KIS for Mac: Big Sur, M1, KAVD Memory Leak?

Go to solution Solved by Danila T.,

I am running Kaspersky Internet Security 21 on Big Sur 11 (M1) and have noticed that process kavd appears to consume more memory over a short period of time in one day. Attached are a few Activity Monitor screenshots, 255mb at startup. Note, I attempted to trigger this problem faster by issuing database update requests multiple times and performing a full file scan. The process reached over 800mb when scan started, reached well over 1gb, then freed up some memory when complete, to 964mb. Is 1gb of memory consumption considered normal?

Hello @KaspersMick

Welcome!

Please log a case; Kaspersky Technical Support will need to look at Traces, Logs & other data to assist you with this issue:

• After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will be in touch, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in your MyKaspersky account.

Please share the outcome with the Community when it’s available? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

• 1 month later...

Thanks. Yes, I saw the update was available a couple of weeks ago. I have installed it and been running with it since then. I see that it has been built for the Apple architecture, and seems to be somewhat of an improvement. However, the kavd process still appears to have a memory leak, ultimately resulting in network issues or finally in a crash. I suggest allowing it to run on a m1-based machine of your own for a couple of days to see what I mean.

• 3 months later...

If you want to be bothered, you can contact their support and offer them access to your logs, etc. I simply periodically kill the process in activity monitor and let it start a new one, waiting for a future update to fix the problem.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I already updated to his/ksc 21.1.0150 patch a,b,c on Big Sur and still have the problem with Kavd

Hello @wisey

Welcome!

Please log a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, fill in Application malfunctionOther template; support may request logs, traces & other data, they will guide you: 

• After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will be in touch, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in their MyKaspersky account.

➡ Please share the outcome with the Community when it’s available? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Additional resource:

Contacting Technical Support

• 1 month later...

I’m running the latest version 21.1.0150a.b.c on Big Sur on an Intel MacBook Pro 15 with Touch Bar and my kavd process is reporting over 3GB.  I’ve checked for new versions and it says I’m up to date.  I’ve always been happy with KIS on Windows, but I think it may be getting deleted from my Mac as this isn’t acceptable.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Please use a new version of the KIS 2021 for Mac (build number 21.1.0.150)

Download from this link:

https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/thank-you/mac-security

Issue already fixed in the KIS\KSC 21.1.0.150 patch C. Update base of KIS\KSC 21.1.0.150 and restart macOS.

Hi, I think the issue has not been fixed it. I am on MacOS Monetery 12.0.1 and the issue is still there in the version that you mentioned. Could you please take a look at this ASAP?

I have been using Kaspersky for a long period of time in Windows Environment and I did not see any issues but I am seeing a lot of memory leakage in MacOS now.

Could you please explain what do you mean by unloading the WindowServer process? Do you mean to force close it? Please note that I can not force close it as it a native macOS process.

Also, could you please explain how is this related to the main issue where which is kavd process taking so much RAM than usual?

Force-quitting WindowServer will close all active applications, refresh the operating system (not reinstalling), and log you out of your Mac. When you sign back in, macOS will automatically launch WindowServer in the background again and the cycle continues (perhaps this will help). But, better yet, create a support request: https://support.kaspersky.com/b2c#contacts As we will need the logs to analyse the problem.