KSCF updates practically lock up my system

JakobFel

KSCF Version: Kaspersky Security Cloud Free 21.3.10.391 (f)

Hi, the past couple weeks, I’ve noticed that database updates for KSCF tend to use so much hard drive activity that it practically locks everything up while it’s running the update. This never used to happen. I came to the forums to see if I could find a solution and thought I did with a thread that told me to uninstall any and all incompatbile software. This made the UI a lot more responsive and seemed to fix the update issue for a day or two.

Then, it returned. The UI is still a lot more responsive since I removed the incompatible software but the update issue using heavy amounts of disk activity is still very prevalent. I had to change the update interval from automatic to every 3 hours because it was getting so bad.

I’ve begun to wonder if, when running these updates, the disk is already at a heavy load and thus the updates are just failing and retrying over and over again. The reason I think this is because I notice that when I have long load times or when my system freezes on me, usually it shows KSCF running updates at 0% and a lot more often than every three hours.

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue? It’s really making me question whether I should continue using KSCF. I love the features but the performance impact is incredibly frustrating.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given.

Hi, thanks for responding. I already ran through the suggestions on that thread with no luck, unfortunately.

As for hardware specs, should I provide my DxDiag or just the basics?

And in terms of CHKDSK, I ran that not too long ago and it took more time than I can afford to take right now… I ran it overnight and it still wasn’t finished when I woke up.

Gotcha, here they are:

- CPU: AMD FX-8320 8-core (3.5GHz)
- RAM: 16GB (2x8GB)
- GPU: MSI GTX 980 (~4GB VRAM)

As for free disk space, I have two 2TB drives in my PC right now. The boot drive is a Toshiba, the default one I got when I purchased this PC (and it still seems to be running pretty well, with SMART checking out and no other issues outside of this one). It currently has about 185GB free.

The other drive is a used Seagate but it was in really good shape, being slightly faster overall than the boot drive when running speed checks despite saying it has more time logged via SMART. It has approximately 160GB free. I only use it for storing game data and some video files.

Overall, I try to keep my drives in the blue but my Seagate is temporarily in the red due to trying out a couple different games, but I usually keep both within the blue (preferably with 200+ GB free) as I was told that having reasonable amounts of free space can ensure that load times are a bit faster.

Also, I should say that my boot drive is reasonably fragmented but just like CHKDSK, running defragging (both via the built in Windows defragger and third party defraggers like Defraggler) takes far more time than I can afford to deal with right now so I usually just defragment individual games and files when necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

You solved?

It seemed to resolve itself randomly, oddly enough. I was in contact with Kaspersky support and they asked me to run some tests so they could try to figure out what was up but it stopped randomly. My guess is that it may have had something to do with the page file, my power went out the day that it stopped causing the problem and after that, not only did I seem to have more free space (which usually happens when the page file releases or whatever) but the issue just stopped. Time will tell if it’ll return at any point, though.