KIS and NordVPN, slow web pages. [Closed]

Go to solution Solved by Hawker,

KIS 2019 is stopping me from accessing dnsleak.com and may be reponsible for slowing down my vpn as web pages take ages to load and sometimes(often) cutoff. In addition my BT email connection sometimes hangs and sometimes takes ages. web pages sometimes just hang but when I switch KIS off they work fine whether with my VPN or not.

Hello Hawker, Welcome! There are a number of posts across the Community reporting same/similar issues to yours. This document may help:https://support.kaspersky.com/common/error/other/9042 If not please provide GSI https://support.kaspersky.com/common/diagnostics/3632#block7 (please select "include Windows logs") as well. The GSI can be uploaded to cloud storage of your choice, please post back the link. If you've performed any diagnostic speedtests - with & without KIS active & have those logs, please also add them to the cloud storage upload. Also, you'll note in some of the posts Kaspersky Lab Employees requesting OPs to create Incident/s & post back or pm the Inc #, that's also an option. Many thanks!

If I uninstall KIS then it appears there are no issues and my email send/receive is instant once more. My web pages load quickly. I was advised to download latest KIS 2020 and did this but it still hung when I triede to send/receive email. I have malwarebytes and so I have protection while KIS is uninstalled. What is my next step?

Hello Hawker, Yes, I understand, with KIS uninstalled the issues are resolved. I've also read commentary advising impacted users to install 2020 & those users reporting back the situation was worse than 1809. Are you able to:
  1. Provide GSI https://support.kaspersky.com/common/diagnostics/3632#block7 (please select "include Windows logs") as well.
  2. The GSI can be uploaded to cloud storage of your choice, please post back the link.
  3. If you've performed any diagnostic speedtests - with & without KIS active & have those logs, please also add them to the cloud storage upload.
  4. Alternatively, you may wish to follow the advice from Kaspersky Lab Employees requesting OPs to create Incident/s & post back or pm the Inc#, that's also an option, which can be done via your MyKaspersky account - https://my.kaspersky.com/
Please let us know? Thanks.

I now realise that for quite some time I have been waiting ages for web pages to load and waiting for my email to send/receive and the culprit seems to be KIS. This is wasting a lot of time in my life and I am not going to give it to the KIS app. I have uninstalled it and I am in no rush to reinstall it. Kaspersky need to do something to win me back and there is only so much messing about with KIS that I would be prepared to tolerate. I use NordVPN and there are clearly issues between the two applications. KIS 2020 was just as bad. as my email started hanging straight away. Without KIS my computer is doing fine and web pages load straight away and sending/receiving email is pretty much instant. I will continue using Malwarebytes in isolation as it seems to look after the PC and is not interfering with performance.

• Solution
I notice the "like" I saw earlier for my last post has disappeared! I got an email from NordVPN advising me of the steps they take to configure KIS with the NordVPN app. I have just reinstalled KIS and applied these settings. All seems well for now but I will keep trying the web pages and email send/receive to see that this has worked. If it doesn't work this time then KIS is coming off. I just don't want to waste any more of my life on this issue.

Hello Hawker, Re the "Likes" on/off. There's a "Likes" logic that has rules known only to ":thinking:dunno:thinking:". "Likes" seem to yoyo up & down, for example, a Moderator had 35+ "Likes" 1 day & the next was down to 20, the day after he disappeared of the "Likes" tally table completely, like, how is that possible? You can always "Like" your own post, I don't think anyone can modify that - although, maybe the mods/admins can, not really sure:thinking: I've concluded I don't like "Likes", simply bc how they're "managed" is not transparent...

Yes, Hawker re-enable it. And, if it does stop everything working again please provide us with the previously requested GSI/Windows logs/images, so we can "try" to help you, it's really hard without information specific to your situation to provide anything other than generic guidance & that's not the way to solve things. If you choose not to provide the data then the only other option is to reach out to Kaspersky Technical Lab & trust me, that's not without pain or as you say, ditch Kaspersky software & go with what works for you. Thanks!.

Hello Hawker, Hemm, where to start?? BSODs, bug checks, failed upds: I can see you've not had a happy time! May I ask please: is there a reason (as in: "your choice") the computer is still on W10 1803? I have a number of possible "explanations", "solutions" however, it depends on: 1. Your answers. 2. Your decision on which road you'd be most comfortable, happy with, given you're pretty sick of the computer/software misbehaving so much, which btw, I totally understand - I would be too!. Please let us know? Thanks!

I have Win 10 on auto updates so I leave it alone. I did not know there was not an update to the latest version. I have checked Windows Updates and it says up to date. How do I update it to the latest version? The issue returned this morning despite switching off KIS. So I have uninstalled it and will see how it runs today. I don't mind faffing around with it a bit more but would like it to be a short time investment if possible. Thanks for the help so far.

Checked Windows Updates and it says up to date. How do I update it to the latest version?
Hello Hawker, Thanks for posting back! Before updating anything please do the following:
  1. start cmd, enter "sysver" enter
Please post back: Windows specifications:
  1. Edition?
  2. Version?
  3. Date?
  4. OS Build?
We can help with all updates, fixes & possible reasons for what's going on but need to do this methodically, there may be a bit of "faffing". I've sent you a PM. Thanks so much!

Thanks Hawker, The Opsys is two major releases behind. First step/suggestion, bring Opsys up to current version, to prepare for this, we need to do the following" Do you have backsups? Have you created a recent restore point? Do you have a system image? If NO to ANY of the last 3 questions:
  1. Please create a full backup on a removable drive.
  2. Please create a system image.
  3. Please create a restore point.
Ref doco: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-make-full-backup-windows-10 https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4027538/windows-create-a-system-restore-point Post back when these are done please? Thanks!

I have now created restore point. Dont know why it was switched off - I didnt set it that way so I am unsure as to how it happened. Any ideas? How do I create a system image? And can I put it on my USB flash drive which I will use for backup? How big will the backup be? I have an unused 64GB flash drive will this do?