Kespersky VPN secure connection

I have been running with my Kaspersky Total Security disabled because it is seriously slowing down my connection. I have a 300Mbps connection, and can speedtest 200-300 on a regular basis. With Kaspersky Total Security enabled, I can test 20-50 MAX. Why does this happen?

Hello Omar.O, Welcome! There are many factors that may contribute to the issue you've identified. If KSC/VPN is licensed, please contact Kaspersky Technical Support so they can work with you to determine the root cause. The Technical Team will guide you to collect data, traces, logs, that may highlight any issues. Such data will help the team analyse any issues. Also, the team will ask you to clarify if the issue is KTS ( "I have been running with my Kaspersky Total Security disabled " ) or KSC/VPN ( " Kaspersky VPN secure connection " ) ? Thank you:pray_tone3:. Kaspersky Secure Connection Library Kaspersky Total Security Library

• 4 weeks later...

This is a consequence of using a VPN connection. You might see a better speed if you select a test server with the word ‘fibre’ in its name but don’t count on it.

All VPNs work by connecting your PC to a proxy server through a tunnel (an encrypted connection between your network adaptor and the remote proxy). This has two effects:

• it introduces extra delays as the physical connection is longer (and consequently passes through additional cables/fibres, routers, switches etc.). That’s why the ping time on the test connection will leap from around 10ms to something over 50ms. The higher the ping time the slower the connection because, what looks like a single transaction, is actually made up of very many two way communications that take something like twice the ping time to complete;
  • the remote proxy will not be set up to handle your 300mbps connection as such speeds are still rare in the UK. The proxy will probably be set up to handle connections at a maximum speed of around the 50mbps that you are seeing. This maximises the number of simulaneous proxy connections that each server can handle so keeping capital and operating costs down.