KIS makes decisions its not supposed to, Automatic version upgrade.

ias0na
Go to solution Solved by Igor Kurzin,

I have spent a considerable amount of time, in order to have software behave exactly the way I want to. This is the very first thing I do with every software/tool that I install/use. So the security software is no exception.

As far as KIS goes, I have set a custom level of protection, keeping only the features that I need. I have also explicitely selected that updating is to be done manually only.

And yet, KIS chose to ignore my settings. A month ago, a friend with whom we bought a multi-license for KIS, complained that ‘something changed’ to his KIS and that some additional apps came up (Safe Money). Initially I didn’t pay much attention, as I though that he did something wrong and update the app (I have configured his as well)

Just moments ago, I got a message from KIS that “PC needs to be restarted”. So wtf? Does KIS silently updates the app? Without user consent? Even though I have explicitely set everything to manual? My KIS jumped to version 21.2.16.590 without me knowing, and without even asking me if I wanted to perform an app update.

I find it totally unacceptable for software to take decisions on its own - and against my consent.

I expect some explanation on this by someone within the architect/development team. If you chose not to correct this in the immediate future, or at least provide users with a visible, obvious option e.g. “application update » manual/disabled”, then I m afraid to say that this product doesn’t meet my requirements and I won’t be renewing my license. Software that goes against human decision is no good software - its more like malware behaviour.

It is my right as a user to chose what I want the software to do. Not vice versa! So when I chose custom settings for KIS and manual update only, that includes also the app. I don’t want any app downloading/installing occurring without my say so. If you wish to make this software appealing to n00b users only, who can’t make desicions on their own, so be it. But in this case, let me know.

I hope I was clear.

• Solution

Hi @ias0na , 

I see your point, in the current version the automatic update cannot be disabled, this may change in the future. 

The workaround is to disable the automatic update via registry: 

1. Disable Self-Defense 
2. Exit Kaspersky product
3. Add the following parameters in system registry: 
For x64 systems:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\KasperskyLab\AVP20.0\environment (20.0, or 21.1, or, 21.2 - depending on the version you have installed)
add a STRING parameter IsVersionUpdateEnabled with value 0.
For x86 systems:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab\AVP20.0\environment
4. Start Kaspersky product
5. Enable Self-defense

Regards,

Igor

Hi @ias0na , 

I see your point, in the current version the automatic update cannot be disabled, this may change in the future. 

1. Disable Self-Defense 
For x64 systems:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\KasperskyLab\AVP20.0\environment (20.0, or 21.1, or, 21.2 - depending on the version you have installed)
For x86 systems:
5. Enable Self-defense

Regards,

Igor

I ll follow that process, thanks

Still, I think it would make sense to have this option available within the GUI, instead of people having to resort to registry mods. If I wish to stick with a particular version, that’s my decision (and my risk if something goes wrong..). But still my decision, so there has to be an option for it.

One more thing I ve just noticed.

The ‘update’ took place by installing the new version of KIS in the default location (under program files folder) and not where I had it originally installed (custom location). Which also kind of sucks. I want to keep my apps in certain folder. Again, my choice.

I hope you make a note of that and have it sorted too

Also realised that upon inserting an external drive, KIS scans it automatically. Although this is a nice feature for novice users, I have other means in place in order to protect from such threats, so I don’t need it. How do I disable that?

1. The ‘update’ took place by installing the new version of KIS in the default location (under program files folder) and not where I had it originally installed (custom location).
  2. Upon inserting an external drive, KIS scans it automatically. How do I disable that?

Hello @ias0na

Thanks for posting back👌

1. The install default path is preset, designed by Kaspersky experts, for best protection, while your configuration may be safe, there’s a possibility other user’s config is not, if Kaspersky install accepted user defaults and their systems were compromised, users may hold Kaspersky responsible.  
  2. Toggle Removable drives scan OFF

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋  

1. The ‘update’ took place by installing the new version of KIS in the default location (under program files folder) and not where I had it originally installed (custom location).
  2. Upon inserting an external drive, KIS scans it automatically. How do I disable that?

Hello @ias0na

Thanks for posting back👌

1. The install default path is preset, designed by Kaspersky experts, for best protection, while your configuration may be safe, there’s a possibility other user’s config is not, if Kaspersky install accepted user defaults and their systems were compromised, users may hold Kaspersky responsible.  
  2. Toggle Removable drives scan OFF

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋  

Regarding the installation path, my point was that it should have been retained in my case. I get it that “program files” as a system protected folder may provide for some additional protection (if any!). But still, since KIS took the liberty to auto-update the entire app, it should at least sticked to a custom installation folder (since I specified that). A custom installation path was given for a reason, and KIS should have at least respected that. Now, my only option would be to uninstall and re-install the entire app (also an inconvenience, as I m concerned of losing other settings) For me, that’s an improvement point also. Architects should take into account someone with a custom config - give the freedom to have certain decisions made by the human - even for the rest 95% of users who don’t bother and just want to have an antivirus running onto their PCs..

I can see that all remaining preferences that I had were retained (as they should). Not sure about the removable drive auto-scan (perhaps thats a new feature or I had also disabled it a long time ago and can’t remember..)

• 1 month later...

I agree absolutely with 

• ias0na

• The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago.I had also indicated that i did not want auto updates.My question pointed me to this post.

I’m not really tech savvy to be messing about in the registry so for the moment i’ll have to live with it.

I agree absolutely with 

• ias0na

• The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago.I had also indicated that i did not want auto updates.My question pointed me to this post.

I’m not really tech savvy to be messing about in the registry so for the moment i’ll have to live with it.

Point here is that you shouldn’t have to ‘live with it’ or have to be tech savvy in order to make those changes.

Architects/developers should have given an option (via the GUI) for the user to configure those aspects of the software to suit their needs.

So in my opinion, at the moment, Kaspersky has taken a wrong turn here. I m expecting to see this issue addressed in future releases, otherwise, I won’t be renewing my license, as the software doesn’t do what I want it to do. I want to have the freedom to chose that newer versions are not installed/forced automatically, but only when/if I want it to (and me accepting to take the risk for running an older version!)

I hope that this thread is taken into account and those issues are addressed.

I could not agree with the OP more. I pay for the software and while I understand that I do not “own” the software, I DO own my computer. If I wish you continue to use a version that is say one version behind the current version so that I may wait and see how the newer version works on others computers or to install it on a non critical system for testing, that should be my decision, NOT the software manufacturer. I truly hope Kaspersky will rethink their decision in this matter. 

• 2 months later...

Hi @ias0na , 

1. Disable Self-Defense 
For x64 systems:
For x86 systems:
5. Enable Self-defense

Regards,

Igor

Hello Igor, I’m running Total and it just updated to v2.3.10.391 without my knowledge. That causes the hair on my neck to raise up. Does this workaround you posted work on Total also? Thank you Frank

PS. I have my conspiracy theory why Kaspersky made it automatic but that gets into politics so I’ll leave it alone. 1984