"Less Than a Minute Left" ... Seriously?

I understand very well that a routine scan of a computer for malware can take many hours. That's to be expected.

This being the case, why does Kaspersky Standard running on Windows 10 say that the scan has 'less than a minute left' when the truth is that the scan is not nearly over and, in fact, has many hours to go"

Capture.PNG

Hello @Bukkdog,

as you noted, it is very difficult to accurately estimate scan duration. It is first extrapolated based on the speed of the scan of the first files. This is only an estimated value.

If during the scan files are detected that need more resources, their scan is delayed and pushed to the end of the scan. These are often archives and installation files, which in turn may contain packed objects. The time needed for unpacking cannot be determined in advance. Therefore, 0-98% often goes quite quickly, the rest then appears tough.

If there are no packed objects on a HD (even office files or PDFs are .zip archives) the indication of the remaining time is quite accurate.

• Like 3

I'm sorry, but you haven't answered my question. My question was not 'why does it take so long to scan a computer'?

I said: "I understand very well that a routine scan of a computer for malware can take many hours."

My question was: "... why does Kaspersky Standard running on Windows 10 say that the scan has less than a minute left when the truth is that the scan is not nearly over and, in fact, has many hours to go"?

14 horas atrás, Bukkdog disse:

I'm sorry, but you haven't answered my question. My question was not 'why does it take so long to scan a computer'?

I said: "I understand very well that a routine scan of a computer for malware can take many hours."

My question was: "... why does Kaspersky Standard running on Windows 10 say that the scan has less than a minute left when the truth is that the scan is not nearly over and, in fact, has many hours to go"?

It was answered by her already.
Even with the friend's explanation, I was always thinking, why does it mark that percentage (%) in fact Kaspersky should change it or show it in another way. like other antiviruses on the market, it counts differently more accurately.