KIS blocking youtube until Firefox is reset, Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_MALFORMED_SERVER_HELLO

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Hello,

I created the Bug 5501363: [SUPPORT] Youtube and some other google sites do not open in Firefox with SSL_ERROR_RX_MALFORMED_SERVER_HELLO

and I will keep you informed. 

Workaround, which must help to resolve the issue: add problematic domain to SSL-scan. Also one customer informed us, that opening new tab with problematic domain helps to resolve the issue. 

Thank you. 

Thank you for the information and logs, developers are working on it in frames of the mentioned above bug.  Now we have only two sets of logs. We need more logs from affected customers, because there are two SSL-errors were described in this topic:

SSL_ERROR_RX_MALFORMED_SERVER_HELLO

SSL_ERROR_BAD_MAC_READ

It looks like they are related, but we need more information about problem reproduction and traces from affected machines in order to resolve this issue.

Thank you.

Maybe the issue is present when is selected to use Mozilla certificate.

Have you tried to set to use Microsoft certificate?
In the past this option seems broke completely Internet but with version H closing and opening again the browser seems fine. I don’t know if this helps to avoid this issue but you @MirceaForce  can check if in settings, network, scan you have selected to use Mozilla or Windows cert.

I’m trying now to use windows cert.

Maybe the issue is present when is selected to use Mozilla certificate.

Have you tried to set to use Microsoft certificate?
In the past this option seems broke completely Internet but with version H closing and opening again the browser seems fine. I don’t know if this helps to avoid this issue but you @MirceaForce  can check if in settings, network, scan you have selected to use Mozilla or Windows cert.

I’m trying now to use windows cert.

Why to use another certificate ?? this has to work as it is...

I’m having the same problem for several months. This problem is only with YouTube site.

I can temporaly solve it with one of the several ways:

1. Restart FireFox.
  2. Open and close FireFox private window and then reload page.
  3. Go to about:config and change security.tls.version.max from default 4 to 3 AND BACK TO 4 and reload page.

Using FireFox 97.0.1 and KIS 21.3.10.391(h). But it started several months ago.

PS Sorry for my bad english.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this will help or if related but was having certificate issues for weeks. Through this thread thought I’d check the Network settings. At the bottom I checked use “Windows certificate store (recommended)” and hey presto, problem gone.

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2022 at 11:48 PM, Mikhail Shakhov said:

Hello,

developers have analyzed the issue. The fix will be implemented in next version of the product. 

Workaround is described here: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/em250h/ssl_error_rx_malformed_server_hello_with_the_new/

Workaround using Kaspersky:  to add youtube.com to SSL-check exclusions. 

Thank you. 

This is not good enough. I'm paying for a security software that blocks my access to YouTube, a website with no apparent security threats, because of a bug that will only be fixed in the next version for reasons unknown.

Please explain the sense behind this answer and why I or anyone else would continue using Kaspersky.

• 4 months later...

Still getting this error. Latest versions of Kaspersky Security Cloud along with definitions and Firefox. If I temporarily disable Kaspersky the url instantly loads. What is annoying is that it doesn't happen consistently. It will do it for a bit and then eventually clear itself up. I've already done all of the Kaspersky certificate suggestions as well. It seems to only be Youtube as well.

Just now, slynn said:

Still getting this error. Latest versions of Kaspersky Security Cloud along with definitions and Firefox. If I temporarily disable Kaspersky the url instantly loads. What is annoying is that it doesn't happen consistently. It will do it for a bit and then eventually clear itself up. I've already done all of the Kaspersky certificate suggestions as well. It seems to only be Youtube as well.

For example, I've been spamming try again since I posted this and it decided to load just fine. Didn't change a thing.

Very frustrating.