Long delay from login to responsive desktop

Go to solution Solved by hydrasun,

Kaspersky Internet Security 20.0.14.1085(k) is causing a long delay between login and a responsive desktop. The delay is currently 3+ minutes.

Currently using Windows 10 Pro v2004. The delay problem was also present in the previous version of Windows (v1909?).

Some background

Win10 v2004 was clean installed. The initial time delay from login to a responsive desktop was just a few seconds. With each cold boot, the delay increases by a few seconds. The delay is currently 3m 23s.

Other

The time from cold boot to login is consistently a few seconds.

Windows| Power Options| System settings| Fast startup is disabled.

How I know Kaspersky is causing the problem

The delay is reduced to 8s when these three are disabled:

• Kaspersky| Settings| General| Autorun| Launch Kaspersky Internet Security at computer startup
  • Msconfig| Services| Service| Kaspersky Anti-Virus Service 20.0
  • Msconfig| Services| Service| Kaspersky Secure Connection Service 4.0

What Kaspersky setting can I change to suppress the delay?

How to get Kaspersky settings in readable English, so I can post it to this forum?

Hello @hydrasun,

Welcome!

For Kaspersky English GUI: 

1. Open Kaspersky, allow the software to fully load.
  2. Hold the Shift key & press F12
  3. To return to the original language →  hold the Shift key & press F5

Regarding long delay:

1. The Kaspersky Secure Connection Settings can be changed so Kaspersky Secure Connection at startup is not enabled. 
  2. With Secure Connection disabled & KIS auto-run & AV both set as per Kaspersky (not your mods) may we have a video of delay = 3m+
  3. Run a GSI & Windows Logs & post please?

Please post back?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Allow me a moment to clarify my loose terminology.

By “readable English” I meant “human readable”; my GUI is set to English. When I exported the KIS settings, I expected the .CFG to be a text file containing human readable key-value pairs. Examples of such files are INI, JSON, and XML. The .CFG is actually a text file containing lots of numbers, which is meaningless. I thought posting the settings would be helpful.

By “responsive desktop” I meant all startup apps are loaded, and any apps I launch from the Start menu runs immediately.

Videos captures

The videos were captured with a 15 year old camera. I apologize for the terrible resolution and quality, it was the best the camera could do. The videos may not play on some modern viewers due to the age of the codec. Windows Media Player will play the videos. Drag and drop from File Explorer into WMP, and double-click the video.

Video: KIS_off.MPG

This capture starts from boot. KIS is disabled. The delay from login to a responsive desktop to a running Powerpoint is short.

Video: KIS_on_1of2.MPG

This capture starts from login. Windows stays on the Welcome screen for a long time. The video is 2 minutes because that’s the maximum capacity of my ancient camera.

Video: KIS_on_2of2.MPG

This capture continues from the Welcome screen. After the Welcome screen, the startup apps load slowly. They are all loaded when Bitmeter 2 appears (the small window in the bottom-right corner.) Afterwards I tried to launch Powerpoint from the Start menu. Some time passes before Powerpoint appears. The desktop isn’t responsive until after Powerpoint is running; that’s well over 3 minutes.

Hello @hydrasun,

Thank you for the information, the data & the videos👌

Please do the following:
1    Create a System restore point.
   Export KIS Settings.
   Restore KIS Settings.
4    Shutdown device using full Shutdown, not Restart, power on, login → start KIS - make sure no other apps are active → 
   Run KIS Unused Data Cleaner -select ALL:
[a] Strongly recommended actions
Recommended actions
[c] Additional actions
[d] Accept the Reboot prompt, login  → start KIS - make sure no other apps are active → 
6    Run KIS Privacy Wizard - select ALL:
[a] Strongly recommended actions 
Recommended actions - EXCEPT delete Bookmarks for ANY browser.
[c] Additional actions - EXCEPT delete Bookmarks for Google Chrome.
[d] Accept the Reboot prompt, login → 
   Uninstall KIS, follow the documentation carefully, save  License information ONLY; at the completion of the uninstall, shutdown device using full Shutdown, not Restart, power on, login → 

Download and install new KIS, follow the documentation carefully; at the completion of the install, shutdown device using full Shutdown, not Restart, power on, login →

9    Recheck original issue, if it persists or repeats, log a request with Kaspersky Technical Support, follow the template below; include detailed history, including date W10 2004 was installed, all steps taken to test problem, all steps taken to test remedy problem, videos, because they’re large, you'll need to upload to any cloud storage and add the share link(s) to the request, a new GSI & Windows Logs

Please let us know the outcome?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hello @Flood. Thanks for the fast reply and suggestion.

KIS doesn’t have Unused Data Cleaner in the Tools screen. It has PC Cleaner. Is that the same thing?

There is no Privacy Wizard either. It has Privacy Cleaner. Is that the same thing?

See attached screen captures.

Hello @hydrasun,

You’re most welcome🙂 !

Regarding Unused Data Cleaner, our apologies, you’re correct, KIS does not have this option; PC Cleaner is not the same, however, it’s definitely worth running - please do so. 

Regarding the Privacy Wizard, the option name is Privacy Cleaner, however, when it runs, the GUI name is Privacy Cleaner Wizard, we shorten it to Privacy Wizard → trying to keep a balance in the documented steps so the information is there but it’s not an epic novel😲; however, we’ll certainly be alert to this, it won’t happen again.
Thank you for pointing out both issues  & seeking clarification🙏

Flood🐳

The uninstall & reinstall is complete. The delay is super short. The problem isn’t necessarily solved though. A few weeks of boots are required to determine whether the delay is increasing in duration. I’ve set my calendar to remind me to update this thread in two weeks.

Thanks @FLOOD 

Hello @hydrasun,

You’re most welcome☺ !

• Regarding “delay increasing in duration” and review time, that’s absolutely fine and expected, however, throughout the next 2 weeks, make note of all changes, all software added or removed, any mods & or tweaks at all →  the veracity of the test is to compare oranges with oranges… 
  • As a benchmark, may we have a new GSI & Windows Logs now please? 

Please post back?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

One week update

After the reinstall, I only did shutdowns for a few days. The delay held steady at 16s.

Afterwards I did a lot of restarts. I noticed the delay increasing a little bit each time. The delay is currently 40s.

Question: what’s KIS doing differently on restarts that’s causing the delay to increase? Sometimes the Wacom driver will popup 3 error dialog boxes, during the delay, complaining it can’t access (or run or something) some file. These errors also appeared before the KIS reinstall, when the delay was 3+ min. There were no errors when the delay was 16s.

One more issue

Shutdowns and restarts are consistently 45s. I feel that’s a long time. Not sure if KIS is the cause.

Hello @hydrasun,

Welcome back!

Thank you for the update👌

• Log a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, they’ll need a new GSI & Windows Logs, a detailed history, video(s), images, as there now appears additional questions, you need to clarify all of the issues in the request -  follow the Application malfunction template, see image

• After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will communicate with you, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in your MyKaspersky account.
  • Please let us know their advice when it’s available?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

I’m facing the same problem.

At first I thought it’s some kind of driver problem or system corrupted files, but finally I concluded that it’s from Kaspersky, I disabled the autorun and it runs so fast now. Definitely I’ll need the v21 that the op received from the tech support.

Hello @Alpert7,

Welcome!

If you need v21 please contact Technical Support. follow the instructions posted above on the 13th July 2020.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hi Flood, 

Thank you for your ultimately fast response!

Yes, I’ll reach out to support tomorrow morning. However I just noticed this is for Internet Security, mine’s Total Security. I hope they would provide me a similar solution.