KIS blocking youtube until Firefox is reset, Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_MALFORMED_SERVER_HELLO

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Hi, this issue is reoccurring using Firefox 96.02

youtube.com returns the following until I remove the Firefox application in Manage Applications within Kapersky Internet Security 21.3.10.391 (g) and restart Firefox

Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_MALFORMED_SERVER_HELLO

The remove/readd Firefox to applications works for a day or so then the problem returns and I have to redo it again, probably every reboot

That was bad, now I have to add every single SSL site to exclusions every time I open a page

→ Did you install the Mozilla certificate on your computer?

→ Do you use a VPN or proxy in the browser?

→ Have you made any recent changes to your Kaspersky network settings?

You can try this:

In Kaspersky do:
→ Network Settings
→ Scroll down and check “Check for secure traffic in Mozilla applications
→ Within that check “Use Windows certificate repository

In Mozilla Firefox, do:

In the URL bar of Mozilla Firefox, type “about:config” without the quotes.

Paste the following commands one at a time and make the changes.

security.tls.version.max         (Put 3 in place of the value in this option)
security.osclientcerts.autoload          (Mark true)
security.tls.hello_downgrade_check         (Mark false)

Close the browser and try again to see if the problem has been solved.

If you are still unsuccessful in solving the issue, you can contact Kaspersky's technical support. For this question, please contact Technical Support: My Kaspersky - Support Link

Please provide as much information as possible such as operating system version, version of your Kaspersky product, when the issue started and other information.

Okay, today youtube.com itself works, however, when it’s embedded in sites like reddit.com it still shows an error, different this time:

Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_MAC_READ

Hello @trinaryouroboros,

→ Are you using more than one antivirus software simultaneously? As I understand it, this problem occurs when there is more than one antivirus software installed on the machine.

The solution proposed by the Mozilla Firefox support team is to restore the Firefox settings, you can check the step by step here.

If you are still unsuccessful in solving the issue, you can contact Kaspersky's technical support. For this question, please contact Technical Support: My Kaspersky - Support Link

Please provide as much information as possible such as operating system version, version of your Kaspersky product, when the issue started and other information.

• Solution

​Hello @trinaryouroboros,

→ When did all this trouble start?

→ Are you using more than one antivirus software simultaneously? As I understand it, this problem occurs when there is more than one antivirus software installed on the machine.

The solution proposed by the Mozilla Firefox support team is to restore the Firefox settings, you can check the step by step here.

If you are still unsuccessful in solving the issue, you can contact Kaspersky's technical support: My Kaspersky - Support Link

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue.

I don’t suggest to edit Firefox tags as the edit can create security issues if you don’t know what you are doing. As Firefox say when you enter on about config, editing tag can be a risk.

If you choose to edit Firefox tag, you should know deep every tag you edit what means and what can be the consequence. Editing tags that regards SSL can be, on my point of view, dangerous and… I truly believe the issue is not Firefox but Kaspersky.

To me looks like s Kaspersky that create issue, for me this is a BUG of the version  21.3.10.391 g

Deactivating Kaspersky certificate check resolve the issue than if you reactivate the monitor the issue will happen again some days or week.

I discussed this here and also alerted a Kaspersky forum member about this strong and frequent issue, that I had again today.

Contacting Kaspersky by ticket will be not helpful if you have not a paid plan, this is my experience on more ticket opened with them.

The ticket support always sent to me a saved email reply where they say that support are not provided on the free version. (This even if I was reporting a bug, I get always this reply and ticket closed).

• This topic has been flagged as replied with a reply that doesn’t help, on my opinion or, if resolve to me looks like a dangerous suggestion edit Firefox hidden tags related to SSL.
  • This issue is something caused by Kaspersky, once disabled the SSL control this issue simply is resolved but you have not SSL monitor from the Kaspersky security so disable is something I want to avoid.

At the moment there is no solution for fix this. This is my opinion, considering editing Firefox tags is not a solution that I trust.

Deactivating Kaspersky SSL check resolve the issue so, the issue is caused by Kaspersky.

You get also errors if you update Thunderbird, Kaspersky will start to say that Windows traffic are not monitored.

It’s all Kaspersky issue caused; this need someone of the team take care about that or will stay unresolved.

→ When did all this trouble start?

I’m not using any proxy or VPN even in the browser.
I never touched Kaspersky network settings
The issue is present since I use Kaspersky

I’m using only Kaspersky, no other antivirus.

Note that:

I can surf as today without problem YouTube video or YouTube Music than after a while, randomly… never know the day and the week Kaspersky decide to broken for some minutes the issue start to exist. May be 5 or 10 minutes long and after that time, even not changing any settings, the issue is resolved.

This broke YouTube videos, reproduction of music and broke YouTube embed video on websites, even Youtube website cannot be opened during the issue.

Hello @o87,

possibly Kaspersky has already identified and fixed the problem.

The upcoming patch 'H' also addresses 'compatibility issues with Firefox'.
According to the roadmap, you should receive it by mid-February.

I hope. This issue made my Internet to be often broken. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem, a long time ago, I have reported it to kaspersky, but they always give me solutions that are not recommended, such as disabling the scanning of ssl connections or tell my that the problem was my computer and not kaspersky (I knew it was a kaspersky problem), and I don't know why kaspersky does not admit the problem and continues to give solutions that do not work.

Now I have patch (h) and the problem continues, I hope they solve this problem faster, it's been around for a long time.

Sad to hear about wrong suggestions and that patch H never resolve the certificate scan issue. I never get patch H yet but is a great issue that is enougth to leave Kaspersky if this never get resolved.. or need to disable SSL scsnning that is not very a great solution.

The nice thing of this question / topic is that also if is not resolved was flagged as resolved with a “useful” reply.

Hello @o87 & others, 

Just to ‘explain’ the sometimes confusing ANSWER/SOLVED status of a topic, when clearly, the topic is not solved, the issue is not resolved at all…. 

A REPLY in a topic may be marked as BEST ANSWER, at any time, by the topic author, a Kaspersky (Community)  employee, a Kaspersky (employee) Community Administrator & or a Kaspersky Community Moderator.

The topic author may even select their ‘own’ reply as BEST ANSWER. 

It appears as tho some Kaspersky (Community) employee(s), Kaspersky (employee(s) Community Administrator(s) & or a Kaspersky Community Moderator(s) reply to a topic & immediately mark their reply as BEST ANSWER, irrespective of whether or not that is actually the case. 

In reality, the ANSWER/SOLVED, may not accurately reflect the status of an ongoing issue. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hello,

we have faced to these errors only when SSL-scan settings were set to -Always scan encrypted connections.

Please check encrypted connections settings in Kaspersky settings, make sure, that it has default settings: 

-Scan encrypted connections upon request from components.

If the problem persists with default settings, create the request to technical support:

https://support.kaspersky.com/b2c/Global?_ga=2.112673602.736012082.1645197954-1355594973.1633198103#

Submit us traces with reboot and the problem reproduction:

https://support.kaspersky.com/15535

and send the number of Incident to me. 

Thank you.

I feel not sure on sharing a lot of logs about my PC so maybe I will not send.
The issue seems happen when Kaspersky start to download updates: my PC and Internet get frozen than after the update YouTube never load anymore.

Also google never load for a very short time, some seconds but after a refresh all works back normally, for YouTube the issue is more long.

Patch H never resolve this issues.