turn on display of unwanted websites. 
  • Application Autostart on Xiaomi devices requires an additional configuration: to make Kaspersky Safe Kids start automatically: 
  1. Open  Xiaomi [Securityapplication.
  2. Go to [Manage apps] > [Permissions] > [Autostart].
  3. Click on three vertical dots (Settings) at the top right corner and select [show system apps].
  4. From the list of apps, select Kaspersky Safe Kids, toggle the Autostart switch ON.

Please let us know the advice from the Technical Team when it’s available? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

• 2 months later...

@bene66, @Jer_mum, @katrien, @millervt, @Jerehada

FYI: 

Update: according to the KSK version 1.0.5, patch e release notes:

• Combining the schedule of device use and device use limitations is now available in patch e.

Unquote. 

Note1: even tho the documented patch e release date is May 12th, 2020, @Mikhail Shakhov has advised “Patch E will be published soon: May 21st, 2020 (100% target delivery) “ .

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

• 2 weeks later...

So dissapointed: Combining the schedule of device use and device use limitations is still not possible. You still have to choose between blocking by schedule, or blocking by time limit … by enabling one option, you disable the other.