Mac OS catalina, Full scan looking at “details”, the scan hangs at 2, 948,000 files (finding no threats) and telling me it has 5 hrs to go. [Closed]

pqrstuv
Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

Mac OS catalina, KIS 20.0.0.829. I have 1, 336,000 files (according to  Disk Utility.app). This is the same number seen by SuperDuper backup app. When I run  full scan, looking at “details”, the scan hangs at 2, 948,000 files (finding no threats) and telling me it has 5 hrs to go. This makes no sense to me. Does it make sense to anyone else?

Hello  @pqrstuv,

Welcome!

Please confirm: 

1. KIS patch(x) ?   x=letter
  2. Has “scan hanging” issue always existed? If “new issue”, in the 24 hrs preceeding the issue, were there any: hardware, software, network, environmental changes, any changes at all ? 

Please let me know?

Thank you🙏

What to do if Kaspersky Internet Security 20 for Mac functions incorrectly

Kaspersky Internet Security 20 for Mac release notes

1. I have had Kaspersky for about 1.5 years, and through all versions of kaspersky and MacOS, this scan problem always existed. This is nothing new for me.
  1. I updated to Catalina this AM, then removed and downloaded Kaspersky fresh. I also updated the database before the scan.
  1. I just now updated the databases, restarted my computer. The drop-down menu from Help has no option “Kaspersky Security Cloud Support.”. The only options are KIS Help and KIS Support. The latter has the “a” after the version.
  1. Your res;ponse indicates the problem should be solved. I will rescan and see what happens.

Hello  @pqrstuv,

Thank you so much for posting back, confirming the patch, history & actions taken🙏 .

• Re “The drop-down menu from Help has no option “Kaspersky Security Cloud Support.”. The only options are KIS Help and KIS Support.

A Kaspersky Security Cloud *License*, installs Kaspersky Internet Security software on MAC & Android operating systems. 

• Regarding “Your response indicates the problem should be solved”, no, my response was seeking information, to enable me to guide you further. 

⚠ If, after the steps you've performed: (1) updated Catalina, (2) downloaded and install fresh copy of KIS, (3) updated DB, (4) confirmed system requirements, (5) confirmed software comptability checks & rechecked, the issue persists, please do contact Kaspersky Technical Support, they will request: full history, KIS Scan Report(s), MacOS Report&Logs & Traces

Note: data collection(s), as the issue is replicated, Technical Support will provide you with exact instructions for these procedures.

Please let us know the outcome?

Thank you

MacOS KIS Library

MacOS General articles

Thank you. The behavior is the same.  For example, after 15 mins of scan, 500,000 files were examined but the report said only 1% done (it should have been closer to about 35% or so). I let it run to 3, 470,000 files, supposedly 71% (nearly 3 times the actual number of files).

So the full scan is broken, as it always has been. In the past I have tried to collect the data required by security but have been unable to do so. For one thing, the files produced are massive, and the instructions are largely cryptic (to me), and no one seems to be able to answer questions simply and in actual English. 

It is obvious right from the start that the scan does not work properly. I should be able to trace the actions on just the first 500,000 files (for example) and send that, since it is obvious that the info supplied by KIS (1% done) is incorrect.

What I have now is a feeling that KIS may not be working correctly, and that there is no diagnostic which I (ME) can run successfully  and my computer is perhaps NOT protected. The scan would seem to be a very important part of the KIS system. I do not feel secure.

In the end, this is ridiculous. I shall be looking at alternative security programs.

• Solution

Hello @pqrstuv,

Thank you for posting back🙏

In the past I have tried to collect the data required by security...”

Suggests, you’ve previously contacted Technical Support & not had a satisfactory “response” & or resolution. 

...no one seems to be able to answer questions simply and in actual English

I cannot speak for any previous communications (you’ve had) with anyone regarding the ongoing issue. My native language is English, hopefully (for my sake), my communications are not too dreadful or unintelligible. 

It’s seems as tho you’ve had some dismal experiences.

Unfortunately, in this case, the team to assist you is Kaspersky Technical Support. Quite sincerely, if we here in the Community could resolve the issue, we most certainly would. 

Thank you.