KIS v21.3.10.391 and Windows 10 - Problem with disabling some Windows notifications of scan completion?

snask
Go to solution Solved by Wesly.Zhang,

Windows 10 x64 Version 20H2 Build 19042.867
Kaspersky Internet Security v21.3.10.391

This is only a minor annoyance, but since I moved to the very latest KIS v21.3.10.391 I get Windows 10 notifications - both banner and action center - announcing scan completion for things like quick scan and vulnerability scan which seem (?) to be impossible to turn off without turning off ALL Kaspersky notifications.  This has only started with the latest KIS version as above.  I’ve attached a few screenshots, including one of the “Informational” notification section of KIS settings and I think I have turned off all potential causes of these notifications?  It does seem to be a small bug introduced into the latest version of KIS (or maybe Windows 10!).

Many thanks in advance for any advice that can be given here.

This bothered me too, but the Windows notification center getting cluttered needlessly for things like context menu scans without detections was not the worst issue. It turns out that the KIS interface’s (avpui.exe) CPU usage increases slightly because of handling those notifications that go through Windows notifications system, and it never goes down to normal levels until reboot. Same happens with other KIS notifications such as advertisement popups.

As for OP’s issue, the KIS settings/interface/notification settings simply needs to have those missing options (save in local report, notify on screen) added in “Scan”, in the “informational” section. As simple as that.

This bothered me too, but the Windows notification center getting cluttered for silly things like context menu scans was not the worst issue. It turns out that the KIS interface’s (avpui.exe) CPU usage increases slightly because of handling those notifications that go through Windows notifications system, and it never goes down to normal levels until reboot. Same happens with other KIS notifications such as advertisement popups.

As for OP’s issue, the KIS settings/interface/notification settings simply needs to have those missing options (save in local report, notify on screen) added in “Scan”, in the “informational” section. As simple as that.

I’m not seeing that increase in CPU usage here after running Quick Scan and Vulnerability Scan both with their subsequent banner and action center entries.  My desktop PC has a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU and the current CPU usage for both avp.exe and avpui.exe is 0%.  If you add the “CPU Time” column in Task Manager, total avp.exe usage is 15m49s and avpui.exe is 1m39s whereas System Idle Process is 62hr15m00s approx (keep in mind that each real time second is 12 CPU Time seconds as the CPU is of the 6 cores / 12 threads kind).

By the way, I see there’s an (a) revision of the latest version of KIS released on 2021/03/22, and it says “In patch A we have fixed several application issues.” but it hasn’t filtered down to my system yet so not sure if that includes a fix for the notification issue.

Hello @snask

Patch A for MR3 has been released.

New versions & patches are released in staggered distributions, across the globe, that translates to, not every get’s the version/patch on the same day, the distribution can takes days to weeks to complete the full rollout. 

To apply a patch, make sure you shutdown the device using Shutdown, not Restart, at least once a week. 

Re “we (Kaspersky) have fixed several application issues.”

Kaspersky rarely release & or elaborate on that generic statement; which, from a user perspective, makes it particularly hard to know or even be bothered trying to work out if a significant issue has been fixed. 

Rest assured, if, after Patch A does arrive, you find the issue persists, and you communicate that to Kaspersky, you may be expected to provide more data. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

“To apply a patch, make sure you shutdown the device using Shutdown, not Restart, at least once a week.”

Thanks, that is useful to know. I wasn’t aware that a mere Restart isn’t enough and I need to cold restart from a power off / Shutdown to potentially get the latest Kaspersky to download onto my system.

I have tried advanced diagnostics in the past (swearing loudly at my computer), but it has always proven to be unfruitful 😃 .

“To apply a patch, make sure you shutdown the device using Shutdown, not Restart, at least once a week.”

Thanks, that is useful to know. I wasn’t aware that a mere Restart isn’t enough and I need to cold restart from a power off / Shutdown to potentially get the latest Kaspersky to download onto my system. I have tried advanced diagnostics in the past (swearing loudly at my computer), but it has always proven to be unfruitful 😃 .

Hello @snask

You’re most welcome☺

We use the “swearing loudly at the computer” solution so we don’t end up banging our head, repeatedly, into a wall😁

Patches arrive “silently” & wait for 168 hours, before alerts start, if a device is not shutdown, in that 168 hours, there will be the following:

1. The Kaspersky icon, in the Windows hidden icons will turn red.
  2. In the KIS main window, there will be a Recommendation. 
  3. Selecting Details (for the Recommendation) will show a “Computer requires a Reboot” or words to that effect. 
  4. A similarly worded alert will “pop” in the Windows Notification centre.
  5. In the MyKaspersky account, Devices tab, the device image will have an Orange screen.
  6. In the MyKaspersky account, in the Notification centre, there will be a “Computer requires a Reboot” notification, or words to that effect. 

Cheers,

Flood🐳 +🐋

This bothered me too, but the Windows notification center getting cluttered for silly things like context menu scans was not the worst issue. It turns out that the KIS interface’s (avpui.exe) CPU usage increases slightly because of handling those notifications that go through Windows notifications system, and it never goes down to normal levels until reboot. Same happens with other KIS notifications such as advertisement popups.

I’m not seeing that increase in CPU usage here after running Quick Scan and Vulnerability Scan both with their subsequent banner and action center entries.  My desktop PC has a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU and the current CPU usage for both avp.exe and avpui.exe is 0%.  If you add the “CPU Time” column in Task Manager, total avp.exe usage is 15m49s and avpui.exe is 1m39s whereas System Idle Process is 62hr15m00s approx (keep in mind that each real time second is 12 CPU Time seconds as the CPU is of the 6 cores / 12 threads kind).

I should’ve been more specific, the increase I see is less than a percentage. Avpui.exe usually idles at 0.0% CPU but when affected it will fluctuate between that and anything between 1.0%, usually something closer to 0. It depends on CPU speed and threading capabilities how noticeable it is.

Version 21.2.16.590c was affected also, I noticed this first when it displayed a popup about trying the quick scan. I removed that and installed 21.3.10.391 clean.

Hi !

Was your notification problem solved by patch ?

Running 21.3.10.391(a) here, and I still have these “scan complete” annoying notifications …

Hi there smu44

Alas no, 21.3.10.391(a) didn’t fix this minor issue but I didn’t expect it to as my original report vs patch (a)’s release was too close together to expect otherwise.

The last update I received from Kaspersky Support was on March 26th as they said the problem was twice kicked upstairs from the support team then to the escalation team then to the developer team so I think we can be reasonably confident that the next minor revision will include a fix for this minor annoyance.  If not the next minor revision (b?), then the next maintenance release (MR).

Thanks

snask